e bikes and effort

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mercalia

e bikes and effort

Post by mercalia »

I thought you had to pedal? seems not this guy on his e-bike started from the traffic lights with a it seems just a temporary push on the pedals. went off very nicely. He clearly didnt use the pedals much as the chain was very very rusty.
gaz

Re: e bikes and effort

Post by gaz »

You have to pedal a pedelec, you don't have to pedal an e-bike. http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libra ... ctric-bike
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think new bikes have to be pedelec, mine is a conversion so I am allowed throttle only
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Current guidelines.
Since January 2016 "Twist and Go" machines require either type approval or individual approval before being used on UK roads.

Not my area of expertise, feel free to google if you wish for additional information/interpretation.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

gaz wrote:Current guidelines.
Since January 2016 "Twist and Go" machines require either type approval or individual approval before being used on UK roads.

Not my area of expertise, feel free to google if you wish for additional information/interpretation.

I can had a little to that. Since there is no procedure for individual approval in the "EAPC" class, it is being waved therefore "Twist and Go" machines are legal without approval if a conversion of an existing used pedal cycle. That's from the DfT. "Twist and Go" machines first used before Jan 2016 are also legal.

However, "going away nicely" and a red rusty chain does suggest an illegally overpowered machine. Legal "Twist and Go" e-bikes (250W nominal) barely accelerate without pedaling and neither battery nor motor would last long.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

My memory tells me that Twist & Go, to the old UK regs, was limited to 200W, rather than the 250W allowed by the EU pedal assist regs.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

It doesn't matter what the regulations are ... many bikes are sold for off road use and do not have to meet any regs ..... Our local J E James is full of them ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ruadh495 wrote:
gaz wrote:Current guidelines.

I can had a little to that. Since there is no procedure for individual approval in the "EAPC" class, it is being waved therefore "Twist and Go" machines are legal without approval if a conversion of an existing used pedal cycle. That's from the DfT. "Twist and Go" machines first used before Jan 2016 are also legal.

However, "going away nicely" and a red rusty chain does suggest an illegally overpowered machine. Legal "Twist and Go" e-bikes (250W nominal) barely accelerate without pedaling and neither battery nor motor would last long.

Really? I go away from lights reasonably nicely with the twist - albeit I have to start pedalling fairly soon to keep that acceleration going, but it does allow me to stay in a slightly higher gear than I otherwise would
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Post by gaz »

andrew_s wrote:My memory tells me that Twist & Go, to the old UK regs, was limited to 200W, rather than the 250W allowed by the EU pedal assist regs.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libra ... egulations

The continuous rated output of the motor must not exceed 200 watts if fitted to a solo bicycle, or 250 watts in the case of a tandem or tricycle.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

gaz wrote:
andrew_s wrote:My memory tells me that Twist & Go, to the old UK regs, was limited to 200W, rather than the 250W allowed by the EU pedal assist regs.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libra ... egulations

The continuous rated output of the motor must not exceed 200 watts if fitted to a solo bicycle, or 250 watts in the case of a tandem or tricycle.

That's from the 1983 UK EAPC regs, which were amended in April 2015 to bring them into line with the EU Regs, allowing 250W for all but the requirement for pedaling was not added. Therefore for a brief period between April 2015 and January 2016 it was entirely legal to place a 250W "Twist and Go" in service. If placed in service in this period the bike remains legal.

Weight restrictions were also removed. It looks like the CUK library could do with an update.
E bike fan

Post by E bike fan »

I too am confused about twist and goes. On the one hand they became illegal in Jan 2016, but on the other the regulations also say that continuous intervention to draw power must be applied by the rider, with default (presumably no intervention) being off,a facility which a spring return throttle exhibits.
Please can any one clarify, because if the bike is a motor vehicle in the law's eyes, one could receive licence penalties and prosecution for no tax etc.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Just to make things clear on the OP.
If you have a Bosch (or any other pedelec I imagine) yes you can pull away with hardly a press on the pedals if you leave it in turbo mode.
Obviously for battery conservation and the need to actually put some effort into your ride you wouldn’t want to leave it in turbo mode for any length of time.
Beauty will save the world.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mid drive bikes can get away reasonably quickly by virtue of the gears.

I haven't fitted a throttle to mine so can't comment other than to say I've 'idly' peddled to see how much 'go' it has.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Twist and go is legal though you need to pedal to activate it whilst riding, other wise they are only meant to 4mph /6kmh walk assist mode when not pedalling.
Saying that 4 of my ebikes are all configured via the set up menus for max throttle op at all times.