are electric assist bikes the future ?????

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
webber

are electric assist bikes the future ?????

Post by webber »

my mum and dad have just got back from a week in holland where they hired some electric assist bikes for the day nether has done any form of exercise since i was a kid 30 years ago my dad has suffered from chronic fatigue form 15 years yet they are telling me how great cycling is and how they are going to get some bikes so is this the future for us all and does anyone recommend any we are all getting older :D
horizon

Re: are electric assist bikes the future ?????

Post by horizon »

Funny, I thought the same thing myself:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=116734
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I don't know what the future holds, but maybe it's an electric bike for me.
Acceleration in traffic looks good - maybe I'll be able to start and start as fast as motor cars in traffic. :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's *a* future.

It will never be universal, but it could easily be common.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Definitely for some. I hope conventional cycling doesn't lose it's appeal though.
It would be a shame and a waste of energy if younger, fit people swapped to an electric assist when they could do all they wanted with pedal power.
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

It can work both ways. :)

It was riding an eMTB that got me back into the saddle, so building my fitness without adding to an on going knee complaint and muscle wastage issue. But is also the same bike that has got me increasingly interested in riding my analogue mtb in preference for enjoyment and satisfaction of achievement. The analogue mtb is far more rewarding to ride, and there is no foreseeable way that I shall give it up. :)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Big policy announcement up here in Scotlandshire this week where the government have doubled the projected spend on active travel. One of the bullet points is:

stepping up promotion of the use of electric bicycles to ensure as many people as possible can benefit from active travel

This looks dangerously like a combination of political leadership backed with some cash. There must be a catch...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

webber wrote:my mum and dad have just got back from a week in holland where they hired some electric assist bikes for the day nether has done any form of exercise since i was a kid 30 years ago my dad has suffered from chronic fatigue form 15 years yet they are telling me how great cycling is and how they are going to get some bikes so is this the future for us all and does anyone recommend any we are all getting older :D
(my emphasis)

It will be interesting to know how much this is based on doing it in Holland. Naturally, I hope their experience back home is good, but they may find that electric assistance doesn't reduce the SMIDSYS etc. Fingers crossed that they enjoy it here too. :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote:Definitely for some. I hope conventional cycling doesn't lose it's appeal though.
It would be a shame and a waste of energy if younger, fit people swapped to an electric assist when they could do all they wanted with pedal power.

But better for everyome if they use any bike including e-bikes rather than cars :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

francovendee wrote:Definitely for some. I hope conventional cycling doesn't lose it's appeal though.

Sorry, but I find this idea that electric bikes should only be for people that in some way can't use an unassisted bike annoying and something that holds their acceptance back. They're for anyone who chooses to use them, that's it. No need to justify that to anyone, no need to see it as some sort of physical failure anymore than any other form of mechanical transport. I find it as absurd as the idea that only people incapable of running should use a bike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:

Sorry, but I find this idea that electric bikes should only be for people that in some way can't use an unassisted bike annoying and something that holds their acceptance back. They're for anyone who chooses to use them, that's it. No need to justify that to anyone, no need to see it as some sort of physical failure anymore than any other form of mechanical transport. I find it as absurd as the idea that only people incapable of running should use a bike.

Or to turn it on its head,that people who cycle can't afford a car :?

《《Rant alert》》
The fact is the E-bike(EAC)is a very efficient way for anyone to get about and would be used by all kinds of people,especially if they live in hilly areas where it'll be a boon.
But it needs the moronic governments we have in the UK to get over themselves and their class problems that dog this society,by taking some radical steps toward decent cycle infrastructure instead of the current paint 'n forget and cinder paths to nowhere approach seen as no more than a way to keep the cycling lobby quiet.
Whilst stealing monies put aside for environmentally friendly transport by pedestrianising public spaces and banning cycling on them or building the so called 'turbo roundabouts' that help no one but the motorists :evil:
And if the CTC would grow new teeth instead being content on receiving handouts from government in the form of tax breaks and so hobbling it's voice to little more than a murmer,cycling,electric assisted or not,could make a huge difference to transport in the urban environment where cars currently dominate and cause a multitude of problems not least by clogging up that environment and people's airways! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Rant over,and relax....
Last edited by reohn2 on 7 Sep 2017, 12:12pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The key phrase in there is "do all they wanted". If what they want is electric assist then, by definition, they can't do "everything they want" without it.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

PH wrote:

+1

The negativity towards ebikes from some quarters is annoying and misguided - they have to be better than cars for short journeys right?

As a 'real' cyclist who lives at the top of a long steep hill, ebikes have been a revelation.

Who wants to labour slowly up a steep hill with 10+ kilos of groceries while being passed by stinky d*****s?? On an ebike I can breeze up at 15mph breathing lightly and barely breaking a sweat. Trust me, it's an absolute no-brainer!

Thanks to the ebike, there now has to be some really compelling reason for me to consider using the car for any kind of shopping :D
Marc

Post by Marc »

PH wrote:

+1!

I use an electrified ICE Sprint recumbent trike for my daily 2x 32km (2x 1h) commute. Its great to arrive at work without covered in sweat and I get the exercise on the way home. Added benefit: The motor cuts my commute time in half (I'm not a particularly strong rider) and not to forget, its fun.

Without electric motor, I'd have to use public transport (takes 30-45min longer one way and is boooring) or would have to get a car, after being car free for over 15 years.

No way I'd cycle the distance daily with my Vortex. I'm way too lazy for that. ;)

I'd would say the electric bike (or trike in my case) is the evolution of the commuter bike.
Especially true in Winter (I find cycling the first few km in the cold kind of a drag), or when you don't feel particularly well.
ICE VTX 3x700, ICE Vortex-Leader 3x26", ICE Sprint 26 eTrike, Milan GT
Blog: http://etrike.wordpress.com
HaroldBriercliffe

Post by HaroldBriercliffe »

My eZee sprint gave good service. Two new batteries in four years though proved expensive.
Chopped it in for Sports electric and that was fine until it wasn't.
£180 for new battery plus £90 for annual service was a bill too far and led me to take an offer on it from the dealer I bought it 2nd hand from.
E bikes do make the hills flatter but cost-wise a regular bike makes economic sense if you don't 'need' pedal-assist.
" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen)