Training needed?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
francovendee

Training needed?

Post by francovendee »

I've always said I wouldn't get an electric bike but as the years roll on I'm now considering it.
I think in essence they are a good idea but I have some reservations.
I'm a cyclist and ride most days so, road positioning, checking when to move off braking etc. In fact all safety aspects of riding a bike are second nature to me.
If I buy an electric bike then all I'd need is to become familiar with is the feel of the power assistance and handling of a different bike.
I don't know age group of purchasers in the UK but here in France it's mostly older people. This is where training becomes needed. Riders are often downright dangerous and I suspect it's because they haven't been on a bike in years. The result is they have strong 'electric' legs but no idea of riding.
I wonder if some sort of bike shop familiarisation is needed before letting them loose.
Nearly wiped out again by an ebike yesterday, hence the question.
pjclinch

Re: Training needed?

Post by pjclinch »

I think like bikes in general (particularly high performance models bought for mid life crisis reasons) the answer is "maybe". It all depends on the person and how they use it and what their bike-chops are.

I don't ride an e-bike so I'm only guessing, but my guess from what I've seen of them (including a fellow workplace cycle instructor who rides one) is that there's nothing particularly about an e-bike that would break National Standards training, and NS training is there for anyone that wants to bother with it.

There's no harm in a bit of guidance from the shop, but again that's the case with any bike. There'll always be the person who equates personal skill with price paid and/or knows it all without any experience, and trying to help these people is a dead-end for all parties.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

francovendee wrote:I've always said I wouldn't get an electric bike but as the years roll on I'm now considering it.
I think in essence they are a good idea but I have some reservations.
I'm a cyclist and ride most days so, road positioning, checking when to move off braking etc. In fact all safety aspects of riding a bike are second nature to me.
If I buy an electric bike then all I'd need is to become familiar with is the feel of the power assistance and handling of a different bike.
I don't know age group of purchasers in the UK but here in France it's mostly older people. This is where training becomes needed. Riders are often downright dangerous and I suspect it's because they haven't been on a bike in years. The result is they have strong 'electric' legs but no idea of riding.
I wonder if some sort of bike shop familiarisation is needed before letting them loose.
Nearly wiped out again by an ebike yesterday, hence the question.

Cycle Training in London does training courses for ebikes.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

As a NSI & occasional rider of a pedelec, don't really see a lot of difference in riding approach or style.
It just takes a lot of the effort out of riding up hill!
You still need to take the same position in the road & be constantly aware of what is going on around you.
Not only drivers would benefit from updating their skills.
Am frequently disturbed by the antics of apparently experienced cyclists.