Electric Bikes in Northern Ireland

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
CJJE

Electric Bikes in Northern Ireland

Post by CJJE »

I've just been reminded that Northern Ireland have suddenly started insisting that electric bikes are legally mopeds over there, and so riders have to have insurance, helmets etc. Apparently when laws in the UK were amended in 1995 to allow the use of pedal-assisted electric bikes Northern Ireland wasn't included, and so they are still treated like mopeds. Recently a talk show host decided to make a song and a dance about this, and now the police over there are suddenly enforcing the unchanged laws! A disabled friend of mine now finds he can no longer ride his electric bike to get the exercise his doctor says he needs!

Are you aware of this? Is Cycling UK taking action over this ridiculous state of affairs?

Chris
gaz

Re: Electric Bikes in Northern Ireland

Post by gaz »

The Electric Bikes board is quite new. A few threads have been started, a few old threads that began elsewhere on the forum have been imported. There will always be areas of overlap, this matter has come up recently: Link.

AIUI the matter is already on the list for the NI Assembly to resolve and as such there is no need for specific campaigning. The key blocking point is the current lack of a NI Assembly.

BTW the forum boards are not an official channel of communication with Cycling UK. If you feel a campaign is required you should contact the relevant team directly.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
willcee

Post by willcee »

As someone who lives in the place I have been aware of this issue before it became a news story and very stupidly aired on the BBCs Nolan show, actually it happened I'm given to understand when Sustrans banned the use of the Ebikes they had bought and perhaps were sorting insurance cover, it was one supplier of their machines who told me face to face that the ban had happened..
Halfords afaik have reimbursed anyone who have bought machines from them..this from inside Halfords.. a storm in a tea cup..I have read the Legal part on the machine use and it would be a jobs worth officer who would pursue any user, that said they are being ridden daily in my area, most people, law officers included wouldn't be able to tell the difference at a glance, as we all know unless you have a cyclists eye, a bike is a bike is a bike to most non users, and even to some users!!!Bloody Assembly... God knows when they will get their act together, well paid since December last and haven't done a hands turn in any sensible way since..it will be well down any of their lists!!! will
gaz

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
willcee

Post by willcee »

Bloody ridiculous.. that as part of the UK and governed in the main by UK laws eg MOT, Drivers liscense, Insurance , RFL,etc,its a total mess and this woman has in my mind being the first to push a point and get legal under the stupid old legislation will leave many users / owners in a quandry .. what happens when the law is amended, or rather if, does the DVLNI GIVE HER BACK HER OUTLAY.. I VERY MUCH DOUBT THAT WOULD HAPPEN.. will
hemo

Post by hemo »

It all boils down to the dissolved parliament in NI, they didn't ratify the updated UK EAPC rules governing ebikes when the UK ( GB ) accepted the EU 250w standard for EAPC's. So a bit of a pig's ear, there is a female pedelecer in NI who hasn't helped the cause at all as she has set the bar height by registering her ebike , so to be legal all over there need to register which means helmet, number plate and insurance :( .