Smaller charger?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Eric the Red

Smaller charger?

Post by Eric the Red »

My charger is huge and heavy - 700gm and bulky. Does anyone do smaller/lighter ones to carry on tour. 42v, 5mm coaxial. Mine is 3A, but wouldn't mind a slower charge overnight etc. :?:
hemo

Re: Smaller charger?

Post by hemo »

My generic China 42v 2a Sans chargers weigh between 400 & 500 grams and I do have one that is about 225 grams due to the plastic casing having a lot of flute cut outs.
It will depend on the bike/manufacturer brand as to whether a different charger can be used.
What is the charger brand & the buike you have ?
Eric the Red

Post by Eric the Red »

hemo wrote:My generic China 42v 2a Sans chargers weigh between 400 & 500 grams and I do have one that is about 225 grams due to the plastic casing having a lot of flute cut outs.
It will depend on the bike/manufacturer brand as to whether a different charger can be used.
What is the charger brand & the buike you have ?

It's an ST Kunshan STC8108LC and it's a Sparticle 250w front hub motor conversion on a 26" wheel touring bike. Actually, without the mains lead it weighs about 480 gm.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The Kunshan charger appears to be like a lot of China plastic body chargers with out cooling fan/s.
They get quite warm during charging.

As long as you can find one with a charge plug the same then any one should do the job if the battery is just a generic type, 2a charge rate tends to be the norm on genric chargers.

How many pins in the charger socket to battery connection ?
If it has only three pin outs then you can use the cheap/light weight one I have linked to below, though you will have to cut off the leads and swap them over ensuring wiring polarity is correct.

This is one of the one I have at about 225/250 grams all in weight but as I mentioned a case of finding one with the correct charge connector or swapping over the output/input charger lead.
1.6 amp output.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36v-Battery- ... SwN2VZSmOy

2amp output.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-36v-Lithiu ... Swz5ZZsQjw