Opinions on this motor drive on tyre itself

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
stodd

Re: Opinions on this motor drive on tyre itself

Post by stodd »

Possibly not at hill climbing speed.
Unless the very fit user is able to provide 750w up the hills to keep the speed up and the motor working at its best? But maybe then she wouldn't want the motor anyway.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The Revo's friction drive can be engaged at will as the system uses a sensor to do this, 1/4 back pedal to engage and dis-engage unit.
So ideal if you only need the extra power on inclines, range is small (largest capacity is 208wh using 10a rated Panasonic PF cells) but a sensible rider could manage 80/100 miles or more for slight weight increase of 5lbs. Tyre wear is possible to manage better if not permanently engaged.

According to the developers the motors is totally and probably the only real legal one out there ? They say it is programmed for 250w through out the whole rpm range. The controller is 14a max rated x 24v = 336w output allowing for motor inefficacy, the possible that the max measured output is 250w if efficacy loss was 25%. Most hub and mid drive motors have an efficacy loss of 20 - 25%.

Deliveries are being made now (albeit behind schedule) originally they planned on shipping 15 units out to backers this year but only 5 will be sent by year end, the next batch by mid Jan.
Last edited by hemo on 20 Dec 2018, 11:54am, edited 1 time in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is a reason that bike drive trains are chains and sprockets.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hemo

Post by hemo »

stodd wrote:
Possibly not at hill climbing speed.
Unless the very fit user is able to provide 750w up the hills to keep the speed up and the motor working at its best? But maybe then she wouldn't want the motor anyway.

A couple of promo videos show a rider climbing inclines in Bristol effortlessly ( one said to be 10%) including a wet ride, though agree rider probably needs to be able to have good input. Without riding th system it would be harsh to judge it as it appears the team have spent some time desingning, developing and testing it to bring it to the market.
hemo

Post by hemo »

I went with it and bought one along with another battery both 208wh, fitted to my Arkose.
Kit is 100% legal no lcd or switch's to adjust power, no handle bar clutter and little in the way of wiring.
Cut off power is 15.6mph according to my Cateye and in benign conditions I was ok up to 20mph unassisted.

The Revos had power to get me up the steep inclines both ways on Balcombe lane and managed to get me up the short/steep Cob Lane climb at West Hoathly. Though my speed was slow light assist was evident on the climbs, I did try without power but this was a not starter for me as I would be walking up.

With both batteries I rode a 49.5m route from Worth to East Sx/Kent borders of Groombridge/Marks beech taking in about 1150m of ascent.

Chelwood, The Vachery
DSCF0980.JPG

Ardingly reservoir from Balcombe lane.
DSCF0976.JPG