Brompton Electric. Game changer?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mark a.

Brompton Electric. Game changer?

Post by mark a. »

Link, with specifications here

Interesting. Could be a very important bike. People seem to enjoy electric bikes (I haven't tried one) but so far they've been mostly hybrids or chunky cargo bikes & MTB. People love Bromptons. The two together could be amazing. Included lights, USB charging etc are a good, as is the "backpack with a plug" idea.

Lugging ~17kg through train stations etc could be a big downer, though, and I assume cost will be too. Reservation is £200.
Tiberius

Re: Brompton Electric. Game changer?

Post by Tiberius »

I like Bromptons.......Clever and 'geeky'....I guess the 'lecky one was only a matter of time.

This thing costs the thick end of £3K, and Brompton don't usually play the discount game.

For me...Stick to leg power and save circa fifteen hundred quid.....
Graham

Post by Graham »

Anyone interested might like to research through the "A to B" magazine backcopies to see what various folks have been up to when adding Heinzmann motors to Bromptons . . . over the last twenty years !

I expect that the batteries and maybe the motors have been getting better & lighter.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There was a 'nano' motor which was available for the front wheel of a Brommie for a long while - are they no longer available?

The combination is good, but some care is needed wrt weight. Of course the Brompton has a couple of useful features here... The luggage block could easily be modified to contain electrical contacts for powering the wheel, and sensor contacts for pedelec and brake actions. That would allow a bag to contain a small battery and all the control electronics without actually having to connect/disconnect a pile of wires each time you get on.

Makes charging in the office/home easy (which means a smaller battery, which means a lighter bag).

If they put their minds to it then they could really make a very good product very easily.

LOL - just watched the video - looks like that's exactly what they've done...
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 1 Aug 2017, 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Buk

Post by Buk »

Tiberius wrote:I like Bromptons.......Clever and 'geeky'....I guess the 'lecky one was only a matter of time.

This thing costs the thick end of £3K, and Brompton don't usually play the discount game.

For me...Stick to leg power and save circa fifteen hundred quid.....

With one of these for £200 and one of these £190 and the cost of rebuilding a wheel to the hubmotor, and a standard Brompton, you get something like this 'cept neater and lighter and 2-speed which is great for hills, and save around £1000.
I didn't know then, what I now know.
PH

Post by PH »

I'm sure it's as well designed as all other Bromptons, not sure what game it's going to change?
Electric folders are already pretty trendy and there's some interesting ones like the Gocycle which has been around for a few years and is a similar price. These three grand bikes are always going to be be niche products however much they appeal to enthusiasts. IMO the real game changer will be when someone like Dahon start doing a reliable and reasonably pleasant to ride £400 elec folder.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I think the Gocycle is also an interesting bike, but it's not really a folding bike. More like stowable - better for travel than for commuting.

The Brompton is such an iconic bike (in the UK at least), so I think that making it electric will be very interesting. Plus I think the way the "battery in a bag" is designed is very clever and means that range anxiety for 99% of commuters will be non-existent.

£3000 is a lot, though. I suspect it'll do well with bankers first before prices come down.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Buk wrote:With one of these for £200 and one of these £190 and the cost of rebuilding a wheel to the hubmotor, and a standard Brompton, you get something like this 'cept neater and lighter and 2-speed which is great for hills, and save around £1000.

Interesting stuff....makes me wonder why the electric Brompton is so expensive, though I do realise that you don't get much 'bang per buck' with anything from Brompton.

The battery in the bag thing is a neat touch and the motor has been put together with the help of Williams F1, so it's all likely to be very state of the art. Even so, £3K ?????......
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mark a. wrote:Link, with specifications here

Interesting. Could be a very important bike. People seem to enjoy electric bikes (I haven't tried one) but so far they've been mostly hybrids or chunky cargo bikes & MTB. People love Bromptons. The two together could be amazing. Included lights, USB charging etc are a good, as is the "backpack with a plug" idea.

Lugging ~17kg through train stations etc could be a big downer, though, and I assume cost will be too. Reservation is £200.

The good thing about the Brompton Electric is flexibility: you can use the bike without the bag where the battery is, so it's not that heavy at all.
In fact, is a lot lighter than any other E-bike I've seen, though I may be wrong. But the advantage is that you can remove the bag and put on your shoulder, so the folded bike is not a big deal to carry around.

Yes, it's not cheap, but so is any E-bike, isn't it? At least, is made with quality components and is a proven design that is going to last.
Unlike some E-bikes that are pretty badly put together, that doesn't make them justice :(
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Tiberius wrote:..
Interesting stuff....makes me wonder why the electric Brompton is so expensive, though I do realise that you don't get much 'bang per buck' with anything from Brompton.

The battery in the bag thing is a neat touch and the motor has been put together with the help of Williams F1, so it's all likely to be very state of the art. Even so, £3K ?????......

OTOH, a Brompton does keep the value and is pretty easy to sell even after many years.
Also put into accounts that is a bike truly made in England, to my knowledge is the only mass-production bike that is fully brazed 8)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Not quite sure about the 'game changer' aspect. Brompton's and other folders are great for commuters to ride short distances and take on trains. In general I'd not want to carry one far and even the platforms at Euston are a challenge. I also often struggle to find an empty luggage rack needed to stash my Dahon. Anything that adds weight or size would be a big step backward to me. I see electric bikes being useful to those who want to commute longer distances over hilly terrain or who need assistance for health reasons. I'm not sure why an electric folder would help (unless it is simply to help storage).
PH

Post by PH »

Gattonero wrote:OTOH, a Brompton does keep the value and is pretty easy to sell even after many years.

I've looked at secondhand Bromptons and this is certainly true. Not so sure it'll transfer to the electric version - I don't have a crystal ball but I would be surprised if any electric bike produced today would look attractive against one produced in 5+ years time.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

PH wrote:
Gattonero wrote:OTOH, a Brompton does keep the value and is pretty easy to sell even after many years.

I've looked at secondhand Bromptons and this is certainly true. Not so sure it'll transfer to the electric version - I don't have a crystal ball but I would be surprised if any electric bike produced today would look attractive against one produced in 5+ years time.

There comes the humble Brompton whom designs hasn't changed in decades 8)
PH

Post by PH »

Gattonero wrote:
PH wrote:

There comes the humble Brompton whom designs hasn't changed in decades 8)

I'll wager the battery and motor doesn't stay the same for anything as long as the bike has. Why would it if the technology improves? Or do you think it's already reached it's zenith?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I'm sure things will change, but you got a company that does produce only one model of bicycle, constantly refining it and keen to make possible future upgrades. As opposed to other E-bikes that are unlikely to be upgraded without complex mods.
The Brompton is clearly a winner there.