Circe tandem pedelec conversion kit.

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
reohn2

Circe tandem pedelec conversion kit.

Post by reohn2 »

Received the kit yesterday and fitted it today,a couple of slight niggles getting front wheel motor into the fork and fitting the rear rack battery carrier due to the disc brakes,but nothing a bit deluxe fettling couldn't solve and it's all up and running.
The thing goes like a train solo :D
It's the first time I've ridden an elec assist bike,I was surpised how well behaved and civilised it all is.
Though I've only done a couple of test rides solo around the block,I found it nice to pedal and have someone pushing you,stop pedalling and the unseen help stops,incredible!
I'll keep everyone posted after we've ridden it a bit,and post some photos of the kit and the bike after fitting when I get chance,meanwhile I've a big :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
groberts

Re: Circe tandem pedelec conversion kit.

Post by groberts »

Sounds promising, well done. Once on the road mine took a little while to iron out the niggles - mostly to do with the bike - but altogether very happy.

Look forwards to hearing more + some pictures perhaps?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Last edited by reohn2 on 6 Oct 2017, 7:52pm, edited 4 times in total.
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

Sounds good. Photo link doesnt open for me.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:Sounds good. Photo link doesnt open for me.

Any better now?
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, coming through loud and clear.

Going OT a bit...whats the handlebar? Looks like what im after!
groberts

Post by groberts »

Nice job, enjoy the riding.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:Yep, coming through loud and clear.

Going OT a bit...whats the handlebar? Looks like what im after!

The h/bar is a Humpert Aerowing 2 :- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/ ... amp-black/
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

groberts wrote:Nice job, enjoy the riding.

Thanks,we're away next week with the caravan,so we'll be giving it a whirl
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Some first impressions:-
This kit isn't light,
17ah battery and alu rack weigh a hefty 6.1kg(original rack weighs 0.7kg)
Front wheel is 3.2kg(original wheel weighs 0.9kg)
The rest,wiring lcd h/barcontroller,thumb throttle and box of tricks weigh 2kg
Giving a total of 9.7kg with the original wheel and rack off the top,though on the bike it's not noticeable when riding.
The first battery charge that I ran to one bar left on the four bar battery indicator,gave us 30miles with a few 5 to 8% short hills in that,so when the battery gets cycled in and running at optimum charge I'm expecting quite a bit more than that.
Ours runs on a PAS sensor on the rear crank as per photos and so kicks in when we pedal.We are both very unfit ATM with both of us about 5 to 7 kgs overweight but on the flat running the assist at level 2 out of 5 assist levels is enough to trudle along at 12 to 13 mph,the steeper the hill the more assistance required with level 5 for the steepest 8% climb but we haven't needed the inner 26t ring yet and have climbed 8% on 34x32 on 20in wheels
It isn't totally quiet with a slight whine from the motor which sort of says "I'm working for you here" :)
The thumb throttle is handy occasionally but because we transport the bike downside up in the car and it rests on the h/bars I can't mount it on the h/bars where I'd like(see photos)so it isn't as convenient as I'd like but I'm working on it.

I'm impressed with the kit's performance so far,the power and range for a tandem is good,bearing in mind that we bought the kit due to Mrs R2's disability which serverely restricts her energy levels,it's a new lease of life to our cycling and we'd thoroughly recommend it :D .
Solo,I'm sure the range would be far more and the assist levels much less.
Ours is a front wheel conversion which for a tandem is OK as weight distribution is about 50/50 front and back,with a lighter stoker could be 60/40 or more front weighted,so with that in mind if I were converting a solo I think I'd prefer a rear wheel motor or as Kwackers has gone for a BB powered one.
Service from http://www.electric-bike-conversions.co ... tails.html has been very good and I have confidence in their professionalism and after sales service.
I'll update when we've done some more miles on it.
W H Auden
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Really interesting, thanks for all of your info.
hemo

Post by hemo »

I notice a noob error in the hub fitting the cable exits vertically if it rains any water will run down in to the hub and it will rust and seize up, you need to undo the wheel and rotate the axle 180 degrees so that the cable forms a drip loop fo water to run off. Doing it that way also means you can secure the cable to the fork with double sided velcro, you can use cable ties but if they are too tight you pinch the small inner wires and can damaged them of short them velcro ties are soft and reusable.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hemo wrote:I notice a noob error in the hub fitting the cable exits vertically if it rains any water will run down in to the hub and it will rust and seize up, you need to undo the wheel and rotate the axle 180 degrees so that the cable forms a drip loop fo water to run off. Doing it that way also means you can secure the cable to the fork with double sided velcro, you can use cable ties but if they are too tight you pinch the small inner wires and can damaged them of short them velcro ties are soft and reusable.

Yes the photo was as first fitted and I hadn't given it a thought until we went for our first ride,I just flipped the stop/torque washers and fitted with the cable exiting downward.
The front wheel is removed regularly to transport the bike in the car,conveniently the unused V brake mount now has a large P clip which the cable plug fits into snuggly keeping it out of harms way :wink:
Thanks for the concern and advice though :)
W H Auden
hemo

Post by hemo »

Always willing to give helpful advice, as with all conversions effort and time has gone in and a shame for it to fail for a simple install error. BTW conversion looks really neat and proper, nice work.