E-bikes,scooters and motorbkies

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
gnvqsos

Re: E-bikes,scooters and motorbkies

Post by gnvqsos »

I think you may find the first cyclists were drawn from the upper echelons-the proletariat would have laughed as toffs tried to rough it.T^his guardian extract misses the real point

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... y-cyclists

The lowest paid workers were largely excluded from bicycling-rather like today's poor seldom have a foreign holiday.Few had the free time and surplus energy to bike it.Even today cycling,sadly seems dominated by the white middle class,with few participants coming from more diverse origins.I have never seen a Hasidic Jew riding a bike,nor a turban on a tandem,
hemo

Post by hemo »

Slightly off topic but an answer to Q8 in Mountfields dislikes;
Jimmy at BGA Reworking/Insat intl in North London about 10/15 mins walk from Bounds Green tube station.
Uses only top quality cells (generally about 6 or 7 branded cells only) for battery recells he can do Bosch /Yamaha etc just a case of keeping the BMS live during the process so comms connection isn't broken.
His prices have to be seen to be belived and are much cheaper then most budget OEM packs, his character is infectious and he treats his job more as a hobby then work.
Batteries 4 -10 days turn around and he arranges for pick up and drop off.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gnvqsos wrote:I think you may find the first cyclists were drawn from the upper echelons-the proletariat would have laughed as toffs tried to rough it.T^his guardian extract misses the real point

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... y-cyclists

The lowest paid workers were largely excluded from bicycling-rather like today's poor seldom have a foreign holiday.Few had the free time and surplus energy to bike it.Even today cycling,sadly seems dominated by the white middle class,with few participants coming from more diverse origins.I have never seen a Hasidic Jew riding a bike,nor a turban on a tandem,

End of,I'm out :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Holland last year was interesting for us. Seeing rather small, old ladies speeding past us on their bikes going at the same speed up and down hill amused us. The hum was the only thing giving it away.

Being the dune system some beaches were a reasonable cycle away from town so I doubt they'd get over the hilly dunes to get there. However they went on groups for a day out at the beach. I find that a really positive thing. Even with the motor they were getting exercise but the motor allowed them to actually get somewhere.

Back home a few years ago a work colleague used one too. A similar shopper type of ebike as used in Holland. It allowed him to cycle to work avoiding the usually quite heavy traffic going home. Plus he got a bit of exercise. Before the ebike he had a normal bike but never used it, too far to commute without the motor for him.

I think ebike are a personal choice. If they suit you then great, if not great too. If you think they have no place then the evidence seems to contradict that opinion. People are buying them for a wide range of uses and reasons. They have value for them.
georgew

Post by georgew »

gnvqsos wrote:
After cycle-touring for over fifty years, I suffered two heart attacks, a stroke, and having knackered knees, normal cycling became very difficult if not impossible. In an effort to rejoin my cycling friends on at least moderate, runs I converted one of my bikes to e-assist which meant I still had to pedal but had enough help to keep up.

Reading your post, I'm going to assume that you are a young person, or at least someone who has yet to experience any type of disability and that perhaps accounts for your lack of sensitivity on this subject. When young we live as if we are immortal and there is good reason for this.......but in reality, we are just a hair-breadth away from some unforeseen disaster which could change our life entirely.

Your assumption is wrong but quite understandable.I was simply expressing surprise at the proliferation of ebikes,especially when the motorbike provides such cool competition.I am sorry your ailments have imposed some restrictions on your choice of transportI suppose these issues might have afflicted you aty a younger age had you not been a regular.

No....you went much further than expressing surprise. Your comments were one long sneer at the whole idea and which was then extended to include other groups of disabled people.

If you had any sensitivity you would be ashamed.
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

No....you went much further than expressing surprise. Your comments were one long sneer at the whole idea and which was then extended to include other groups of disabled people.

I do find the idea puzzling.Why buy an electric bike when a motorbike or scooter is more fun,faster and is a proven success.Many e-bikers hardly pedal and are doing no more exercise than a motor-cyclist.I was not sneering at other groups of disabled people,and I am not ashamed,I find your remarks rather personal but they will not deter me from expressing an opinion.How do you promote the needs of the disabled?Do you support the appropriate charities?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gnvqsos wrote:I think you may find the first cyclists were drawn from the upper echelons-the proletariat would have laughed as toffs tried to rough it.

But there was a period in which the bicycle was the transport of the working and lower middle classes, whilst those who could afford them went about in cars.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
horizon

Re: Ebikes : The means justifes the end !

Post by horizon »

Mountgrove wrote:Hello, I have been riding an ebike for 3 years. So I thought I would add my conclusions.

So began my journey into ebike territory and I soon realised things are not as simple as they seem !

Here is what I like.

Now here is what I DISLIKE !

Please feel free to comment and I would like to hear from others who have made an ebike "journey" !

Really good summary - thanks. It's interesting to hear from someone who has actually tried an ebike and given it their best and come out the other end and back to an ordinary bike.

My concern about ebikes is that they might be taken up by non-cyclists who never get to experience what they and a bike could do. The trouble with this forum is that ebike users on here have mostly had a lifetime of cycling and know what it's like - so my argument with them is that it's the other lot I'm referring to! :D

As regards mobility scooters, it's great to see people getting around who might otherwise not.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gnvqsos wrote:I do find the idea puzzling.Why buy an electric bike when a motorbike or scooter is more fun,faster and is a proven success.Many e-bikers hardly pedal and are doing no more exercise than a motor-cyclist.I was not sneering at other groups of disabled people,and I am not ashamed,I find your remarks rather personal but they will not deter me from expressing an opinion.How do you promote the needs of the disabled?Do you support the appropriate charities?

the people that I know who have them fall into two groups:
-ebike are simply an efficient way to get around that doesn't require too much effort, but is better than a car
-people who enjoy cycling but have a challenging commute and can do it more often with an ebike than normal pedal bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
georgew

Post by georgew »

gnvqsos wrote:

I do find the idea puzzling.Why buy an electric bike when a motorbike or scooter is more fun,faster and is a proven success.Many e-bikers hardly pedal and are doing no more exercise than a motor-cyclist.I was not sneering at other groups of disabled people,and I am not ashamed,I find your remarks rather personal but they will not deter me from expressing an opinion.How do you promote the needs of the disabled?Do you support the appropriate charities?

Believe it or not, the idea of a motorbike or a scooter does not usually appeal to older people given their slower responses and the inherent dangers of riding in today's traffic. Really....I would have thought this was obvious and the e-assisted bike provides a safer and easier way to get around with no need for insurance or safety gear.

As for your question as to what do I personally do to promote the needs of the disabled, the truth is that right now very little, as I myself live in sheltered accommodation due to my disabilities. That said, in the past, I did found and run a Bike charity which offered training to the disabled in refurbishing and repairing unwanted bikes and selling them on to those people who could not afford to buy these new.

Tell me.......did I pass the test? Are my views now more relevant than before, given that I have been personally involved in supporting disabled people?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

georgew wrote:Believe it or not, the idea of a motorbike or a scooter does not usually appeal to older people given their slower responses and the inherent dangers of riding in today's traffic. Really....I would have thought this was obvious and the e-assisted bike provides a safer and easier way to get around with no need for insurance or safety gear.

And the fact that an e-bike can be used wherever any bike can be.
What the blinkered OP seems to forget is that people who have cycled all their lives and wish to continue,an e-bike allows that when the body,for whatever reason begins to faulter but the will is to carry on,or the thousand and one other reasons a blinkered individual will never see the reason for an e-bike's use

As for your question as to what do I personally do to promote the needs of the disabled, the truth is that right now very little, as I myself live in sheltered accommodation due to my disabilities. That said, in the past, I did found and run a Bike charity which offered training to the disabled in refurbishing and repairing unwanted bikes and selling them on to those people who could not afford to buy these new.

Tell me.......did I pass the test? Are my views now more relevant than before, given that I have been personally involved in supporting disabled people?

It seems we must now show qualifications to post about disability needs..........
W H Auden
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

And the fact that an e-bike can be used wherever any bike can be.
What the blinkered OP seems to forget is that people who have cycled all their lives and wish to continue,an e-bike allows that when the body,for whatever reason begins to faulter but the will is to carry on,or the thousand and one other reasons a blinkered individual will never see the reason for an e-bike

That’s exactly why I ride only my ebike now.
Before I became unwell enough to ride any of my road bikes I averaged about 13mph which is what I do now, though I have to ride with some level of assist all of the time.
I would also like to add that riding a 25kg ebike does require effort even with assist and after a 50 mile ride I come home tired just like I used to.

P.S. I'll find out how to quote properly one day :?
Last edited by Vetus Ossa on 16 Jun 2018, 6:44pm, edited 4 times in total.
Beauty will save the world.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Versus Ossa
The only thing wrong was the first quote mark was like this; [/quote] Instead of like this; [quote]
You can edit the post by omitting the / to show my post as a quote
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You've omitted the / from both sets of quote brackets when it should be left in place on the last set :wink:
W H Auden
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Bingo :lol:
Thanks reohn2
Beauty will save the world.