Spokes for front hub motor - result

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Geoff.D

Spokes for front hub motor - result

Post by Geoff.D »

I'm in the middle of adding a motor to my front wheel. The motor came with a 26" rim, but I want to match it with 700c. So, I stripped out the spokes, and am about to order a new set. But, I've never built a wheel before, so (at the moment) all my knowledge is through what I read (mostly on these forums, but elsewhere, too).

The stripped out spokes appear to be 2.3mm (13 gauge), but the rim is drilled for 2.0mm (14 gauge). I have three questions -

1. I read that many front hubs use a single butted 13/14 gauge spoke, and this is the optimal choice for the strength/flexibility relationship. Any comments on this?
2. I notice that the elbow length on my stripped out spoke is greater than the elbow length on some old spokes I have knocking around (14 gauge, I think). But, I've practised using 3 of the on-line spoke length calculators (discussed by Brucey in December) and they make no mention of this measurement. I realise it isn't a variable in the spoke length calculation, but I do need to get it right when I order. How do I specify this length?
3. Do you have any recommendations as to suppliers, bearing in mind that I'm looking for (possibly) non-standard spokes with 13/14 single butted and a longer elbow?

Many thanks, in anticipation.
Geoff
Last edited by Geoff.D on 23 Jan 2018, 5:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
hemo

Re: Spokes for front hub motor

Post by hemo »

I have built /used my front 350w bpm in 26 &700c rim both times using 14g sapim plain gauge.
Wheels have performed well with no issues of spokes breaking or loosening.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

hemo wrote:I have built /used my front 350w bpm in 26 &700c rim both times using 14g sapim plain gauge.
Wheels have performed well with no issues of spokes breaking or loosening.

Thanks for this, hemo.
jk49

Post by jk49 »

Not sure what length spokes you will need, but if you need extra short, as lots of ebike hub motors use, I can recommend ryanbuildwheels on ebay. Just search for custom spokes or short spoke. No connection, but excellent fast service.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

jk49 wrote:Not sure what length spokes you will need, but if you need extra short, as lots of ebike hub motors use, I can recommend ryanbuildwheels on ebay. Just search for custom spokes or short spoke. No connection, but excellent fast service.

Thanks, jk49
hemo

Post by hemo »

Ryanbuildwheels a very good call.
I placed an order yesterday for a rear hub lace and for some reason my ebay message to them was deleted on their side so received a call this afternoon to confirm spoke length and they are now in the post.
So top service from them.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

hemo wrote:Ryanbuildwheels a very good call.
I placed an order yesterday for a rear hub lace and for some reason my ebay message to them was deleted on their side so received a call this afternoon to confirm spoke length and they are now in the post.
So top service from them.

Thanks for the recommendation, hemo. I used Ryan. Not only did I get the spokes I needed, but he was very generous with his advice to a novice.