Bit OT: Electric Bikes Bought from Shopping Channel

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Annoying Twit

Bit OT: Electric Bikes Bought from Shopping Channel

Post by Annoying Twit »

Bit OT as it's another forum, but the following is an example of someone learning a hard lesson.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sh ... ?t=5844225

In April last year, I purchased two folding electric bikes from Ideal World Shopping channel. First (and last!) ever purchase off a shopping channel.

The bikes have been problematic ever since I received them.

Between the two, we have had pedals falling off, chains falling off, punctures (due to poor quality tyres), the handlebars collapsing whilst riding, the saddle collapsing whilst riding, the wheel being damaged beyond repair due to going over a dropped kerb. etc etc etc.

I mentally thought 'Uh oh' as soon as I saw they had purchased bikes from a shopping channel.

At least 'supermarket bike shaped objects' aren't that expensive. But, with electric bikes, someone could spend hundreds and hundreds and end up with unusable junk.
hemo

Re: Bit OT: Electric Bikes Bought from Shopping Channel

Post by hemo »

Buyers get what they paid for a cheap bike, take the cost of the electrics off battery £180/200, motor kit £80/100 what are you left with not a lot.
Some people don't do there home work and think I'm not paying that, then when something cheap comes along they jump in head first then bemoan the item when it goes wrong. :?:
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

hemo wrote:Buyers get what they paid for a cheap bike, take the cost of the electrics off battery £180/200, motor kit £80/100 what are you left with not a lot.
Some people don't do there home work and think I'm not paying that, then when something cheap comes along they jump in head first then bemoan the item when it goes wrong. :?:

The buyer of the cr*p e-bike paid about £500 for it. In fact: they bought two of them, for a total £1000. With batteries, motors, and other things such as sensors and computer controllers, with an e-bike it's possible to both pay a sizeable chunk of ££££ and also to be getting a cr*p product.

The OP in that thread is now looking at Juicybikes, which cost over twice as much but have better reviews.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Joe public have no idea of the cost of bikes and less idea of the value of them,they think a bike is only a bike and should be practically given away free.
Some years ago we were stopped at a cafe parking our Cannondale tandem.A gent in his 70's I'd guess,was marvelling at it and asking about the disc brakes and gearing.He then nudged me and said "I'll bet you didn't get much change out £300 buying that",he was dumbfounded when I told him he'd need to add a nought to buy one new.
The other extreme is the Baum thread
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden