New ebiker need an advice

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Mark

New ebiker need an advice

Post by Mark »

Hi,
Recently I started working as a bike courier and to make my life easier I want to convert my bike into electric one.

Can you help me to find a good conversion kit and battery?

My bike: https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-shizuok ... e-EV198508

I want to get a kit which allows me to ride legally with as good mobility as it possible. There some hills in my area and it is windy quite often. I need a good size battery to carry on working all day.

I would be very glad if you could spend a little of your time and help me.
Cheers
iandusud

Re: New ebiker need an advice

Post by iandusud »

The most straightforward solution would probably be a hub kit like the ones sold by Woosh.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits

I would suggest you get in touch with them to discuss your needs. I've been in dialogue with them about a kit for my cargo bike and they have been very helpful.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

This is where I bought mine, fitted at LBS:

http://www.electric-bike-conversions.co.uk/
John
Mark

Post by Mark »

thanks guys! I will check them out definitely.

Is there any way to pass 15 mph limit with legal 250W motor?
I read about dual power motors but found out they are not on a road even when they are working on 250w power.
I think only about solutions which are hard or impossible to detect during police control.

What about sets from ebay or amazon? They seem very affordable.
hemo

Post by hemo »

For hilly areas better with a mid drive motor, Bafang BBS, TSDZ or GSM.

BBS & GSM use pedal sensoring & TSDZ uses a torque drive system, GSM is also available without an integral controller so you can fit a remote one for better reliability.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Mark wrote:thanks guys! I will check them out definitely.

Is there any way to pass 15 mph limit with legal 250W motor?
I read about dual power motors but found out they are not on a road even when they are working on 250w power.
I think only about solutions which are hard or impossible to detect during police control.

What about sets from ebay or amazon? They seem very affordable.

Cheap ebay/amazon kits that use the large black Direct Drive hub are no good for hilly areas, they are ideal for flat fast ridng but can't compete with geared hubs on hills. If you go for a hub kit you need one with 5 levels of assist and an lcd display which gives you more control on the power, some of the cheap geared hub kits are cheap for a reason usually weak/gutless hubs not ideal for hilly terrain. Any 250w motor can go faster then 25km/h it then becomes illegal. If you have an accident then there may be consequences.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Easy to pass 15mph. Just you will no longer have support.
John
Mark

Post by Mark »

I read few comparisons od both mid and hub motors and it seems like mid ones are better for me.

Is it true that they drain battery slower then hub motors? Do they break more often then hub motors?

Finally can you recommend good suppliers on top of those above?

Cheers
stodd

Post by stodd »

Woosh has already been suggested above for hub kits ... I will second that. They also do mid drive. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/category ... rsion-kits I haven't tried their mid-drive, but they are certainly very helpful and will give advice by email or phone.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

stodd wrote:Woosh has already been suggested above for hub kits ... I will second that. They also do mid drive. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/category ... rsion-kits I haven't tried their mid-drive, but they are certainly very helpful and will give advice by email or phone.

I used their mid drive kit, it was fine. Fitted it easily in an evening after work and it's done about 14k miles.

My only concern is the quality of the BMS fitted to the battery and the charger.
I had to repair the charger after an internal solder joint failed but I'm sure had I bothered to email them they'd have sorted it out, they certainly respond fairly promptly to any other queries I've thrown their way.

Upsides of mid drive are the obvious hill climbing / headwind benefits of still having gears. Downsides are your drive train wears faster.
I also found on mine that on the max assist level if you press the thumb throttle the speed limits are ignored and the motor provides significantly more power - handy for bursts of keeping up with traffic or helping to train the odd cyclist that drops in behind you. ;)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My experience of the retro-fit (described a few posts up) is that when I learned the trick of constantly balancing gears and assist levels I rarely needed to use more than level 3 (of 5) except on the steepest hills or into the strongest wind, even fully loaded with camping gear. The only time I use the throttle button is to give my legs a few turns rest on a steep hill. That way I get up to 100km on a charge.
John
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks again for your opinons!

Well I can see that Whoosh got a very good feedback but unfortunately BBS01B they have in stock does not have a socket for the gear sensor.
I read that with this sensor avoid chain grinding and cassette breaking so it would be very useful for me.

So is there any other supplier you can recommend?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mark wrote:Thanks again for your opinons!
I read that with this sensor avoid chain grinding and cassette breaking so it would be very useful for me.

My original fit was as quick as I could manage so I could go for a ride.
So I never even bothered with the brake cutout switches and have never felt the need to do so. (The motor cuts out fast enough when you stop pedalling.)

With regards the gear change; changing up makes no difference that I can see other than always getting a 'snappy' change. Changing down I momentarily ease off which quickly becomes an unconscious action.

If you really wanted it can it be fitted into the brake cutouts?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok Kwackers it seems I can ride without gear sensor :)
Oldjohnw wrote:As mentioned earlier:

http://www.electric-bike-conversions.co.uk/

Their only missive middrive kit is Pendix Mid Crank Drive Electric Bike Kit and it's from £1,649.00 which is far to expensive for me :/