E-bikes: depressing or what?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
willcee

Re: E-bikes: depressing or what?

Post by willcee »

In reply to the last from Mick, pondering our diabolical E bike situation reg wise in Ulster,I think I'll start a campaign to bring some similar regulation to Mobility scooters.. if the Government?? Locally really want to start a real ''handling'' [as we in this part of the UK would call a distressed issue] they should equally liscense these yokes.Nolan live would be a great starting point,I speak from experience, my lady has 3 of the bloody things, a folder with hard wheels for shops, a transportable, JUST!!,in the rear of an estate, and a big Blue machine that could draw a trailer , the larger of the 2 would be way over 250w in my view and take much more room on any path, pavement or forecourt than any bike and some I have seen in our locality are using them on the road clad in perpex tents, especially on a dark wet day they are a danger to themselves and anything that gets close.. I think they need to come under that order that netted E bikes.. will
Vmax

Post by Vmax »

I'm a 54 year old long term female cyclist and one of my bikes is an ebike. When I ride alone, I would never choose to ride it. But if I want to ride with my husband then I simply have to.

My conclusion? I get just as shattered riding the same distance I would on my normal bike (50 or 60 miles) because I ride those miles faster. I put a lot of effort in and I get sweaty. And in contrast, even with maximum personal effort on a normal non-e bike, I can't keep up with my husband - so my ebike means we can ride together.

Did I mention that I live in a hilly area? It's still tough going up hill, anyone who rides an ebike and doesn't sweat isn't riding it like I ride it!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vmax wrote: ................ anyone who rides an ebike and doesn't sweat isn't riding it like I ride it!
Excellent! :D
I wish the E-bike riders I see - and saw in Benidorm last week - got sweaty and did some work.
Mick F. Cornwall
georgew

Post by georgew »

Certainly ebikes are usually heavier but there are some which are not unduly so and since Brompton has been mentioned here is one which uses a Bosch 36V 4Ah battery (nominal range 26 miles) and small enough to allow a spare to be carried.
https://arccinnovations.com/?gclid=EAIa ... gIi__D_BwE

topbikes.jpg
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could be a problem if a helmet law is brought in

That would make hiring a car preferable if one did not always carry a helmet just in case

In Australia there are subsidised helmets to buy (use once and discard?)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vmax

Post by Vmax »

I'm a woman with a husband and an ebike. I have two non-ebikes (bikes, in fact) and I can happily ride one or other of them all day. Many miles. But not with my husband, see. He's quicker, and the only way I can ride with him is if I cheat. Yes, I consider it cheating, but I find cheating perfectly acceptable if I have a great day out with my husband. Oh but there are tandems! I hear you say. We have one, in store, it will be sold - my husband's bad back won't tolerate it. But on his solo bike he can move his body about to regain comfort and on my ebike I can overtake him on hills - so now he knows what it feels like. You don't have to be old to ride an ebike, they have many, many uses.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I'm sort of casually "looking" and oh I DO like this one!

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/quick ... -km-h-2018

Lot of pounds (both sorts) but if I start saving now ....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vmax wrote:I'm a woman with a husband and an ebike. I have two non-ebikes (bikes, in fact) and I can happily ride one or other of them all day. Many miles. But not with my husband, see. He's quicker, and the only way I can ride with him is if I cheat. Yes, I consider it cheating, but I find cheating perfectly acceptable if I have a great day out with my husband. Oh but there are tandems! I hear you say. We have one, in store, it will be sold - my husband's bad back won't tolerate it. But on his solo bike he can move his body about to regain comfort and on my ebike I can overtake him on hills - so now he knows what it feels like. You don't have to be old to ride an ebike, they have many, many uses.

You could get him a slow heavy bike to *level the playing field*
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hemo

Post by hemo »

djnotts wrote:I'm sort of casually "looking" and oh I DO like this one!

How fast to do you like to cycle at ?
Most ebikes are a pain when you hit that 25km/h cut off givong a treacle like feeling as you try to peddle past it, that's the annoyance of most ebikes the cut off speed should have been set for 32km/h. Though with most china hubmotor/controller combos you can do just that and enjoy and have a much better fluent ride.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I can rarely exceed 13-15 mph (one reason I need assistance!) and when I do it's downhill freewheeling! Speed is not an issue. If I WEREN'T old with near enough completely shot lungs I wouldn't be thinking electric.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

hemo wrote:
djnotts wrote:I'm sort of casually "looking" and oh I DO like this one!

How fast to do you like to cycle at ?
Most ebikes are a pain when you hit that 25km/h cut off givong a treacle like feeling as you try to peddle past it, that's the annoyance of most ebikes the cut off speed should have been set for 32km/h. Though with most china hubmotor/controller combos you can do just that and enjoy and have a much better fluent ride.

When you say most - how many of the thousands of models have you tested?

I don't notice any 'riding through treacle' moment, because the power is tapered down as the speed approaches 15mph (I don't even know how long/gentle that taper is - I don't feel it happening)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

[XAP]Bob wrote:When you say most - how many of the thousands of models have you tested?

I don't notice any 'riding through treacle' moment, because the power is tapered down as the speed approaches 15mph (I don't even know how long/gentle that taper is - I don't feel it happening)

Your taper must be very soft.

I can hold 15mph with not much effort on full assist, but try to peddle past it and by 17mph I have to put in 17mph's worth of effort.
Which suggests either you're getting nothing like full assist at 15mph or you still have assist at 17...

Turning off the limit does make the bike feel much more civilised.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

kwackers wrote:by 17mph I have to put in 17mph's worth of effort.

Turning off the limit does make the bike feel much more civilised.

That's what the law means when it says "no assistance over 15.5 mph".
It doesn't mean you get 15 mph-worth of assistance, and any work you do is extra.
After all, enough assistance to maintain 15 mph up a 4 or 5% gradient is likely to be enough to maintain 25 mph on the flat, and enough assistance to maintain 15 mph on the flat may only be good for 5 or 6 mph up 5%.

As for "turning off the limit", it's illegal, and should you get stopped, and fail the attitude test, they will be able to find enough charges that you'd lose your driving licence, should you have one. I agree that the police don't generally seem to be bothered at the moment, but that could change overnight if some pedestrian who's concentrating on their phone should step out in front of someone riding a derestricted e-bike at 30 mph, and get killed.

The exemption that says that a restricted e-bike is a pedal cycle rather than a motor vehicle isn't there to allow you to go faster with less effort, but to allow those who would otherwise not be able to get about to do so. That it also allows Vmax to go out on rides with hubby without getting dropped too much is a bonus rather than an intention.

If you really want to go fast without effort, pass the test (if required), and get a motorcycle, electric or otherwise.
We've been through power-assisted pedal cycles, and people saying "if only you do this, I could go faster" once already, and the end result is the Suzuki Hayabusa and its ilk.
willcee

Post by willcee »

I get rattled when someone with obvious experience and a major forum contributor gets on a high horse over a stupid limit which the UK adopted without much thought and very certainly no experience of day to day cycling speeds. I suppose the OP drives a vehicle and sticks religiously to 19mph in a 20 zone 29 in a 30 and 69 on the motorways, ime few do and I have probably driven in my lifetime way over a million miles and fined 2 times..Its a silly limit.. and most of those who regularly use E machines would agree..I wouldn't worry too much about current law officers, they haven't yet caught up with the drivers we see every day using a cell phone while negotiating heavy city traffic,or on a motorway at 70 plus texting.. nor can they get to grips with the guys who intimidate other road users be they 2 or 4 wheeled..they couldn't in my opinion give a damn.. maybe they will think ebikes are an easier target..due to cuts in their budget locally we have 2 patrol cars nightly covering the thick end of 2 counties with maybe 6 or 7 towns in the region.. one guy per car!!! this from a friend who is a local councillor..mine when I build it over the next few months will most definitely exceed 17.. and now over here I have to register and insure it as a bloody moped..it will be capable of moped speed.. pedal assist alone.. will
PH

Post by PH »

willcee wrote: a stupid limit which the UK adopted without much thought and very certainly no experience of day to day cycling speeds.

Adopted from where? Was it from somewhere that had the experience? I think its about right, it means most cycles are traveling at similar speeds.