bike feedback wanted.

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
richardhb

bike feedback wanted.

Post by richardhb »

Hello.

I'm looking at the basic GTECH white bike at £995. Is this a well made bike, with good components please? I'm 66 so will not be going crazy, just getting a bit fitter.

Thanks all.

Richard.
stodd

Re: bike feedback wanted.

Post by stodd »

It looks as if it has a fairly small battery: even their technical specs does not give any details on either battery capacity or motor.
'Up to' 30 miles will be a lot less if you have significant hills, and that is in eco mode; it will be much less in higher power mode.
Only two power modes is a bit limiting as well; most have 3 or 5.
Also, 'no confusing gears' will be good for very basic use but might not suit if you want to do a little more.
Those do help keep the weight down, though.

Look at Woosh as well (http://wooshbikes.co.uk/); they are much more up front about what they are selling.
For example the Karoo at £899 with smallest battery still probably has a much bigger battery than the Gtech, and only 2kg heavier.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What sort of cycling do you want to do? What are your reasons for an electric bike? That particular bike?

If you just want to get a bit fitter, would you be better off spending the money on a non electric bike? Save yourself a bit and burn a few more calories? I'm not criticising the choice, just trying to understand.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
richardhb

Post by richardhb »

Vopal. Maybe you didn't see I'm 66 not 26, big difference.

Stodd. Thats I nice looking bike, are the parts all well made would you think?

Thank you.

Rich.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

richardhb wrote:Vopal. Maybe you didn't see I'm 66 not 26, big difference.

I wasn't trying to insult you or anything. I think you may understimate your capabilities. I know a number of people in their 80s who cycle on non electric bikes. There's nothing wrong with buying an electric bike, if that's what you want, and I wasn't suggesting that there was. Only that it may not be necessary.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I have a GTech Sport. The range I get is around 20 miles for my usage which is mostly flattish roads with a few sharp hills. On one recent outing with it I failed to get up a short but very steep hill. Not sure why yet but since there was a longish build up to a sharp corner my speed had fallen too much and anything less than about 7 mph I get no assist. I find speed has to be kept up to about 10 or 11 mph to get assistance on steepish hills. I have not been back yet but I will have another go at that hill sometime. This is not where I live so hence the delay in this. I do live in an area where there is a steep hill with a sharp corner and also one bit with a T junction where I have to stop and then start uphill from stopped This is not possible so have to walk about 20 yards to a bit where I can get up speed for the next hill. This may read a bit confusing but I cycle often in two distinctly different areas.
For someone with a commute on a known route this bike would be ok bearing in mind that in my trials of it I have used full power mode and you could get a better range using less battery. I often also have pretty fierce headwinds to counter.
I should add that I mostly use a normal bike but I inherited this one as I do not think I would have got it otherwise.
If you find my account too confusing come back and I will try to clarify.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Thats I nice looking bike, are the parts all well made would you think?

I think almost certainly. Clearly not top of the range at that price, but things such as the Avid brakes and Acera derailleur are reasonable. You've certainly got more information from Woosh there than from Gtech, and I know that if you email them they will respond quickly with any extra technical queries you have about specs and suitability for your need. Or if you ask a query on the Pedalec forum Woosh will respond there.

I only got a kit from them so can't speak directly on the quiality of their bikes, but can positively report on their service.

I think if you want to get a bit fitter you will want to do a little more than the Gtech is really suitable for, and will probably appreciate having gears after a bit even if you can't be bothered with them on your first few rides. Good luck whatever you choose.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The GTECH is a fixie with 2 power modes even good ebikes need 4 or 5 differing gear ratios for climbing with 3 or ideally 5 power modes. Gtech is ok if hills are moderate with not many sharp bends the ads make it look so easy riding on windless sunny days.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The GTech is single speed not a fixie as it freewheels normally. It is easy to propel without motor on the flat but I am still playing with it. Using the motor I should also add that I do not spare the horses and keep up usually in excess of 14 mph when power assist peters out. There is a distinct learning curve about the best way to make assist kick in when wanted most. The OP seemed to think he was old at 66. He has quite a few years advantage on me but just needs to build up fitness. I find this bike is good for just pottering around or nipping to the shops. I would not like to condemn with faint praise. It may suit the OP admirably but we do not know his requirements other than to get fitter. The only way to find what suits is to hire or borrow one for a day or so.
bristolroversfc

Post by bristolroversfc »

Hi Richard.
Im almost 60 and awaiting left knee replacement and I Bought a Pulse ZL2 3 months ago from Cycle Republic for £699(Halfords identical bike is £900)
I commute about 3 miles each way to work with one small incline and im getting approx.20-24 miles to each charge.
Its the "Step Through" model and has 7 gears with 3 levels of assistance.(I usually only use the first 2 levels)
Built in front and rear lights,rear pannier rack,full mudguards,a very comfortable seat(for our old bones) :D
Ive done about 300 miles on it so far and it had its free 6 weekly check.
Ive had no problems with it so maybe this may be another choice for you.
ChilledOut

Post by ChilledOut »

If you live in Worcestershire I suggest you go to the factory. They are very helpful and there’s no high pressure selling.... more importantly... they have a large test track with slopes and hills to try the different models.
I think they still do the 30 day approval so you can return it if it’s not suitable.
I tried one at the factory but at 67 years old, 18.5 stone and was due a total knee replacement it wasn’t for me as we live in a hilly area.
I really enjoyed the ride and if I was going to use it in a less hilly area I would have bought one.