Kudos Cycles - Sprint

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
UpWrong

Kudos Cycles - Sprint

Post by UpWrong »

Been looking at electric bikes for the mrs, came across Kudos Cycles which has a helpful web site. Particularly helpful explaining the battery differences - definitley want the LiFePO4 ones now. Been looking at their Sprint model which has a wide range of adjustment so that if she doesn't take to it then either myself or her son might end up using it. https://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=349

It uses a rotation sensor rather than a torque sensor but otherwise ticks all the right boxes - lights, mudguard, rack, good weight distribution. Good value for money. It would cost another £300 to get a bike with a torque sensor which would fit her (Carrera Crossfire-E, no guards, no lights!). Anyone think a torque sensor is worth the extra?
kwackers

Re: Kudos Cycles - Sprint

Post by kwackers »

UpWrong wrote:Anyone think a torque sensor is worth the extra?

I like the idea of a torque sensor. The most rideable form of ebike for me would be something that simply multiplies my effort rather than something that kicks in when I start peddling.
£300 seems a bit steep though.

One thing I'd be interested in knowing, I'd expect the torque sensor must detect pressure and it must do that by measuring movement of the pedal compared to the drive chain. This means the sensor must induce some elasticity somewhere. It could be pretty stiff (in theory you could simply measure the minute amount of bend in a normal crank arm) or it could be quite soft and give lots of spring between the pedals and the wheel (which I'd imagine would make it feel spongy).
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Some of the models have a torque sensor option for £100, but not the Sprint.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Lifepo4 is slightly old battery tech but has a greater life span generally then modern lithium ones. The reason fro being older tech being is that they are quite heavy compared to lion celled batteries. Nothing wrong with that however most lifepo4 bikes ten to be 25- 30 kg in weight.
Kudos bikes are a very good entry level ebike range, for info if any one is interested the Kudos Safari a Dutch style step thru has now been supersceded by other models but were available on the kudos webpage for a bargain at £995 for a pair downside is heavy weight at 30kg each but a god rugged bike with quite hill climbing ability.