Electric bicycle recommendations?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
errjam1

Electric bicycle recommendations?

Post by errjam1 »

Hi
I am looking to buy a new electric bike and I would like some help. The bike will be used mostly in the city during summer and winter.

I don't know any technical details of bicycles, but I have chosen 3 of those I felt looks good. 7k is my budget, but lesser the price the better.
Here are my choices

[removed by Graham]

I would like advice from people who own these bikes or any of similar kind. Suggestion and advice need not be limited to these. If you can suggest me another choice, another brand or anything at all, it'll be really great.

Thanks!
squeaker

Re: Electric bicycle recommendations?

Post by squeaker »

"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

errjam1 wrote:Hi
I am looking to buy a new electric bike and I would like some help . . .
[ Cites models with prices in US dollars] . . . . .

Er, why the $ pricing - are you in the USA? (If yes, different rules apply eg your second choice would need insurance and a motorcycle helmet in the EU.)
"42"
errjam1

Post by errjam1 »

Thank you for the replies. I will go through it.
squeaker wrote:Scan AtoB's online guide / reviews.
HTH
squeaker wrote:
Er, why the $ pricing - are you in the USA? (If yes, different rules apply eg your second choice would need insurance and a motorcycle helmet in the EU.)
Please ignore the pricing. Just need advice on how good the bikes are. Helmets and insurance are not a problem, but why a motor cycle helmet?
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

errjam1 wrote:Helmets and insurance are not a problem, but why a motor cycle helmet?
Because it's not restricted to 25kph so is classed as a moped... See AtoB legislation article ;)
"42"
errjam1

Post by errjam1 »

Thanks again. :)
hondated

Post by hondated »

squeaker wrote:
errjam1 wrote:Helmets and insurance are not a problem, but why a motor cycle helmet?
Because it's not restricted to 25kph so is classed as a moped... See AtoB legislation article ;)

Why ! Nanny state again I expect.
Saw a car programme some time ago now which demonstrated an electric car that French youngsters can drive without a driving licence. Go figure !
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Because there needs to be a division between an electrically assisted bike and a motorbike (and a moped, which was always a fudge).

So in the UK/EU you are limited to 250W whilst under 15mph.
I you get power over that speed or get more than 250W then you are no longer an e-assist bike, but are now a moped.

If you exceed the specified restrictions on a moped then you become a motorbike.

All three classes of vehicle have different regulations governing their use on the road.

I'd be really interested to see what an unrestricted 1kW motor would do at the rear of my low racer...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd be really interested to see what an unrestricted 1kW motor would do at the rear of my low racer...

Just under 50mph on the flat according to Kreuzotter :lol:

1kWlr.jpg
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

squeaker wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd be really interested to see what an unrestricted 1kW motor would do at the rear of my low racer...

Just under 50mph on the flat according to Kreuzotter :lol:

1kWlr.jpg

And add in the couple of hundred I can add...
Mwahaaa...

I was guessing that I'd be nudging towards the speed limits on most of the roads around here, and it looks like I was right.

Maybe I should have said that I'd be interested to *feel* what it could do...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulq

Post by Paulq »

I can help you as I own two.

Once you get past the 'that's cheating' rubbish you'll be better placed to make an informed decision. I own both a Cube and a HaiBike electric bike, the only difference being that the Cube uses the Bosch motor and the HaiBike the Yamaha.

They are actually pretty similar with my personal preference being the Bosch but the Yamaha is also a pretty good unit. You'll see them referred to as sDuro (Yamaha) and xDuro (Bosch).

Both of mine are great but the Cube is the better all round bike and by some way. Apart from the motor the normal rules of choosing a bike apply - make sure it fits, make sure you ride it first and, finally, which do you like best. Buy the best quality bike you can. I don't know anything about the ones you mention I am afraid but they are reputable brands.

My sole other observation is be aware that they are heavy beats so take into account transporting them. Most roof bars have a load limit of around 17kg so, even with front wheel and battery off it's unwise to try and use those. Tow bar carriers are fine and I can get 2 in the back of my Honda CR-V.

Also be aware that you should pay attention to brake quality. With a human on top of them they take some stopping and this tends to fry brake pads very quickly unless you fir quality ones. Also try and include a kickstand in the deal - they fall over easy!

Other than that they are much of a muchness so pick one you like then enjoy riding it. They are brilliant.

Hope that helps.
loafer

Post by loafer »

this one has caught my eye :D :D :D a thing of beauty

https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/e-bike/charger-gx/
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

loafer wrote:this one has caught my eye :D :D :D a thing of beauty

I think those indeed eye-catchingly attractive, but once get into the over 3 grand realm, why oh why not have an actual motorcycle?
loafer

Post by loafer »

djnotts wrote:
loafer wrote:this one has caught my eye :D :D :D a thing of beauty

I think those indeed eye-catchingly attractive, but once get into the over 3 grand realm, why oh why not have an actual motorcycle?

its about the journey :D plus am not allowed to drive anymore since 2011 ...eye problems (Glaucoma) :(
hemo

Post by hemo »

When it comes to ebikes the Reise and Mullers are the Rolls Royce of ebikes. 7k is a lot of Wonga to spend but if you can afford to and want to, then go for it. Like a lot of bikes they are 15.5pnh/25km restricted but if you want fast you need the 45kmh version.