Cube Acid One 500 three weeks into 60 mile a day commute

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
AaronR

Cube Acid One 500 three weeks into 60 mile a day commute

Post by AaronR »

3 weeks into my commuting by ebike, and to be honest its all good!

Cold weather coming in over the last week appears to have taken .5mph off my average speed, but as that reduces it to approx 15.5mph over my whole journey I'm not going to lose sleep over it, I'm only recording rides to monitor bike/battery/motor performance

Going to work;

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3051134442

The harder of the two journeys, with some long climbs

And coming back..

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3051134467

Slight detour on this one as I'm looking to cut out the last/first long straight along the A338 as its the only traffic dense part of the whole ride

Going to work uses an indicated 2/5ths of the battery if I leave it on highest level of assist, but know that this can't be wholly accurate as going home will drain battery, but as I charge it at work and then when I get home this isn't an issue

Interestingly if I use lower levels of assist it uses the same battery consumption, I just have to work harder! Normal pedalling cadence and effort just seems to 'work' better with highest level of assistance
PH

Re: Cube Acid One 500 three weeks into 60 mile a day commute

Post by PH »

All sounds good, that's some commute, even with a manageable level of effort it's still a lot of time. Hope it continues to go well.
BTW the garmin links don't work - maybe you need to be logged in?
kwackers

Re: Cube Acid One 500 three weeks into 60 mile a day commute

Post by kwackers »

AaronR wrote:Interestingly if I use lower levels of assist it uses the same battery consumption, I just have to work harder! Normal pedalling cadence and effort just seems to 'work' better with highest level of assistance

I found the lower levels of assist do very little - I don't change my effort, I just get slower and so the battery use is less but for longer.

Conditions (i.e. headwind) have easily the biggest effect on battery from there being over half remaining with it behind me to it flashing empty if it's a gale force head wind.

My commute is only 42 miles though so I'm a lightweight - although I have been doing it for about a year now.