Any advice on buying an E-assist folding bike ?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Cunobelin

Re: e-bike, is this the right place to ask

Post by Cunobelin »

hemo wrote:I obtained nearly 30mph in a one off test I did just to try out it's true potential.

.... and should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph

Remains illegal....
hemo

Post by hemo »

30 mph assist speed is illegal yes, as with most China kits and some OEM hub bikes the speed can be adjusted in user settings hidden menu.
As I stated it was for a one off test to see what it's capability was.
All of my ebikes are set to 17mph/27mph as this is deemed legal allowing for the 10% over reading as with all UK motor vehicles, on Pedelecs some where there is a draft reply from Transport minister or DVLA stating this
willcee

Post by willcee »

Another rant about speed!! If you have ever ridden a bike at 30 mph for any distance you will know or should know that it takes you to be on top of your game, road surface , glass, flints, gravel, pot holes all manner of detritus need careful avoidance tactics, that at 30 is a whole other ball game, ask me how I know.. yesterday I called with a trade friend and he noticed my kit equipped steed and had a nosy around it.. I sell 'em he says, not many , but a few now and then, what about the law I says, speed you mean?? he says, how are any of them law officers to tell whether or not you were on power or just pedalling..he had a point..I wish that those who denigrate the E bike would actually hire or borrow a decent one for a good ride and then come back here and pontificate from experience not what they read or hearsay.. why?? cause I have witnessed a Vet cyclist / a good guy, decry them from on high, then watched him eat humble pie after he had an hour on one..thats the future he said, I know that I replied.. will
hemo

Post by hemo »

hemo wrote:30 mph assist speed is illegal yes, as with most China kits and some OEM hub bikes the speed can be adjusted in user settings hidden menu.
All of my ebikes are set to 17mph/27mph as this is deemed legal allowing for the 10% over reading as with all UK motor vehicles, on Pedelecs some where there is a draft reply from Transport minister or DVLA stating this

There is a major typo in my text above 27mph should read 27km/h.
Last edited by hemo on 15 Jul 2018, 9:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

hemo wrote:
hemo wrote:30 mph assist speed is illegal yes, as with most China kits and some OEM hub bikes the speed can be adjusted in user settings hidden menu.

There is a major typo in my test above 27mph should read 27km/h.

Why don't you just edit the original typo?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Airsporter1st wrote:
hemo wrote:

There is a major typo in my test above 27mph should read 27km/h.

Why don't you just edit the original typo?

Perhaps because no one would notice?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

...........All of my ebikes are set to 17mph/27kph as this is deemed legal allowing for the 10% over reading as with all UK motor vehicles, on Pedelecs some where there is a draft reply from Transport minister or DVLA stating this

Wrong. The law on speed limits for motor vehicles is quite simple. The speed limit is XX, if you exceed this limit you are guilty of an offence. Now, the Police may have guidelines that say something like, give a 10% allowance for an inaccurate speedo, then plus 2mph, but they are only guidelines and motorist have been done for driving at 31 in a 30 zone. The law for e-bike is similarly defined, but as a maximum power assisted speed.

As with motorist you will very likely get away with speeding, as long as it's just above the limit, but in the event of a serious accident involving an e-bike you can be sure the police will be checking whoever’s e-bike for signs of tamper of the processor just as thoroughly as they check motorists for mobile phone usage, length of skid marks or chips of paint to trace the type of car. Remember the Charlie Alliston case, the missing front brake and the lengths the Police went too to prove their case.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Again in the unfortunate circumstance of any accident with an E bike, and i'm discussing a UK spec legal machine either full machine or kit, what are the police to do, are they type approved yet?? there's no insurance class, no MOT, so they are being treated as pedal cycles..and in the case of speed tests the claimed accuracy of the law officers testing machinery has to be tested weekly afaik and it has been found to be way off the mark, in these days of Government cuts affecting these forces i would guess that many are escaping.. so why are so many on here trying to find reasons to try and justify their arguments if i have indeed understood their position, that of being totally against the use of battery powered cycles.. will
fullupandslowingdown

Re: Any advice on buying an E-assist folding bike ?

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

or 'they' could raise the maximum assisted speed to say 24mph. Most of us can ride at that on a good day anyway for as long as a standard battery would last on a ebike at that speed given the greater power to overcome wind resistance. Interesting idea about using power tool batteries. I assume you mean the 18V Li-ion. A growing number of manufacturers are now doing 36V and a few are doing 48V - 54V Li-ion battery tools. Are we going to see any diy lash ups, a power drill driving a tread dynamo type roller pressing against a tyre, though my gut tells me such an arrangement would see large power losses due.
As for talk of VED tax, obviously any ebike would be pay less than any electric car.
hemo

Post by hemo »

19/20mph is a more sensible max assist speed limit and easily achievable with all my ebikes.

Diy route with drill has been done in Holland by a 12 year old kid, somewhere on UTube is a video and in the US a very neat retro crusier bike has a stylish 50's look about it where the builder has used 6 x 18v dewalt drill batteries mounted in 3 pairs paralled.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It is all down to the "plate" on the motor as this establishes the legal "identity"

If the plate states anything above 250 w rating - your machine is illegal
horizon

Post by horizon »

belgiangoth wrote:My Mother-in-law thinks she needs an electric assist, so it's worth spending the cash to get her the independence and mobility. I was thinking some sort of electric assist folder, possibly with a BB motor as opposed to on the wheel (not that she will change punctures, but so that someone else/I can without being put off by the electrickery). What's good and what's to be avoided?

I'm wondering if there's something special about an electric folder. Choosing a folder is on its own a bit of a deliberation (unless you really need one) and getting an electric bike likewise. Is there something about an electric folder that attracts people?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ChilledOut

Post by ChilledOut »

if You are a lottery winner I suggest a Brompton e-bike! Ok they are front hub powered but don’t worry about punctures - opt for Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres which have, I think, a 7mm band below the tread to help you to avoid punctures.
I’m 67 and hadn’t cycled for over 45 years and before a knee replacement I started cycling again with an ebike to assist my wrecked knee. It helped build up leg muscles but after the knee op I decided it was a pain having to lift an ebike onto a tow bar mounted rack so bought a standard Brompton which was fantastic.... small to store, will fit in car boot with ease and easy to fold. However I missed the electric assistance so bought an electric Brompton. It has all the advantages of a standard Brompton but the assistance helps on hills.
Ok I have rambled on a bit but honestly if finance isn’t too much of an issue buy one. Bromptons really hold their price... a friend only lost £150 after five years use and on my three month old Brompton I only lost £120. They hold their value as they don’t discount. Photo below shows my Apple Green Brompton (now sold) and the Electric Brompton.
Standard & Electric Bromptons
Standard & Electric Bromptons