Charging the battery on tour

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Burnsider

Charging the battery on tour

Post by Burnsider »

I have a Cube pedelec and would like to do some cycletouring this summer. Do campsites let you charge the battery? In a B and B or YHA, it wouldn't be a problem but the battery could need charging every night on a decent day's ride carrying all the kit. Anyone tried this, especially on small sites?
Tigerbiten

Re: Charging the battery on tour

Post by Tigerbiten »

Yes, most sites have power sockets for caravans which you can charge from.
But you'll normally need to pay a surcharge for the power.
You'll also need the blue external power plug extension in the UK.

Luck ........ :D
Burnsider

Post by Burnsider »

I never thought about having and Electric Hook Up, which is do able but I prefer small sites and often there are no EHUs. Has anyone costed a charge of a bike battery, so I could offer to pay?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

If you don't want to/cannot use EHU's then your other option is to see if you can leave it to charge overnight in the site office/house.
Most small sites I've used over the last few years have had some type of limited EHU points, but they do tend to be taken by caravans.
The ones which didn't tended to have an honesty box ...... :D
I wouldn't think the toilet block is safe enough to use, unlike with small 20000 mAh cache batteries.

Luck ......... :D
hemo

Post by hemo »

Cost of charging an ebike battery is minimal, typically about one or two pence an hour using a standard 2a charger, typically 5hrs full charge for 10ah one and 7.25 for 14.5ah etc ,etc.
skelo

Post by skelo »

I did along European tour in the summer, got a full charge in my room overnight, when I needed a boost in the day, cafe's and bars where I had lunch were more than happy to let me plug in, I hope it would be the same in the UK!
Burnsider

Post by Burnsider »

That is very encouraging - thank you all!
hemo

Post by hemo »

Also with ebikes batteries you can ease owners/managers worries about overnight charging as OEM batteries have a BMS/PCB wired up inside and once charging reaches full it will shut off to protect said battery from damage which automatically stops the charger from drawing current.