My Unwanted Ebike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
BikeNet

My Unwanted Ebike

Postby BikeNet » 10 Mar 2018, 9:45pm

Hi everybody and Im a newb here, not new to cycling but new to E cycling...
So, having done many years on the MTB and road bike decided to have a pop at the Ebike scene. Had a few test rides and loved it, took the plunge and covered 30 miles on my KTM Macina Lycan 27.5 11 CX5+ and realised that its just not for me. Expensive lesson learned, but then hey ho - so before I list a for sale on this bike I just wanted to post here for two reasons. 1 Im new in this forum and this is the fist electric bike section I saw and 2 Im not actually sure if Im allowed to offer my bike for sale on here.
Please point me the right way, can I offer it for sale on here and where should I present it please?

Its immaculate, just 30 miles!

brynpoeth

Re: My Unwanted Ebike

Postby brynpoeth » 11 Mar 2018, 6:28am

Yes you may offer it here under bikes for sale, give a good description and some pictures

You wrote that you loved riding an e-bike then soon realised it did not suit you :?
Please explain!
Alternative facts welcome .. Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

BikeNet

Postby BikeNet » 11 Mar 2018, 9:31pm

Hi, well the first ride of any ebike is a fantastic experience and I defy anybody that would say its not a great feeling. The first few rides are an amazing feeling and I loved it I must admit. Though I still love to ride un-assisted and the bike I have is just not getting the use it deserves. I know I will come back to this, but I want to tick a few boxes off before I settle for the ebike completely.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 11 Mar 2018, 9:34pm

Maybe you should keep it awhile, you might regret selling it, you could always sell it later
Alternative facts welcome .. Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

hemo

Postby hemo » 11 Mar 2018, 10:28pm

Problem with selling is it's a soiled used bike and like a new car you will lose a chunk of the value straight away.
I know of one case that someone found their bike unsuitable and after contacting the dealer, he only offered them 60% of it's value. Quite extreme in that case.
Used price will be dependent on the bikes age in moths or years to come to a good value.
3 figures need to be known to get a good value, bike age, bike cost new and new battery cost all to determine a figure.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 11 Mar 2018, 11:18pm

hemo wrote:....
I know of one case that someone found their bike unsuitable and after contacting the dealer, he only offered them 60% of it's value. Quite extreme in that case.....

But when they buy from an importer/distributor what price would they pay (given their mark-up of selling). And then we are talking about a new bike not a 2nd hand one. I can appreciate the 60% from a dealer.

Ian

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 12 Mar 2018, 9:49am

20% of the value is VAT. So surely you would have to discount that before depreciation?
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

hemo

Postby hemo » 12 Mar 2018, 10:28am

A new bike ridden 30 miles is a used 2nd hand bike no matter how you want to look at it.
Also some e-bike brands/manufacturers like Bosch will not transfer remaining warranty to a new owner so any future issues leave them very exposed. This needs to be checked before deciding to sell , a new owner may be able to buy a new dealer/manufacturer warranty which would need to be off set against the sale price.
Some good own brand e bike retailers will transfer warranty on their products or extend warranty once said bike ahs been inspected by them.
In all probability even a private sale it's value will a minimum of 25% less dependent on age of said bike not how many miles it has done.

As I previously mentioned I can give you a good estimate of it's value if the bike age in months/years is known and also the e-bike price when new and importantly the battery replacement value has a role in valuation. For price trending look on ebay for used sales of similar e-bikes.