Best value Electric Mountain bike ?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Scotsman

Best value Electric Mountain bike ?

Post by Scotsman »

I am looking for an electric bike that will be good for off roading. Nothing extreme. Basically I will be clipping it to back my camper van.
I will use the bike for going fishing. Basically cycling up small paths on hills, and along farm tracks and un tarred roads.
No mad sport off roading.
Something easy maneuver and get me up down hills.
Would like to keep it under #1000.
Iv been put off buying second hand, due to possibility to get lumber with a not so good battery.
ambodach

Re: Best value Electric Mountain bike ?

Post by ambodach »

Under £1000 you may struggle to find something. Much depends on the terrain and what hills are involved. I use my GTech Sport on forestry tracks tho’ the standard tyres are not ideal for muddy conditions. I have quite a bit of off road experience but the motor sometimes gives me a shove when I do not want it on a stoney uphill slope and I turn off the motor going downhill just for safety of more control.
Try before you buy if at all possible. My battery gives me about 20 to 30 miles depending on conditions.
stodd

Post by stodd »

As other post, you will be quite limited by sub £1000.
Try https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/electri ... tain-bike/ and sort by price.
The Greenedge or Byocycle Ibex may be ok ... I've no experience of either.

You need to think what distance you might want. Quoted figures are usually pretty optimistic for flat road with low assist levels.
Also important to consider whether you mean get me up hills (unusual on cheap bike), or help me get up hills (what to expect).

If you go up a bit in price you'll get a lot better (bigger battery, more power, much better components such as hydraulic disk brakes) with something like https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rio-ls and good customer service too.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Woosh Big Bear LS HDB: and the Rio MTB.

It says the Big bear is good for overweight folk. Me.

Both these bikes look like they would fit the part.

Is buying second hand a good option ???
hondated

Post by hondated »

Scotsman wrote:I am looking for an electric bike that will be good for off roading. Nothing extreme. Basically I will be clipping it to back my camper van.
I will use the bike for going fishing. Basically cycling up small paths on hills, and along farm tracks and un tarred roads.
No mad sport off roading.
Something easy maneuver and get me up down hills.
Would like to keep it under #1000.
Iv been put off buying second hand, due to possibility to get lumber with a not so good battery.

Good question as I too would like advice on this. Some of the bikes I have been looking at are £2k - £4k. Hopefully in time they will come down in price.