E-bikes - too restrictive?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK

How restrictive should e-bike legislation be?

Not at all - if it has 2 wheels and hasn't got an internal combustion engine, then it's a cycle
3%
A lot more lenient - somewhere between "More lenient" and "Not at all". Maybe allow 500W, or 25mph, for example.
7%
More lenient - legislation should aim for an overall result roughly in line with an unassisted cyclist (in terms of weight/speed/power), but it doesn't matter whether or not the rider is pedaling
30%
It's about right - legislation should aim for electric assist, but keeping the overall result roughly in line with an unassisted cyclist
50%
Stricter - somewhere between "It's about right" and "Strict". Maybe require a higher level of human input, or reduced power limits.
No votes
Strict - if it's got a motor, then it's a moped and should be licensed as such
10%

Total votes: 30

kwackers

Re: E-bikes - too restrictive?

Post by kwackers »

meic wrote:The risk posed by all motor vehicles, of which they are a part.
Why we have speed limits, insurance, MOT tests, construction and use regulations etc.

around 1700 killed and 22,000 seriously injured each year.

That list exists to regulate vehicles whose mass is measured in tons, capable of twice or even ten times the speed limit with the sophisticated systems required to make all that possible.

Which brings me back to "what risk"?

As far as I can see any risk is minimal, more importantly if someone leaves a car (or hopefully a pickup) at home and uses a home built cargo bike then the overall risk has gone down not up and surely that's the point?
meic

Post by meic »

more importantly if someone leaves a car (or hopefully a pickup) at home and uses a home built cargo bike then the overall risk has gone down not up and surely that's the point?

How is that put into law?
Somebody has to draw a line between what is a pick up and what is a "safe" electric utility vehicle.
That line was previously drawn and redrawn on many occasions.
The risk is associated with motor vehicles as a group and they (both), for now, fall within that group.
Yma o Hyd
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Just a comment on the poll itself:

The two most popular responses appear to be almost identical. The current legislation is aimed at replicating (roughly) the performance of a reasonably fit cyclist and for many machines does allow power to be applied without pedaling (conversions and bikes first used before 2016).

Could we have an option for including the German/Dutch "S-class"? This would appear to be the extra class some people are asking for, a bit more power and speed but with some extra restrictions. The only reservation I would have is that S-class has compulsory helmets, which could be the thin end of a wedge.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

meic wrote:How is that put into law?
Somebody has to draw a line between what is a pick up and what is a "safe" electric utility vehicle.
That line was previously drawn and redrawn on many occasions.
The risk is associated with motor vehicles as a group and they (both), for now, fall within that group.

It's put into law and the line drawn by the class definition.

"A vehicle being electric powered of less than 1KW and a gross weight less than 120kg" etc etc.

I'm pretty sure most folk would prefer stuff like that dotting around. With suitable weight and power restrictions it wouldn't matter who made them - and with that we're back to cargo bikes/trikes/quads.

TBH if the 750w class I mentioned earlier existed then that would probably be enough if it allowed trikes and possibly quads. Just requires the right wording.
meic

Post by meic »

That would still be a class of motor vehicle requiring licence, construction and use etc.
This would involve a lot more "work" for all the bodies involved than the rather simple exemption for very low powered assists. May be they will do it to encourage some environmental improvement but it will involve quite some effort on their part.
In 1997 we took a step away from that when the L class electrically propelled vehicle class was dropped from driving licences (though I still have mine :wink: ).
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

I am just wondering what the Quest could achieve with 750W at its disposal. :mrgreen:
I doubt it would remain outside of motor vehicle regulations if it started off under an "exemption".
Yma o Hyd
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

meic wrote:I am just wondering what the Quest could achieve with 750W at its disposal. :mrgreen:
I doubt it would remain outside of motor vehicle regulations if it started off under an "exemption".

In days of yore a moped had about 3hp (a little over 2kw) and struggled to hit 30mph, although they were pretty heavy.
From my not so fond remembering I'm not sure I'd get too excited by 750w, I doubt its the Adrenalin fuelled monster you might think. ;)
meic

Post by meic »

But a Quest can get 30mph with around 250W*, I have seen a chart which shows how fast it can go for different powers. I think that 750W exceeds even the best cyclist and the record for a HPV is around 90mph.

*Dodgy back of fag paper guess.
Yma o Hyd
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

meic wrote:But a Quest can get 30mph with around 250W*, I have seen a chart which shows how fast it can go for different powers. I think that 750W exceeds even the best cyclist and the record for a HPV is around 90mph.

*Dodgy back of fag paper guess.

90mph must have been extremely slippery. I've no idea what drag is for a Quest but it goes up with the square of the speed.
If it can do 30 then my best guess is 40-45.

<edit> Could be as high as 50, although the motor would have to be spinning at optimum rpm.
meic

Post by meic »

I found this which makes my dodgy fag packet guess to be pretty spot on.
It also figures 50mph for 750W.

http://www.hembrow.eu/personal/kreuzotter/espeed.htm

The point is that at those speeds on the flat (and even faster on the downs) if these get even remotely popular the weight of public disapproval will come crashing down on them, followed by new laws.
Yma o Hyd
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

meic wrote:The point is that at those speeds on the flat (and even faster on the downs) if these get even remotely popular the weight of public disapproval will come crashing down on them, followed by new laws.

Get in there quick then you'll have grandfather rights!

IMO I can't imagine them becoming that popular, plus public disapproval about bikes is high already, anything extra is just more noise.

<edit> just found them, at those prices I think we can safely discount popular...
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Ruadh495 wrote:Just a comment on the poll itself:

The two most popular responses appear to be almost identical. The current legislation is aimed at replicating (roughly) the performance of a reasonably fit cyclist and for many machines does allow power to be applied without pedaling (conversions and bikes first used before 2016).

Could we have an option for including the German/Dutch "S-class"? This would appear to be the extra class some people are asking for, a bit more power and speed but with some extra restrictions. The only reservation I would have is that S-class has compulsory helmets, which could be the thin end of a wedge.

It's probably a bit late for a change in the poll to give a meaningful result. In any case, what you're suggesting (although interesting) is orthogonal; adding another classification of vehicle, rather than exploring the boundaries of what we'll accept as a bike.

The similarity of the two most popular options was deliberate, intended to draw out whether people really cared about whether riders were drivers vs cyclists. And the pattern of responses was interesting; early responses during the day were strongly in favour of a relaxed interpretation, then in the evening the was a strong push for the status quo. I'm curious as to whether the early respondents were predominantly retired, and therefore more likely to be considering health issues that might make reduced restrictions on e-bikes more desirable.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Currently the rules just equalise the rough speed between fit cyclists and those less fit who use a battery to help. The latter is as safe, speedwise, as the former. Adding to speed increases the risk potential thus potentially creating problems on cycle or mixed use paths. This is already happening with the use of overpowered hi tech MTBs in the forests where they are thus illegal. Allowing, nay encouraging high powered battery bikes on the road would be great but that would have to included current moped legislation.
Of course a line has to be drawn somewhere and currently I think its fine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mattsccm wrote:Allowing, nay encouraging high powered battery bikes on the road would be great but that would have to included current moped legislation.

With regards paths they're already illegal. Like most things it just needs enforcing, if you can't enforce it then it arguably shouldn't exist. Unenforced laws diminish the whole.

Why include current moped legislation? A moped these days is just a small motorcycle.
An electric bike is much more desirable than a moped. Lighter, massively cleaner (mopeds are one of the dirtiest vehicles on the road). Ideally we should encourage them rather than legislate them away.

In other countries they have a second tier of electric bike. More power but with more restrictions yet still (usually) without excessive legislation.
My argument is that such a vehicle would fill a hole over here too.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

kwackers wrote:
mattsccm wrote:Allowing, nay encouraging high powered battery bikes on the road would be great but that would have to included current moped legislation.

With regards paths they're already illegal. Like most things it just needs enforcing, if you can't enforce it then it arguably shouldn't exist. Unenforced laws diminish the whole.

Why include current moped legislation? A moped these days is just a small motorcycle.
An electric bike is much more desirable than a moped. Lighter, massively cleaner (mopeds are one of the dirtiest vehicles on the road). Ideally we should encourage them rather than legislate them away.

In other countries they have a second tier of electric bike. More power but with more restrictions yet still (usually) without excessive legislation.
My argument is that such a vehicle would fill a hole over here too.

There doesn't seem to be much doubt in Germany and Holland that the "second tier" S-class is a bicycle rather than a motorcycle. S-class use cycle paths (compulsory?) for example, though they do also permit low power mopeds on cycle paths.

BTW a major part of the resistance to more powerful e-bikes (ie Britain getting S-class) comes from motorcycle and moped industry bodies. S-class could certainly make a hole in moped sales, having the same speed restriction (though they do have to be pedaled, no throttle control in S-class) So government would be under strong pressure to place the same restrictions on S-class pedelecs as they do on mopeds, registration, insurance, MOT, motorcycle helmet etc. In theory you could use an S-class in the UK already, you just have to register it as a moped. In practice it won't pass SVA.

Personally I wouldn't want to see S-class permitted on the UK's dreadful shared use "cycle paths". S-class would be a useful commuting tool on the road, though.