Cube Ebike choices....

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
AaronR

Cube Ebike choices....

Post by AaronR »

Evening all!

Facing a 60 mile round trip commute for my new job, Plan A was to drive Monday and Friday so I can take clothes etc in, and cycle the middle three days

Current bike is a Surly Cross Check set up to do a bit of everything, 1*10 gears, rack on the back, front porteur rack, Marathon Mondial tyres, guards (in winter) - did a route recce today, first time I've ridden for months, and hot/sunny, which has left me to consider

Plan B - drive three days, ride two

Plan C - an E-bike......

I took a Cube Acid 500 for a test ride this morning, and to be honest the only thing I didn't like was the front suspension (never liked it before) and the resistance from the knobbly tyres once electric assist cut off

The Cube Hybrid One 500 saves a bit on weight, but between the two there is very little to choose that makes one stand out.. I can swap out the tyres on both for more road orientated tread pattern

Price range of about £1800 is in range of budget, with 0% finance meaning what would be a £200+pcm daily commute by car is about £40 for finance and some home maintenance (can charge for free at work)

Are there any other bikes I should consider? I do have a fairly standard 26" wheeled MTB as my office bike (quicker than walking around site), so are there any conversion kits out there worth considering?

And the 64 million dollar question, range? of the 30 mile trip there is a 1115ft climb and 968ft descent on the way to work, which is reversed on the way home, with approx 5 miles of flat where I would out pedal electric assist - would ideally like to leave charger at work and just charge up there (guessing Bosch chargers aren't cheap, or light to carry), so would I realistically expect a +/- 60 mile range?

A lot of questions I know, but might help me make the right bike choice!

NUKe

Re: Cube Ebike choices....

Post by NUKe »

The current Bosch motors with a good battery is good for around 70 miles dependent on terrain and weight carried, providing you use ecomode. Others to consider are Haibike and Giant but they all use the same motors. The variation in cost, is down to the other equipment.
NUKe

Re: Cube Ebike choices....

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have a Cube reaction SL ebike and use tour or emtb mode most of the time due to age and health issues.
I regularly ride 50 miles, and think it quite likely in eco mode if you are able to use it you should be able to ride 60 Miles.
BTW when I was looking to buy my bike I originally most definitely didn’t want front suspension but as the bike I liked had it I thought I would ride it with the suspension locked out most of the time. I was wrong, the suspension is great and I use it all the time.
If you do buy one ditch the knobbly tyres for Marathons if you plan on riding on the road most of the time.
Beauty will save the world.