Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
reohn2

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Post by reohn2 »

Some people just don't get it and others like to extract the piddle.
I often wonder which one the OP is :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hemo

Post by hemo »

Ebike tax what about horse tax then as well.

Like all ev vehicles bikes/ebieks are zero VED rated due to not causing pollution on the road.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

I've a new idea for a Tax. Pie in the Sky Tax.

It starts with a relatively small levy, you know for idiots that post crackpot ideas on forums. It then jumps up to meaningful sum for people that start what are ultimately doomed causes. E-petitions and the like based on emotions, one off circumstances or personal gripes fall into this group.

Thirdly, the press, social media, charities etc. If you have influence as these organisation do, then the tax burden for promoting whatever they have an agenda for is going to cost them dearly.

Last, and this is the best bit. Manifesto Tax. If a political party publishes crackpot, impractical, promise the earth or otherwise other Pie in the Sky ideas the cost to the guilty party is going to be substantial.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NickWi wrote:I've a new idea for a Tax. Pie in the Sky Tax.

It starts with a relatively small levy, you know for idiots that post crackpot ideas on forums. It then jumps up to meaningful sum for people that start what are ultimately doomed causes. E-petitions and the like based on emotions, one off circumstances or personal gripes fall into this group.

Thirdly, the press, social media, charities etc. If you have influence as these organisation do, then the tax burden for promoting whatever they have an agenda for is going to cost them dearly.

Last, and this is the best bit. Manifesto Tax. If a political party publishes crackpot, impractical, promise the earth or otherwise other Pie in the Sky ideas the cost to the guilty party is going to be substantial.

At last a consensus is emerging
I like a lot of your ideas :wink:
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

A vehicle duty for electric assist cycles wouldn't be a bad idea! :shock: ... as long as it was less than charged for electric cars & motorbike (i.e. a negative amount :D ). You could also argue for an even lower rate for non-assisted cycles (more negative).

A bit like current proposals in the Netherlands to pay people to commute by bike. (article in The Independent) I believe other countries are also considering this, or even already doing it.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

RickH wrote:A vehicle duty for electric assist cycles wouldn't be a bad idea! :shock: ... as long as it was less than charged for electric cars & motorbike (i.e. a negative amount :D ). You could also argue for an even lower rate for non-assisted cycles (more negative).

A bit like current proposals in the Netherlands to pay people to commute by bike. (article in The Independent) I believe other countries are also considering this, or even already doing it.

Something the OP has avoided
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:Some people just don't get it and others like to extract the piddle.

Both Nero and Vespasian taxed urine in ancient rome
Many years ago, Urine was considered a lot more useful for everything from tanning leather and other causes. Allegedly upper class urine was better quality, so public urinals were set up to collect this valuable commodity. When it was collected, the collectors paid a tax ...... so "extracting the piddle" was in fact taxed
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Some people just don't get it and others like to extract the piddle.

Both Nero and Vespasian taxed urine in ancient rome
Many years ago, Urine was considered a lot more useful for everything from tanning leather and other causes. Allegedly upper class urine was better quality, so public urinals were set up to collect this valuable commodity. When it was collected, the collectors paid a tax ...... so "extracting the piddle" was in fact taxed

That explains why it's termed as "spending a penny"
W H Auden
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

That explains why it's termed as "spending a penny"

I wonder if Bob Holness knew that....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:That explains why it's termed as "spending a penny"

Sorry I'm not tall enough for that one :?
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:That explains why it's termed as "spending a penny"

Totally off topic useless information....

Bob Holness was an early "James Bond" when he portrayed the part in a radio version of the book Moonraker, the year after its publication. He was the second person to portray the part in a broadcast

To quote a contemporary review"

"Listeners across the Union thrilled to Bob's cultured tones as he defeated evil master criminals in search of world domination"
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

reohn2 wrote:
rjb wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I propose a 500.... .....no let's make 5000% tax levy on beans on toast for anyone arriving at a cafe on a ordinary bike,that should cost more than a penny farting.

Should reduce unemployment having to employ all those bean counters.

And think of the abacus sales :)

Beans on toast . . . as you say, it certainly gives you food for FARTing!!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

cotterpins wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
rjb wrote:
Should reduce unemployment having to employ all those bean counters.

And think of the abacus sales :)

Beans on toast . . . as you say, it certainly gives you food for FARTing!!

Now there is an idea for the OP..... BED Bowel Emission Duty

But again it begs the same question as why limit to particular group as all road users and non road users will have flatulence at some point

Of course the issue is that lack of exercise does lead to buildup of gas in the bowel and hence higher emission, and more "aroma". so a higher rate for sedentary vehicle drivers (and occupants?)

Exercise ironically also exacerbates the issue as gulping in air introduces more air into the alimentary system and this has to be emitted eventually, however tends to be less aromatic.

The highest level of BED however should be reserved for newly converted vegetarians on a high fibre diet..........

hemo wrote:Ebike tax what about horse tax then as well.

Like all ev vehicles bikes/ebieks are zero VED rated due to not causing pollution on the road.

Horse have flatulence as well so yes we could include them, along with other livestock, domestic pets as well

Pet fish are more complex as not all spieces have bowel emissions, they inflate and deflate the swim bladder orally so this is not technically a bowel emission. Also some pieces do emit gas from the bowel, but , but again these are due to swim bladder inflation rather than a true bowel emission

... We may have to leave fish out of the system until we have performed further research
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

Taxes have never controlled behaviour,and people have no option but to pay the tax.
Last edited by Graham on 29 Jul 2018, 8:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotation incompetence
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Surely there is a mistake.
The post title ?
Should it read ..
Road Tax for Motorbikes.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.