Electric Bike Conversion

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
groberts

Electric Bike Conversion

Post by groberts »

After a TKR in 2015 and some difficulty getting back to speed on the bike I've taken the plunge and converted my faithful old Trek 830. Despite the growing popularity, frankly I found it difficult getting reliable information on electric bikes in general and converting. There are also a lot of sharks out there + wasn't too impressed by the community's dedicated Pedelec forum, which amongst genuine users seemed to consist of numerous retailers talking up their products!

This is fast becoming a genuine form of cycling, with my limited experience so far it is still cycling and would be good to see an Electric section on this Forum if possible? Notwithstanding, in the meantime here's my blog on my experience in converting so far which others may find interesting and even helpful.

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... ling-e-ra/
thirdcrank

Re: Electric Bike Conversion

Post by thirdcrank »

I really found that interesting to read. These days, I skim more and more or lose interest altogether but that kept my attention throughout.

It's worth remembering that there was a time when any mention of any form of power assistance set the forum alight with rage and indignation; we must all be getting older. :lol:
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks Thirdcrank. Personally I like to keep an open mind about these things, you never know how life will turn out.
PH

Post by PH »

Good read, I look forward to updates to see how you get on.
Leaving cycle sport to one side, I see no reason for the negativity that's sometimes heard between traditional cyclists and cyclists with assist. It's a useful tool for anything from utility to leisure. I usually enjoy the physical exertion of cycling, but that certainly isn't all there is to it, even taking the pedalling away completely would still leave many great reasons to cycle. My local CTC group has several riders with assist, it'a a pity the national organisation isn't doing more to promote the idea that they are not just about utility. I hear many people say they'll consider getting one when they need it, not me, I'll get one when I want it, whether needed or not. I'm currently job hunting and anything over 10 miles away and I know what will be top of the shopping list...
willcee

Post by willcee »

Some on here may remember in 2014 i considered building an E bike, the phase passed, recently however, my friend and cycle bud was resolute that he was going to buy one of the Giant e bikes, the one with drop bars, he has many other bikes and while we chatted about the whys and wherefores.. i suggested he do some research, weight was something that he didn't want and those yokes are 40lbs give or take..after perusing many bloggs and info on the net , he is off the idea, reason.. power is limited on any ebike within the uk to speed limit of 15.5 mph after that its a slow down on pedal assist and the top end with any assist is maybe 16/17 mph.In his experience after cycling many many years he knew that would be an issue as most days when we are out on the road we would be sitting around 18/20 odd mph and he would be toiling with a heavy bike at that stage having to create more pedal power to stay along side.. I spoke with several dealers , none had a stand alone demo machine as it would be wise to take it out for a decent spin, one said he had a 70year old veteran who could now stay with his clubmates on runs of 60/70 miles, and hadn't had it hopped up...that he stayed along side i doubt ...I also contacted the UK dealers of vivax assist, who wouldn't give me any info on self fit, after reading all the blurb from Vivax it seems best to have a freewheel at the cranks, and to boot said if we don't fit nil warranty period, and no guarantee even they do that it won't whine like a bmw 3 series differential.. the best ones have central motor.. and seem good for those who potter about below 15mph... will
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I can only echo what TC and PH have already posted.
I've been searching around for a conversion kit for our Circe tandem as Mrs R2's energy levels are low due to her Parkinson's and so our cycling range is short.What surprises me is the variation in kit prices,with an 11ah battery range from £700(Taiwanese motor) to £1500(Heinzmann motor)though both seem to have the same battery(though I could be mistaken on that).
Anyway we'll most likely make some final decisions in the coming weeks,but it's a bit confusing :?

I agree a separate pedelecs section could be an asset to the forum,also for the naysayers where pedelecs/ebikes are concerned,all I can say is that their particular time hasn't come yet and they'll most likely change their minds when it does,either that or they'll just stop riding.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

I honestly think e assist bikes are the future. No one in my Cycle club agrees...but they're a bunch of elitist roadie knobs on the whole!

My lbs ( Paul Hewitt, Leyland) has just got some BB drive down tube motors, as used to cheat in pro cycling.

At the right price they'd revolutionise cycling. I could go out with my wife and kid, and we'd all be able to ride together. They'd level the fitness playing field, and make social group rides enjoyable for everyone. No need to buy an ugly, cumbersome e bike either.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Roadies are the hardest to even speak to when change comes along, they don't accept that other riders have differing needs or requirements. In their eyes if you don't sweat or go red in the face at the point of bursting a vessel then you are not cycling, no pain no gain.

Ebikes can allow for a gentle pleasant ride ou,t taking in and enjoying the country side as well as a faster amble along.
I've never been a roadie but do manage up to 90 mile rides on my ebikes and although feel quite cycle fit, I don't possess the out and out strength for speed riding but have the stamina for long rides and even then I know I have put in good effort. The ebike allows me to go a bit faster then a pedal only bike but it challenges me to go a bit faster or to keep the speed up which is something I can't manage on a pedal only bike, the biggest deal breaker are hills which puts off most people from riding.
A 50-70 mile ride to and on the South or North downs gets me out in the fresher air on a warm summers day or cold winters day, what's not to like about that. Its certainly better then driving somewhere with the bike in the back of a car and then ride 10/20 miles only to get in the car and drive home again.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

hemo wrote:A 50-70 mile ride to and on the South or North downs gets me out in the fresher air on a warm summers day or cold winters day, what's not to like about that. Its certainly better then driving somewhere with the bike in the back of a car and then ride 10/20 miles only to get in the car and drive home again.
Quite! :D
"42"