E-bikes: depressing or what?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
pete75

Re: E-bikes: depressing or what?

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote: I would have thought 250w would be far too little for something that large - imagine trying to cycle into the wind and/or up an hill.

I don't need to imagine - used to deliver bread with one of these when I was at school. That thing with 250 watts of help would likely be easier.....

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:
PH wrote:
Mick F wrote:Note the word "probably".

You just don't get it.
It would be the same as me criticising you for using a car.
They're not mobility equipment, they're transport choices, you don't have to need one to choose it.
I'm critical of this scheme for not offering a choice.
I do get it.
I get it, I really do.

People choose them because it gets them out and riding and gives them exercise. That's a Good Thing.

I start reading and think maybe you do get it... but then
Trouble is, they seem to me to be on full assist all the time, and why wouldn't they? We all want easier cycling. By having them on full assist, they aren't getting good exercise and they'd be better off on a pedal-powered bike, and if they can't manage the hills, walk up them.

Trouble??? Trouble to who?? It doesn't trouble me at all. Who says the motivation has to be getting good exercise? Why can't it just be a convenient way to get from A to B? Or a way to quietly enjoy the countryside? Or a cheaper alternative to a car?
Your posts show you can only see an E-Bike as an alternative to a bike, for some uses that's exactly what it is, but that's far from the full story and until you are able to see that, you just won't get it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I came across this on YouTube,there are many more:- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYLwv9x8HU

That's pretty cool. I wonder what the power output is? I would have thought 250w would be far too little for something that large - imagine trying to cycle into the wind and/or up an hill.

The other 'interesting' element is it's almost a small electric car, sure it's got pedals but it's still more car than bike.
At what point does something stop being a cargo bike and become something else? Can I have a truck sized cargo bike? (Obvs there are some limitations to what someone could physically power).

I don't know the power output but they're being used for very local deliveries in cities where speed isn't needed but convenience is.
DHL must think theyre capable of the the job better than bigger electric vehicles or they wouldn't be using them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:Trouble??? Trouble to who?? It doesn't trouble me at all. Who says the motivation has to be getting good exercise? Why can't it just be a convenient way to get from A to B? Or a way to quietly enjoy the countryside? Or a cheaper alternative to a car?
Your posts show you can only see an E-Bike as an alternative to a bike, for some uses that's exactly what it is, but that's far from the full story and until you are able to see that, you just won't get it.

The trouble is,people who think e-bikes are depressing,and can only see with a narrow outlook of how cycling "should" be.
And as a result would,given their way,put limits on what cycling is and isn't,according to their myopic criteria.
Depressing innit? :?
W H Auden
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

reohn2 wrote:The trouble is,people who think e-bikes are depressing,and can only see with a narrow outlook of how cycling "should" be.
And as a result would,given their way,put limits on what cycling is and isn't,according to their myopic criteria.

The fact that e-bikes need to be pedal assisted seems to imply that the pedaling is important in some way, and that there would be something wrong in using an e-bike in a way that didn't require exercise.

Just an observation, not trying to make any particular point...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am beginning to think an ebike might be my ideal touring bike, travel large distances minimal effort, carry as much camping junk as I want
pete75

Post by pete75 »

rfryer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The trouble is,people who think e-bikes are depressing,and can only see with a narrow outlook of how cycling "should" be.

The fact that e-bikes need to be pedal assisted seems to imply that the pedaling is important in some way, and that there would be something wrong in using an e-bike in a way that didn't require exercise.

They don't need to be pedal assisted at all. The law requires them to be so in some countries. The two are different things.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

rfryer wrote:The fact that e-bikes need to be pedal assisted seems to imply that the pedaling is important in some way, and that there would be something wrong in using an e-bike in a way that didn't require exercise.

I suspect they're just trying to knock 'mopeds' on the head before they start.
Given half a chance, fold back pedals and throttles would be all the rage...

(With a whole 250 watts on offer we don't want grandad/nan hooligans. Making them pedal is a sensible precaution... ;) )
meic

Post by meic »

mercalia wrote:I am beginning to think an ebike might be my ideal touring bike, travel large distances minimal effort, carry as much camping junk as I want

Fit a dynamohub and you can even charge the battery on the ride. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

meic wrote:
mercalia wrote:I am beginning to think an ebike might be my ideal touring bike, travel large distances minimal effort, carry as much camping junk as I want

Fit a dynamohub and you can even charge the battery on the ride. :wink:

I was thinking of a trailer with a number of car batteries in :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rfryer wrote:

I think you've made a good point, and one that I agree with.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rfryer wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with a totally electric powered bike but it ceases to be a bicycle both in law and actuality at that point and becomes a motorcycle* needing all the legal requirements of a motorcycle.
Pedal assist extends the battery range and provides the assistance to the rider when/where needed.

*I could be wrong on that point if the vehicle doesn't exceed 250watt and 15.5mph,its still classed as a bicycle in law.
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The idea that it shouldn't always be at maximum assist is a bit odd though.

It's a mode of transport, for some people that means providing assistance, it's still better for society than using a bus/car.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The idea that it shouldn't always be at maximum assist is a bit odd though.

Two reasons for me.
1. I actually want the exercise.
2. Temperature control. This morning was -2 when I left, I'd have frozen to death if I'd not put some effort in! (The other day it was 12 degrees. I took it easy to avoid overheating).
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Maybe as part of the DUP support deal they'll demand that NI rules on EPAC machines will be extended to rest of UK:

"In Northern Ireland, you need a moped licence to ride any electric bike. The bike must also be registered, taxed and insured."