Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
reohn2
Posts: 35287
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby reohn2 » 8 Jul 2018, 10:42am

Some people just don't get it and others like to extract the piddle.
I often wonder which one the OP is :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

hemo
Posts: 400
Joined: 16 Nov 2017, 5:40pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby hemo » 8 Jul 2018, 11:16am

Ebike tax what about horse tax then as well.

Like all ev vehicles bikes/ebieks are zero VED rated due to not causing pollution on the road.

NickWi
Posts: 78
Joined: 28 Apr 2011, 8:14pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby NickWi » 8 Jul 2018, 4:41pm

I've a new idea for a Tax. Pie in the Sky Tax.

It starts with a relatively small levy, you know for idiots that post crackpot ideas on forums. It then jumps up to meaningful sum for people that start what are ultimately doomed causes. E-petitions and the like based on emotions, one off circumstances or personal gripes fall into this group.

Thirdly, the press, social media, charities etc. If you have influence as these organisation do, then the tax burden for promoting whatever they have an agenda for is going to cost them dearly.

Last, and this is the best bit. Manifesto Tax. If a political party publishes crackpot, impractical, promise the earth or otherwise other Pie in the Sky ideas the cost to the guilty party is going to be substantial.

reohn2
Posts: 35287
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby reohn2 » 8 Jul 2018, 5:17pm

NickWi wrote:I've a new idea for a Tax. Pie in the Sky Tax.

It starts with a relatively small levy, you know for idiots that post crackpot ideas on forums. It then jumps up to meaningful sum for people that start what are ultimately doomed causes. E-petitions and the like based on emotions, one off circumstances or personal gripes fall into this group.

Thirdly, the press, social media, charities etc. If you have influence as these organisation do, then the tax burden for promoting whatever they have an agenda for is going to cost them dearly.

Last, and this is the best bit. Manifesto Tax. If a political party publishes crackpot, impractical, promise the earth or otherwise other Pie in the Sky ideas the cost to the guilty party is going to be substantial.

At last a consensus is emerging
I like a lot of your ideas :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4434
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby RickH » 8 Jul 2018, 6:09pm

A vehicle duty for electric assist cycles wouldn't be a bad idea! :shock: ... as long as it was less than charged for electric cars & motorbike (i.e. a negative amount :D ). You could also argue for an even lower rate for non-assisted cycles (more negative).

A bit like current proposals in the Netherlands to pay people to commute by bike. (article in The Independent) I believe other countries are also considering this, or even already doing it.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9309
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby Cunobelin » 8 Jul 2018, 6:35pm

RickH wrote:A vehicle duty for electric assist cycles wouldn't be a bad idea! :shock: ... as long as it was less than charged for electric cars & motorbike (i.e. a negative amount :D ). You could also argue for an even lower rate for non-assisted cycles (more negative).

A bit like current proposals in the Netherlands to pay people to commute by bike. (article in The Independent) I believe other countries are also considering this, or even already doing it.



Something the OP has avoided

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9309
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby Cunobelin » 9 Jul 2018, 4:05pm

reohn2 wrote:Some people just don't get it and others like to extract the piddle.
I often wonder which one the OP is :?


Both Nero and Vespasian taxed urine in ancient rome
Many years ago, Urine was considered a lot more useful for everything from tanning leather and other causes. Allegedly upper class urine was better quality, so public urinals were set up to collect this valuable commodity. When it was collected, the collectors paid a tax ...... so "extracting the piddle" was in fact taxed

reohn2
Posts: 35287
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby reohn2 » 9 Jul 2018, 4:25pm

Cunobelin wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Some people just don't get it and others like to extract the piddle.
I often wonder which one the OP is :?


Both Nero and Vespasian taxed urine in ancient rome
Many years ago, Urine was considered a lot more useful for everything from tanning leather and other causes. Allegedly upper class urine was better quality, so public urinals were set up to collect this valuable commodity. When it was collected, the collectors paid a tax ...... so "extracting the piddle" was in fact taxed

That explains why it's termed as "spending a penny"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

fullupandslowingdown
Posts: 118
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 5:47pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 23 Jul 2018, 10:40pm

That explains why it's termed as "spending a penny"

I wonder if Bob Holness knew that....

reohn2
Posts: 35287
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby reohn2 » 23 Jul 2018, 10:50pm

fullupandslowingdown wrote:That explains why it's termed as "spending a penny"

I wonder if Bob Holness knew that....


Sorry I'm not tall enough for that one :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9309
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby Cunobelin » 24 Jul 2018, 10:12am

fullupandslowingdown wrote:That explains why it's termed as "spending a penny"

I wonder if Bob Holness knew that....


Totally off topic useless information....

Bob Holness was an early "James Bond" when he portrayed the part in a radio version of the book Moonraker, the year after its publication. He was the second person to portray the part in a broadcast


To quote a contemporary review"

"Listeners across the Union thrilled to Bob's cultured tones as he defeated evil master criminals in search of world domination"

cotterpins
Posts: 158
Joined: 6 Apr 2016, 9:38pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby cotterpins » 24 Jul 2018, 6:32pm

reohn2 wrote:
rjb wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I propose a 500.... .....no let's make 5000% tax levy on beans on toast for anyone arriving at a cafe on a ordinary bike,that should cost more than a penny farting.


Should reduce unemployment having to employ all those bean counters.

And think of the abacus sales :)


Beans on toast . . . as you say, it certainly gives you food for FARTing!!

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9309
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby Cunobelin » 26 Jul 2018, 6:53am

cotterpins wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
rjb wrote:
Should reduce unemployment having to employ all those bean counters.

And think of the abacus sales :)


Beans on toast . . . as you say, it certainly gives you food for FARTing!!



Now there is an idea for the OP..... BED Bowel Emission Duty

But again it begs the same question as why limit to particular group as all road users and non road users will have flatulence at some point

Of course the issue is that lack of exercise does lead to buildup of gas in the bowel and hence higher emission, and more "aroma". so a higher rate for sedentary vehicle drivers (and occupants?)

Exercise ironically also exacerbates the issue as gulping in air introduces more air into the alimentary system and this has to be emitted eventually, however tends to be less aromatic.


The highest level of BED however should be reserved for newly converted vegetarians on a high fibre diet..........

hemo wrote:Ebike tax what about horse tax then as well.

Like all ev vehicles bikes/ebieks are zero VED rated due to not causing pollution on the road.


Horse have flatulence as well so yes we could include them, along with other livestock, domestic pets as well

Pet fish are more complex as not all spieces have bowel emissions, they inflate and deflate the swim bladder orally so this is not technically a bowel emission. Also some pieces do emit gas from the bowel, but , but again these are due to swim bladder inflation rather than a true bowel emission


... We may have to leave fish out of the system until we have performed further research

gnvqsos
Posts: 221
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 7:17pm

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby gnvqsos » 26 Jul 2018, 9:31pm

Taxes have never controlled behaviour,and people have no option but to pay the tax.
Last edited by Graham on 29 Jul 2018, 8:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotation incompetence

landsurfer
Posts: 4757
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Road Tax for Electric Bikes ?

Postby landsurfer » 26 Jul 2018, 10:22pm

Surely there is a mistake.
The post title ?
Should it read ..
Road Tax for Motorbikes.
It's not about the bike .. It's about the journey .....
The Road Goes On Forever ........................