Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
AJ101
Posts: 83
Joined: 30 Oct 2015, 3:45pm

Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby AJ101 » 12 Dec 2018, 3:22pm

Anyone gone down the route of aftermarket e-bike kits? Got to do a commute in January that would be easily do-able it normal clothes if it wasn't for a couple of huge hills in between. Not wanting to go the dedicated cycle clothing / shower / changing rooms kerfuffle, so I'm looking at affordable e-bike kits as an option.

Its a toss up between the Swytch Bike kit which I can get for £360 on pre-order or trying to put something together from e-bay.

Bit worried about the eBay route in terms of battery reliability so the idea of a UK backed kit is appealing. Especially for the money.

Did anyone get a Swytch when they were on the kickstarter thing? How has it been? Was it easy to fit?

User avatar
philg
Posts: 423
Joined: 7 May 2009, 12:13pm
Location: Porlock, Somerset

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby philg » 12 Dec 2018, 4:28pm

Ordered my 50mile 700c kit from Swytch for £375 in May with the delivery quoted for September.
Latest update is early February but I'm not holding my breath!
Despite the delay I'm optimistic about it being pretty good, though not convinced that the RRP is realistic.
Watch this space!

Canuk
Posts: 1105
Joined: 4 Oct 2016, 11:43pm

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby Canuk » 12 Dec 2018, 5:22pm

If you're buying the kit from eBay, even if it's from China or Hong Kong you'll get it in 3-4 weeks or your money back, via PayPal guarantee. Batteries are now so universally reliant on the Panasonic 18650 cells (lots attached in series) that everyone uses them from Tesla to the humblest Chinese supplier. They are pretty much identical. No worries there.

I am thinking of taking a punt on the ebay kit myself, I just need a gap in the DIY in this house and I'm away!

thelawnet
Posts: 2156
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby thelawnet » 12 Dec 2018, 8:41pm

There are lots of different 18650 cells and it's literally dangerous to assume they will all be nice ones. Probably safe in this case.

I'm not.keen just because it lacks presumably torque sensor

User avatar
The utility cyclist
Posts: 2358
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm
Location: The first garden city

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby The utility cyclist » 13 Dec 2018, 12:52am

thelawnet wrote:There are lots of different 18650 cells and it's literally dangerous to assume they will all be nice ones. Probably safe in this case.

I'm not.keen just because it lacks presumably torque sensor

Loads of old ex laptop 18650s are still coming up on the market from china, one of the biggest scams going and totally unregulated/policed! :x

Canuk
Posts: 1105
Joined: 4 Oct 2016, 11:43pm

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby Canuk » 13 Dec 2018, 8:13am

The utility cyclist wrote:
thelawnet wrote:There are lots of different 18650 cells and it's literally dangerous to assume they will all be nice ones. Probably safe in this case.

I'm not.keen just because it lacks presumably torque sensor

Loads of old ex laptop 18650s are still coming up on the market from china, one of the biggest scams going and totally unregulated/policed! :x


If you buy Panasonic cells from reputable sellers you won't go far wrong.

Most of which is moot because the brand new 30% more capacity Panasonic 2170 cells are just about to be released (Tesla was first to get their hands on them).

Benefits :

A 3kw 12 cell pack can be charged 100% in 12 minutes

Can be shipped with no charge (0V) on them

30% more energy density for roughly same size

Will still retain 80% of charge capacity after 1500 cycles

Same (or lower) price as 18650's

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46070
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby Mick F » 13 Dec 2018, 8:27am

How do these things work?
How does the system in the front wheel know you are pedalling and not just freewheeling?
Can you not just sit there and let the motor do the work?
Mick F. Cornwall

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1635
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby Oldjohnw » 13 Dec 2018, 9:09am

I don't know the technicalities but on my bike there is a sensor disc on the crank a mm or so from the pedals. If the motor did all the work the battery would barely last 10 mikes.
John

Cycling and recycling

User avatar
Tinnishill
Posts: 140
Joined: 15 Sep 2013, 9:58am

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby Tinnishill » 13 Dec 2018, 9:22am

You will find technical and legal e bike info on here

https://www.atob.org.uk/electric-bicycle-zone/
Agitate, educate, organise.

pete75
Posts: 11642
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby pete75 » 13 Dec 2018, 9:26am

I bought one of these kits. Came within 10 days weeks and no duty or vat charged if you choose the ships from Germany option. Bought a 17ah samsung cell battery from a German supplier on Ebay complete with charger and bike mounts for a couple of hundred .

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/36v-250 ... bb84e360c4

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46070
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby Mick F » 13 Dec 2018, 9:51am

Oldjohnw wrote:I don't know the technicalities but on my bike there is a sensor disc on the crank a mm or so from the pedals. If the motor did all the work the battery would barely last 10 mikes.
Thanks.

What happens if you pedal backwards or pedal very slowly? Does the sensor pick up that you are pedalling and therefore give assistance ......... but going forward for no effort from you?

I ask these questions because I was riding along Embankment Road Plymouth the other day on the shared use cycle/pedestrian footpath, and a lady shot past me ringing her bell as she passed. I put a bit of a spurt on and followed her for a few hundred yards - but she was still gaining on me. I noticed easily as it was very evident indeed, that she was hardly pedalling at all, just turning the cranks very slowly. Her speed remained constant and I couldn't keep up with her.

The road is basically level alongside the river, but there was quite a brisk headwind. Looking at my records for the ride, I was doing 14mph. She could have been doing 18 or more.
Mick F. Cornwall

pete75
Posts: 11642
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby pete75 » 13 Dec 2018, 9:53am

Mick F wrote:How do these things work?
How does the system in the front wheel know you are pedalling and not just freewheeling?
Can you not just sit there and let the motor do the work?


This senses pedalling. A lot os systems these days are torque sensing and vary the amount of power assistance with the effort being put into pedalling. Well at least that's how I think it works.
Image

Canuk
Posts: 1105
Joined: 4 Oct 2016, 11:43pm

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby Canuk » 13 Dec 2018, 10:16am

I too have been #surprised when overtaken by a middle aged woman cycling uphill at what must have been 17-20mph. I thought I was doing well at 14...
.
Having tried a few electric bikes it is possible to ride along at 20mph without much effort. But you won't get far on it maybe 5-8km before it goes phutt...

I am looking forward to these new Panasonic 2170 battery packs though (they're selling heavily into the aerospace industry). Promising two to three times the range for a similar or perhaps cheaper price. Its the range option which has put me off assist bikes so far. With 2170's you should be able to get 100-150km out of a charge, such is more realistic for me around these parts.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1635
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby Oldjohnw » 13 Dec 2018, 11:14am

I don't know about back pedalling but otherwise, the harder you pedal the more support you get. There are usually several levels of assist - 5 on my bike. The trick is to use gears and assist level to maintain momentum and maintain battery. Power alone would barely get you 10 miles. Freewheel and power switches off, unless you use the override.
John

Cycling and recycling

thelawnet
Posts: 2156
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: Add-on e-bike conversion kit - Swytch or eBay kit?

Postby thelawnet » 13 Dec 2018, 11:20am

Canuk wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:
thelawnet wrote:There are lots of different 18650 cells and it's literally dangerous to assume they will all be nice ones. Probably safe in this case.

I'm not.keen just because it lacks presumably torque sensor

Loads of old ex laptop 18650s are still coming up on the market from china, one of the biggest scams going and totally unregulated/policed! :x


If you buy Panasonic cells from reputable sellers you won't go far wrong.

Most of which is moot because the brand new 30% more capacity Panasonic 2170 cells are just about to be released (Tesla was first to get their hands on them).


They are called 21700 rather than 2170.

And they are available.

Short version is:

21700: 69g for 5Ah http://budgetlightforum.com/node/62761
18650: 49g for 3.5Ah https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/ba ... r18650-35e

This works out at 1.38kg for 100Ah for the 21700s, and 1.4kg for the 18650.

Nothing compelling there.

And shouldn't come as a surprise given that they are the same chemistry.