Front Hub Motor Not Working

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
hemo

Re: Front Hub Motor Not Working

Post by hemo »

A good job well done and a pleasing result Col :)

Unusual for motor cable not to have enough extra slack to form a drip loop in its entirety, periodically you could use a thick grease (non petroleum based) as a measure to help seal the axle.
Col18

Post by Col18 »

Hi Hemo

So...I cycled to work today.
The first 3 miles ok...2 hills, went up with out problems... but then there was no strong assistance.
I can hear the motor spinning.

Yesterday when I did a test run...it run fine. I stopped once to check and it was hard to turn the front wheel by hand. But when I pedaled off, the motor kicked in.

So now the motor does not spin the wheel. Is it the the 'clutch' component with the 3 white nylon gears that has failed?

I remember the first first, I unscrewed the fixings, turned the cover (trying to remove this) and it somehow fixed it.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The clutch mech inside can stick and is usually activated by 3 pins/springs found on the opposite side
/face to the nylon gears. It could be that they may be oxidised as well and the springs if weak may need replacing.

Link to pic.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... tedIndex=0
Col18

Post by Col18 »

Hi Hemo

I hadn't checked the forum for long time.
I've been cycling with my legs recently :D

I was in China last month on a family holiday, hoping to get a new clutch, but did not get a chance.
In the end, after I came back, i bought 2 clutches for Green Bike Kit (from China!)

Thanks for the reply, I can sort of understand how the clutch mechanism works.
I'm not sure if the old one can be repaired, plus the amount of crud still between the nylon gears the the metal body, probably not 100%

I did try it one more time, i used a mallet and banged the clutch (saw on youtube), initally worked but halfway through a run it just spun inside.

Fitted the new clutch and runs much smoother. Average speed was good with little effect, where as before I seem to have to put more effect to get the same speed.

Hopefully, the new clutch last much longer with regular maintenance.
Thanks for you help & info once again.