More and more "accidents" with e-bikes (Germany)

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Cyril Haearn

More and more "accidents" with e-bikes (Germany)

Post by Cyril Haearn »

After a serious "accident" between an e-bike rider and a racing-bike rider the police are trying to establish the cause. The Polizei report ever-increasing [immer mehr] "accidents" with electrically powered cycles
"One may assume that both were going quite fast" speculated a police expert

In his capacity as Verkehrswacht [RoSpA] volunteer a policeman urged all e-bike riders to use helmets. He rides an e-bike to work himself in summer and averages 22-23 kmh. He urged all cyclists to use helmets

In Stormarn there were 293 cycle "accidents" in 2016 and 258 in 2017. E-bike "accidents" rose from 12 to 26
In Lauenburg the corresponding figures were 200:178, E-bikes13:23

"Most do 20-25 kmh, on hills they are surprisingly fast" said a police expert [he did not say whether uphill, downhill or both :wink: ]. The police do not see any need for special action. "The accidents are of many different types, they could have happened with normal bikes too" explained a police expert

A spokesperson for the German cycling club adfc opposed helmet compulsion and recommended learning to ride an e-bike off road first
"An e-bike soon reaches 25 kmh" he gasped, besides it is heavier than a normal bike
Source: Luebecker Nachrichten/Stormarn 05-6-18
I am a boring slow cyclist but I often reach 25 kmh using muscles only, is that normal? :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 23 Jun 2018, 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hercule

Re: More and more "accidents" with e-bikes (Germany)

Post by hercule »

If there are more e-bikes around, it's entirely possible that there may be more accidents...and how long have the police been recording e-bike accidents as a separate category?

My first e-bike ride did take me aback, I hadn’t realised it would take off quite as briskly, but I very quickly adapted. I do wonder what the demographics of riders are, an aging group of riders without much prior cycling experience might inevitably skew the results - the sort who have given up the car and see the e-bike as the natural alternative, rather than life long cyclists who have decided for whatever reason that a bit of assistance could be a good thing.

It’s also worth noting that in Germany you have the “super pedelec” category that goes up to 40km/h, as these are recognised separately in law could these be the ones that the police are recording? I don’t think there is any legal distinction between a standard 100% human powered bicycle and a 250W, 25km/h limited e-bike.
Last edited by hercule on 17 Jun 2018, 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
hercule

Post by hercule »

PS I regularly reach over 65 km/h on my recumbent trike, assisted only by bananas and flapjacks...(well, gravity has a part to play too)
Last edited by hercule on 17 Jun 2018, 1:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I agree with Hercule,without proper stats and percentage use of e-bikes to bikes or whether and how that percentage is growing,not to mention whether the riders using e-bikes are new to cycling,new to e-bikes or if it's age related,the figures given are rather meaningless IMO.
Too many variables
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The article also mentioned that e-bikes are becoming more common

Local journalists are of course not experts on cycling or on statistics

Super e-bikes are less than 2% of sales as I posted recently
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The article also mentioned that e-bikes are becoming more common

You appear to be agreeing with Hercule and me :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The article also mentioned that e-bikes are becoming more common

You appear to be agreeing with Hercule and me :)

+3
willcee

Post by willcee »

I read somewhere that quite a few of these 'accidents' were at very low speed indeed either getting off the bike or getting on just starting to move.. I rate myself experienced and competent, well used to cycling any bike, I have now cycled my E bike in the last month or 6 weeks about 300 miles.. my hips are challenged, esp the left so I am careful mounting and dismounting, mine has a throttle and P.assist and a lot of torque and it needs respect.. especially at roadends junctions and similar situations where no speed is involved but the extra weight can catch you off guard, esp if its windy and you are stopped balancing on one foot..hit the pedals by accident and its off, nudge the throttle and its off.. i would guess that many of these cases are from older people, like myself in age but not experienced or cycle fit, and that they are novices to a powered machine can and does cause issues, mine had me over a couple of times on grass where my foot slipped.. again U turns are another problem, doing a tight U turn on a path or narrow road is better handled off power or on light assist, by throttle only.. no pedal input..only muscle and experience saved me from the ditch!!! will
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Reminds me of police annual reports
"More accidents, fewer deaths"
"Fewer accidents, more deaths"
:(

Are e-trikes available?
hercule

Post by hercule »

Yes, both the upright and recumbent type - plus there is the option of a DIY conversion.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Lies! Damn lies! and, statistics! :-)
Nothing exceptional here, more people using them, and, a higher percentage of older riders. A bit like motorbikes, when people with more money to spend want to 'recapture their youth' !
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity