OBREA GAIN D40 (e-bike)

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
robgul

Re: ORBEA (Not OBREA) GAIN D40 (e-bike)

Post by robgul »

Brucey wrote:am I the only one who finds it surprising that this thread has been running for over a year and the title has not been corrected?... :shock:

cheers

Perhaps it's a tribute to Graham Obree (the master of weird bikes and the hour record) that it hasn't been changed ? :D

Rob
Orbea/Obrea Gain owner
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Shieldsman

Re: OBREA GAIN D40 (e-bike)

Post by Shieldsman »

Apologies for the tardy response to the advice that was kindly given above - unexpected work popped up abroad which pushed bike purchases right down the to do list.
I’ve been back home for a week and ordered a D40 on Monday. It arrived yesterday and following a 20 mile ride to break it in last night and I love it.
I’m having an issue with downloading maps to the ebikemotion motion app though - there’s just a blank screen. Any idea what I’m doing wrong. Many thanks.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Have you registered the bike with Orbea yet?
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

Pleased to hear you've gone for the D40, I've had mine nearly a year now. By and large I'm very happy with it. Expecting my expensive range extender battery any day now.
I have given up on the Ebikemotion app for anything other than monitoring battery level at the end of a ride and adjusting the power settings. I found the bike a bit aggressive on the green button so I've turned it down to 80%.
I tried it for recording rides but it was giving me gobbledygook. And now they want to charge me for a new map. You cannot upload a course to follow so it's not much good for touring. I'm sticking to Garmin.
Unfortunately it works on Bluetooth and not ANT so it will not integrate with the new Garmin Edge Explore as some ebikes do, giving all the necessary edata. I'm still using my old 800.
I wish the Ebikemotion app just gave the basics instead of overreaching themselves with bells and whistles.

Apart from that, it's a mighty fine bicycle.
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

Finally, finally, got my Range Extender Battery. Cost: approx £2.15 per Wh.
Quite an outlay to dispel range anxiety.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Ooooo, that's pricey. Can't see them selling many!
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Full spec for the Range Extender and how it works.

https://www.orbea.com/downloads/product ... der_EN.pdf

As I read it, the Ranger Extender battery only recharges the main battery rather than being a secondary battery that can power the motor. It also say there are times it might not be able to keep up with the drain of the main battery if the bike is used on full power for extended periods. That sounds a little worrying, but given a Gain is supposed to be power assisted rather than powered, hopefully it'll all work smoothly.

BertYardbrush, we await your full report with baited breath!
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

I have been on a couple of rides with the range extender battery.
I charged the new battery and the existing battery fully before installation.
Installing the battery on the bike is fairly simple though at 1.6kg it's more of a brick than a bidon. It is secured in the holder cage by two lego style 'plugs' on the bottom and a bottle holder style cage with a rubber stretch band to stop it rattling about.It is quite secure and does not rattle. There is a electrical plug that connects to the charging point on the bike. The range extender has its own charging point, this can be used to charge it off the bike or you can use it to charge both batteries on the bike.
My initial thoughts are, forgive the pun, it is a little ungainly. Nobody will be under any illusion, it's an ebike, you can see the battery.
Before I added the extender, I had the engine set at 80% on the green setting, 90% on the amber setting and 100% on red.
I whacked up all engine settings to 100%.
The ebikemotion app told me I was 200% charged.
If you have a Gain, you will be familiar with the IWOC button on the crossbar. There is one of these on top of the battery. You need to turn both on.

Ride one, 66 miles, 5600ft https://ridewithgps.com/trips/38499937
The bike feels heavier, the weight makes a difference to the handling. I've done many miles on a heavy ebike - it's not that bad, just different weight distribution, I'll get used to it. Usually I try to spare the battery for the first few miles. This time I was a little more free, averaging 8.5mph up the first 3.8miles uphill as opposed to 6 mph previously. The range extender was empty at 29 miles 3200ft into the wind. I had 100% power left and just 37 miles 2700ft and a following wind. It was good to be able to power up the hill out of Hathersage in amber with the occasional dip into red.
I got home with around 40% of battery to spare.

Ride 2, 66 miles 6200ft https://ridewithgps.com/trips/3854678
I had charged both batteries in situ and did not check before the ride how much charge I had. The ebikemotion app is a bit unpredictable and doesn't always connect. I had a stop at Baslow,7.8miles, and checked there to find I had a mere 150% left. I changed the engine setting on eco (green) to 85%. I'm not sure when the extender battery ran out but it was quite a strenuous ride and I needed the amber button to get me home the last 11 miles. I had 37% power remaining at the end of the ride.

I put the bike back on charge, batteries in situ, and it took a good 5 hours to charge back up to 200%. I feel I have still to get the measure of the new setup. It is worth remembering the extra battery is giving more range, not more power. You won't get any more than 40 Nm torque out of this engine. Over about 10% you have to put in effort. Whereas with an 80Nm engine you really can breeze up the hills.

It has extended my range but the battery anxiety has not yet evaporated. I can be ambitious in my choice of rides and can always press the 'get me home' button. I'm not sure about having to carry a great lump of spent battery for the second half of the journey.
Is it worth it? If you have to get out there on long rides in demanding landscape probably.
About the rider: age 73, weight 142lbs, condition, not absolutely perfect.

Hope this helps.
willcee

Post by willcee »

My bike chum has at last taken delivery of his expensive additional Battery, we went up to the dealer from whom he bought his carbon Gain last Christmas.. pleasant up to date shop and pleasant guys who had given him a hefty discount on this purchase.. i was trying to get them to explain to my chum the biz of updating the 3 power levels, the chap whipped out a modern cell smart phone and in a nano second had Davys Bike hooked up alls well he says , but i still couldn't get him to understand ...that is if i have it right in my head.... that you can up the power available in any of the 3 colour ranges.. so i left it and asked about resetting it to 20 mph as per the yanks.. they didn't know or said so and started on about warranty and the motor etc etc, don't worry on that i says... Davy has a pair of new wheels from an early Gain..has tried them in the bike exact same cutoff.. oh...then Davy said about trawling Orbea web pages, in the spares section and there is a rear Gain wheel for sale at 500 odd quid marked as a 15.5 mph one. so does the wheel motor govern the speed??? as Davy Has a family member out in Canada in a few weeks time who could source and bring home a new Canada spec 20mph wheel.. personally from what i can glean its in the controller programming, but why would they mark that wheel as a uk spec 15.5.. when is someone who is back engineering all these other motors going to solve the Orbea issue..it surely cannot be that difficult.. will
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

If you do manage to up the motor assist beyond the road legal limit, you will succeed in reducing the range.
My motor cuts out around 15.8mph as read on my Garmin.
Doing regular 65 mile hilly rides with the extra battery. Works well.
willcee

Post by willcee »

I appreciate that, however neither of us has any great wish to trail 65 miles on any day in our environs worthy of that distance, what we would agree on , as would many other Gain owners, a more usable cut off of 20 as supplied In other regions of the world who imo have more handle on how to treat E cyclists..unlike the uncivil servants and politicos that inhabit the hallowed bowels of westminster and presently have proven more about how to mishandle the biggest issue they will ever encounter.. will we ever trust them on any decision ever again.??. I won't... they have shown they couldn't run water out of a tap..!! will