gaz

Re: E-bikes,scooters and motorbikes

Post by gaz »

gnvqsos wrote:5.encourage people to block up bridal paths

Bloody e-bikers :wink: .
Graham

Re: E-bikes,scooters and motorbkies

Post by Graham »

There are some useful contributions within this topic. It would be a pity to lose the lot.
( i.e. I won't bother editing it further. )
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Well, it all ended happily! They got married :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Mountgrove

Post by Mountgrove »

hemo wrote:Slightly off topic but an answer to Q8 in Mountfields dislikes;
Jimmy at BGA Reworking/Insat intl in North London about 10/15 mins walk from Bounds Green tube station.
Uses only top quality cells (generally about 6 or 7 branded cells only) for battery recells he can do Bosch /Yamaha etc just a case of keeping the BMS live during the process so comms connection isn't broken.
His prices have to be seen to be belived and are much cheaper then most budget OEM packs, his character is infectious and he treats his job more as a hobby then work.
Batteries 4 -10 days turn around and he arranges for pick up and drop off.

Dear Hemo,
You are absolutely correct about Jimmy. He is a legend. I have spoken to him. The pedelec community does have some really helpful people that can be found on the pedelec forum. But god forbid if Jimmy were to ever retire .... I am afraid battery manufacturers are only to happy to continue to rip off the pedelec community. Jimmy will tell you this himself.
Mountgrove

Re: Ebikes : The means justifes the end !

Post by Mountgrove »

horizon wrote:
Mountgrove wrote:Hello, I have been riding an ebike for 3 years. So I thought I would add my conclusions.

So began my journey into ebike territory and I soon realised things are not as simple as they seem !

Here is what I like.

Now here is what I DISLIKE !

Please feel free to comment and I would like to hear from others who have made an ebike "journey" !

Really good summary - thanks. It's interesting to hear from someone who has actually tried an ebike and given it their best and come out the other end and back to an ordinary bike.

My concern about ebikes is that they might be taken up by non-cyclists who never get to experience what they and a bike could do. The trouble with this forum is that ebike users on here have mostly had a lifetime of cycling and know what it's like - so my argument with them is that it's the other lot I'm referring to! :D

You are so right. Some non-cyclists who purchase a £1k or £2k ebike have literally no idea what an amazing regular bike they could buy with that kind of money ! Plus they probably don't use the gears correctly. The removal of throttles from ebikes since 2015 was a good move as it means you are forced to pedal in order to move forwards - otherwise some ebikes would really just be a glorified mobility scooter that had no requirement to pedal. As for ebike detractors they should remember that if they see someone on an ebike pedalling - he may not necessarily be using assistance. I used to mix it up all the time (except for steep hills!).
hallmrh

Post by hallmrh »

The bigoted and offensive contributions to this discussion persuade me to leave this forum. As a lifelong cyclist now with heart disease and an eBike I leave you to your pathetic ramblings.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hallmrh wrote:The bigoted and offensive contributions to this discussion persuade me to leave this forum. As a lifelong cyclist now with heart disease and an eBike I leave you to your pathetic ramblings.

Please don't leave on account of the minority of one crazy and bigoted contributor.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

hallmrh wrote:The bigoted and offensive contributions to this discussion persuade me to leave this forum.

It is not easy to ignore such remarks and I understand how they have made you feel. If you do feel that you must leave now I hope you will consider returning at some point in the future.

BTW it is possible to create your own personal list of "blocked" posters. You do not get to see their contributions. It is not 100% effective, if somebody else quotes their post or part of it you'll still see it, but it is almost as if that person wasn't here.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

hallmrh wrote:The bigoted and offensive contributions to this discussion persuade me to leave this forum. As a lifelong cyclist now with heart disease and an eBike I leave you to your pathetic ramblings.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

As a general rule, we moderators try to leave in place things like this, in hopes that people may gain some education from it. We do remove direct, overt insults (this thread has been edited), but not necessarily postings by people who have obviously missed, or misunderstood the perspective of others.

I think it is clear that there are people in the population who would not be able to cycle, if weren't for ebikes, and I hoped that the originator of this thread would learn something from the responses to his statements and assumptions.

As gaz said, it is possible to block people, as well. However, none of the moderators suffers from any significant disability (that I am aware of) and we could be unintentionally allowing something without realising how offensive it is. If you find something especially offensive, please use the report button and explain why you feel it should be altered or removed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

As a keen ebiker, I have to admit to being highly entertained by the complete [.moderated.] being talked by the OP, and others. I'm afraid though, it is a free country, relatively, and nobody has the right not to be offended, particularly on an open forum. Life is way to short to be bothered by something as trivial as this :-)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Phil Fouracre wrote:As a keen ebiker, I have to admit to being highly entertained by the complete [.moderated.] being talked by the OP, and others. I'm afraid though, it is a free country, relatively, and nobody has the right not to be offended, particularly on an open forum. Life is way to short to be bothered by something as trivial as this :-)

Plus One
I just wish they would offend briefly coherently and entertainingly if possible :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

gnvqsos wrote:

Can you post the annual sales of motorbikes and ebikes and allow the emperical criteria determine who is right?I could post several cheap, remarks about the ebike.

What about sales of pet goldfish, there is as much relevance as the market are totally different

1.can be ridden by people before they can demonstrate rpad skills

As with bicycles, mini-scooters, balance bikes...... I presume these will also come under the same restrictions This is something you continually fail to answer. One assumes because there isn't a rational or coherent one

2.are exempt fromm tax etc and therefore do not contribue to Exchequer ie are free-loaders

As are all class A VED petrol/diesel vehicles, diasbled persons, ambulances, emergency vehicles, vintage vehicles, electric scooters and electric cars. Some 6.5 million "free loaders"..... Again you ave been asked if all these should be included in the 'E-Bike tax", but there has been no reply here either. Again one suspects because there is no coherent or rational answer that doesn't undermine your agenda

3.are a poor means of exercise,compared with normal bikes

As all are pedal assisted, the motions and energy do give exercise. What hasn't been taken on board is the reasons why many use E-Bikes. One could also argue that my utility bikes suck.... and my touring bike, or cargo bikes should be given the same limitations as compared to racing or sportive, utility cycling is a poor means of exercise

4.are a source of pollution unless electric sourced from renewables

Again the point has been raised repeatedly as to whether you will be including all electric vehicles, and ice vehicles in your new restrictions, after all an electric car motorbikes or scooters emits more particulate pollution than an E-BIke due to additional weight . Again there has been no answer whether these vehicles would be added to your restrictions?

Also lets not forget the fact that the typical person will be eating several cooked meals a day... all which will be a source of pollution as they will have been cooked using energy that derives from the same sources you criticise E-Bikes for. A typical cooked meal will use more energy and cause more pollution than an E-Bike commute...... Will cooked meals also become restricted and taxed under this ill informed scheme?

5.encourage people to block up bridal paths

More biased, unsubstantiated and full informed ranting - these are the same shape, size and function as a normal bike (in many cases smaller than a loaded tourer. Their profile is the same as the average bike. Any evidence support this tripe?

I plan to buy one and store it as these will become collectors items in 2050
[/quote]

It is perfectly feasible.... you can store them under bridges

horizon

Post by horizon »

I think it's generally agreed that the OP was intended deliberately to infuriate so can be ignored. The moderators to their credit allow such posts through on the basis that they might be intended seriously and deserve a reply. But it's a fine line.

I hope you stay on the forum.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

I seem to be reading everywhere at the moment about 'offence' - seems to me to be all a matter of interpretation? Personally, the OP in this case, has been highly entertaining, demonstrating high levels of bigotry and downright stupidity. As the saying goes, 'sticks and stones etc' :-)