Ta da! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mark R

Re: E-bikes,scooters and motorbkies

Post by Mark R »

gnvqsos wrote:
I do find the idea puzzling.Why buy an electric bike when a motorbike or scooter is more fun,faster and is a proven success.Many e-bikers hardly pedal and are doing no more exercise than a motor-cyclist.I was not sneering at other groups of disabled people,and I am not ashamed,I find your remarks rather personal but they will not deter me from expressing an opinion.How do you promote the needs of the disabled?Do you support the appropriate charities?

You find it puzzling???

Doesn't sound like you have given it much thought...

It seems pretty obvious that the disadvantages of motorcycles/scooter, to name but a few, would include:

Cannot ride on cyclepaths
Need to wear a helmet
Are noisy
Stink
Need a special licence
Need to use the same routes as cars = polluted routes
Need MOT, tax and Insurance
Much heavier
No possibility for exercise
Can only park in designated places
Use expensive hydrocarbon fuels

Is it really so puzzling that someone would prefer the clean simplicity of an ebike?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lots of people buy e-bikes without really needing them
One often observes them pedalling abnormally slowly, I mean using too high a gear :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Lots of people buy e-bikes without really needing them
One often observes them pedalling abnormally slowly, I mean using too high a gear :?

The's a lot of stuff not needed but useful,dishwashers,TV's,mobile phones,etc.
Better a not needed e-bike than a not needed over sized 4x4 and SUV or a car of any kind FTM to get you the five miles or so to work and back,no?
I've always welcomed e-bikes as another help toward cleaner air,less cars clogging up the roads for short journeys,helping people to continue their cycling life when they otherwise wouldn't be able to,and as an aid to maintaining health both physically and mentally,or just a convenient means of transport for anyone wise enough to see their value.
TBH,the purist argument against e-bikes falls flat when people who wouldn't normally cycle,find an e-bike fits the bill for whatever reason.
It's a bit like the POB v real cyclist,or BSO v real bike argument which is frankly absurd without knowing the why's and wherefore's of another's life,and smacks of elitism and snobbishness that shows up a camouflaged class system at work in cycling.
E-bikes are here to stay and their increased sales are a testament to their popularity and usefulness,however slowly they're pedalled.So better get used to it and realise the benefits they'll bring to cycling as a whole as their popularity increases.
W H Auden
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

The's a lot of stuff not needed but useful,dishwashers,TV's,mobile phones,etc.
Better a not needed e-bike than a not needed over sized 4x4 and SUV or a car of any kind FTM to get you the five miles or so to work and back,no?
I've always welcomed e-bikes as another help toward cleaner air,less cars clogging up the roads for short journeys,helping people to continue their cycling life when they otherwise wouldn't be able to,and as an aid to maintaining health both physically and mentally,or just a convenient means of transport for anyone wise enough to see their value.
TBH,the purist argument against e-bikes falls flat when people who wouldn't normally cycle,find an e-bike fits the bill for whatever reason.
It's a bit like the POB v real cyclist,or BSO v real bike argument which is frankly absurd without knowing the why's and wherefore's of another's life,and smacks of elitism and snobbishness that shows up a camouflaged class system at work in cycling.
E-bikes are here to stay and their increased sales are a testament to their popularity and usefulness,however slowly they're pedalled.So better get used to it and realise the benefits they'll bring to cycling as a whole as their popularity increases.

e-bikes are a source of pollution-they are metallic,and generation of electricity involves fossil fuels,even so-called green energy.E-bikes are potetial white elephants,and most will be bought up by low level criminals to perpetrate street crimes.Even the Home Secretary,Javid Savid,has been robbed in daylight hours.It shows he is not very street-wise,and totally unqualified for such a role.I would recruit a time-served villain for such a role.Jaqui Smith,Read,Straw and Blunkett all showed a capacity to break rules,the latter two acting disgracefully-Blunkett and the visa for a cleaner,and Straw was outed in a TV sting.Jaqui Smith used funds to hire a grown-ups video and John Reid is from Glasgow,a city noted for villainy.Javid's claim to fame is based on a bus ride.
georgew

Post by georgew »

gnvqsos wrote:
e-bikes are a source of pollution-they are metallic,and generation of electricity involves fossil fuels,even so-called green energy.E-bikes are potetial white elephants,and most will be bought up by low level criminals to perpetrate street crimes.Even the Home Secretary,Javid Savid,has been robbed in daylight hours.It shows he is not very street-wise,and totally unqualified for such a role.I would recruit a time-served villain for such a role.Jaqui Smith,Read,Straw and Blunkett all showed a capacity to break rules,the latter two acting disgracefully-Blunkett and the visa for a cleaner,and Straw was outed in a TV sting.Jaqui Smith used funds to hire a grown-ups video and John Reid is from Glasgow,a city noted for villainy.Javid's claim to fame is based on a bus ride.

Good heavens. :shock:

Ermmmmm......it might be wise to have a wee lay down....seriously.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gnvqsos wrote:e-bikes are a source of pollution-they are metallic,and generation of electricity involves fossil fuels,even so-called green energy.E-bikes are potetial white elephants,and most will be bought up by low level criminals to perpetrate street crimes.Even the Home Secretary,Javid Savid,has been robbed in daylight hours.It shows he is not very street-wise,and totally unqualified for such a role.I would recruit a time-served villain for such a role.Jaqui Smith,Read,Straw and Blunkett all showed a capacity to break rules,the latter two acting disgracefully-Blunkett and the visa for a cleaner,and Straw was outed in a TV sting.Jaqui Smith used funds to hire a grown-ups video and John Reid is from Glasgow,a city noted for villainy.Javid's claim to fame is based on a bus ride.

I'll have a pint of what he's ^^^ had :shock:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bill Gates said
"I would always recruit a lazy person for a difficult job, for she would surely find an efficient way to do it"
Could that apply to politricks?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Well, you certainly get some interesting points of view on this forum! Got to admit that some posts are vastly more interesting than others, and some are completely pointless! Guess which category this one comes under :-)
What on earth! has it got to do with anyone else exactly what sort of transport someone chooses to use?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

"I'll have a pint of what he's ^^^ had :shock:"

Tha'd never be able to afford it-it would be wasted on thee.I'd stick to buttermilk if I were thee!
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

You find it puzzling???

Doesn't sound like you have given it much thought...

"It seems pretty obvious that the disadvantages of motorcycles/scooter, to name but a few, would include:

Cannot ride on cyclepaths
Need to wear a helmet
Are noisy
Stink
Need a special licence
Need to use the same routes as cars = polluted routes
Need MOT, tax and Insurance
Much heavier
No possibility for exercise
Can only park in designated places
Use expensive hydrocarbon fuels

Is it really so puzzling that someone would prefer the clean simplicity of an ebike?"

Can you post the annual sales of motorbikes and ebikes and allow the emperical criteria determine who is right?I could post several cheap, remarks about the ebike.
1.can be ridden by people before they can demonstrate rpad skills
2.are exempt fromm tax etc and therefore do not contribue to Exchequer ie are free-loaders
3.are a poor means of exercise,compared with normal bikes
4.are a source of pollution unless electric sourced from renewables
5.encourage people to block up bridal paths

I plan to buy one and store it as these will become collectors items in 2050
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gnvqsos wrote:
"I'll have a pint of what he's ^^^ had :shock:"

Tha'd never be able to afford it-it would be wasted on thee.I'd stick to buttermilk if I were thee!

I think I'd be better off, but that response tells a lot about thee
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gnvqsos wrote:
Can you post the annual sales of motorbikes and ebikes and allow the emperical criteria determine who is right?

Can you to prove you are?
And why would such sales figures prove anything?

I could post several cheap, remarks about the ebike

You already have and proofed nothing.

1.can be ridden by people before they can demonstrate rpad skills

So can ordinary bikes.

2.are exempt fromm tax etc and therefore do not contribue to Exchequer ie are free-loaders

So are ordinary bikes
Let's not forget that pedelecs are classed as ordinary bikes by law due to their very limited power and speed output.

3.are a poor means of exercise,compared with normal bikes

But that assumes all people see the bicycle as primarily a form of exercise.
It may come as a surprise to you that some people see pedelecs as a means of convenient transport and an alternative to a very cumbersome and grossly polluting means for short haul transport such as the car.

4.are a source of pollution unless electric sourced from renewables

As with anything else is that's electrically powered.
Tell us does your puritanical outlook of electrical use extend to yourself?

5.encourage people to block up bridal paths

I take it you mean bridleways?
If so,how so?
I ride many,many bridleways and have yet to meet anyone riding a pedelec.

plan to buy one and store it as these will become collectors items in 2050

I hope you keep it charged up for when you need the extra help, but don't forget it'll have to be by renewable means otherwise it's use will be nul and void by your own criteria :? .
W H Auden
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Weirder and weirder!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Weirder and weirder!!

Under bridge dweller,5 across :wink:
W H Auden