Waking up an e bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
HPW

Waking up an e bike

Postby HPW » 8 Apr 2018, 12:03pm

Hello, advice needed, please. I have a Carrera Crosscity ebike. I only rode it twice - long story! - so battery still had charge, when I had to stop. Just tried to use it today, and getting no power. Instructions manual says it will have gone into deep sleep mode and I need to hold down the power button on the battery for several seconds, but that makes no sense as the power button is a simple click on or off - you can’t hold it down. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help after a very frustrating morning!

Graham

Re: Waking up an e bike

Postby Graham » 8 Apr 2018, 12:23pm

How long has it been unused ?

The stored energy will drain away over time, at a rate depending on the battery chemistry.

Would it not be best/simplest to plug the charger in to replenish the battery ?

HPW

Postby HPW » 8 Apr 2018, 1:14pm

Thanks, David. Have plugged the battery into the charger but the LED is green, indicating it is charged. Left it charging for a while anyway... It’s several months since I’ve ridden it.

hemo

Postby hemo » 8 Apr 2018, 10:01pm

Some batteries do have a sleep mode and need a long depress to reactivate the BMS.
Check the battery output voltage with a meter to accertain if the battery is balanced or not, some times after long inactivity cell volatge can bleed off unevenly and the battery cells can become unbalanced.
Batteries should not be left stored at full voltage as this leads to ageing of the cells, ideally 38.5v storage voltage is good for periods of inactivity and better stored in a cold place.

HPW

Postby HPW » 10 Apr 2018, 5:04pm

Thanks for reply. Took it back to Halfords. My charger was a dud. “Not a another one” I heard... So they got a fresh one out of the box and that did’t work either. (Got them to try chargers on both my bike and their showroom model.) Then they used the charger they use - and still nothing on my bike. Asked me to leave it with them to give it a longer charge. Still not heard anything. I paid £80 when I bought the bike for extended warranty as I could see the battery was the weak point and by far the most expensive component. Not sure where this will go....

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 11 Apr 2018, 12:05pm

HPW wrote:I paid £80 when I bought the bike for extended warranty as I could see the battery was the weak point and by far the most expensive component.
Looks like a good call! Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction, but do let us know how you get on.
"42"