Insurance for electric bikes

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Joannacw

Insurance for electric bikes

Post by Joannacw »

I had a nasty shock a few days ago when I renewed my house insurance with Lloyds. they told me that my ebike (gtech road bike) was uninsurable through them. I explained that ita was limited to 15mph etc. But ehy said that if I had to recharge a battery they would not insure my bike and thus that when I was riding it I had no third party insurance! I rand the Halifax and got the same response. So I rang Gtech - they told me that nobody had ever raised this as a problem but that they would look into it as a matter of urgency and get bacck to me. I am still waiting! However, I have found that through Pedal Cover - Axa covers ebikes. I would urge everyone who rides an ebike to check their insurance.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Insurance for electric bikes

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Join CTC, problem solved
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Joannacw

Post by Joannacw »

I have found my own solution - I was just being public spirited and asking people to checkas I had been riding around for 6 months blissfully unaware of the fact that I was not insured because gtech bikes are sold as a pedal bike under uk law. It is just the insurance companies who make the distinction and I felt it was kind to draw peoples' attention to it. Also will CTC let an OAP with just an electric bike join them?
Si

Post by Si »

Also will CTC let an OAP with just an electric bike join them?

yes, although its Cycling UK now.
irc

Post by irc »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Join CTC, problem solved

I would check. After all who would have thought the cycling UK recommended insurer would require helmets?j

Edit

Seems they are covered. My cynicism not justified.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/resources/ins ... rance-faqs
Last edited by irc on 15 Oct 2017, 4:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
PH

Post by PH »

Joannacw wrote:Also will CTC let an OAP with just an electric bike join them?

... and it's £2.38 a month. How much are you paying now? And what's that for?
The Cycling UK insurance that comes with membership is Third party only, were you getting something else on your home insurance? My bikes (Non elec) are covered against theft on mine, either from my home or elsewhere. I've just had a glance t the policy (CO OP) it covers pedal cycles and I can't see any exclusions for electric assisted.