UK National Survey of E-bike Use and Potential Use

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
stevemelia

UK National Survey of E-bike Use and Potential Use

Post by stevemelia »

Do you live in the UK, and have you ever used, or considered using, an e-bike (an electrically-assisted cycle with pedals)? If so, this survey is for you. (We are interested in your responses even if you have not yet used an e-bike.)

E-bike sales have been growing; we certainly see more on the roads nowadays, but who is riding them, and why, or why not? Can you help us to find out? This national survey is being conducted by the University of the West of England, as part of this project. The findings will be used to write a report, and a brief summary for everyone who takes part; the individual data will be kept confidential and will not be passed to any other party.

The survey should take no more than 10 minutes to complete. Please email us if you want to know any more about the survey. Thank you for your interest.

START THE SURVEY NOW: https://uwe.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/survey-of-e-bike-users-copy

Dr Steve Melia (steve.melia@uwe.ac.uk)
Dr Caroline Bartle (caroline.bartle@uwe.ac.uk)
Centre for Transport and Society
University of the West of England
mjr

Re: UK National Survey of E-bike Use and Potential Use

Post by mjr »

Shouldn't it be titled "UK Resident Survey..." if it's open to all those living here, not only UK Nationals?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:Shouldn't it be titled "UK Resident Survey..." if it's open to all those living here, not only UK Nationals?

Are you serious?
I read it as being nationwide rather than of nationals.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
mjr wrote:Shouldn't it be titled "UK Resident Survey..." if it's open to all those living here, not only UK Nationals?

Are you serious?
I read it as being nationwide rather than of nationals.

Serious. Your suggestion of "nationwide" would be better than "national" there, too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I read the title similarly to PH, a Nationwide survey, not a survey of UK Nationals.

However, it is a very good example of how easy it is to possibly 'offend' people simply through perceptions of the (innocently) written word!!

Anyhow, completed the survey with regard to my usage of a converted tandem.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

I just came across a link to the survey in “CycleClips” and find it rather perplexing. The survey asks questions about e-bike ownership, intention to buy etc, and about car ownership. It does not ask about non-assisted cycle ownership or use. So, I own a car which gets very little use, but is theoretically is always available for me to use, and I don’t own, or currently intend to use, an e-bike. (I needed the car for my 50+ mile daily commute, which I always hated, and since retiring, for transporting a disabled relative). I seem pretty much to be a “car-owner” on the basis of these questions. Where is the question which allows me to reveal the truth about my “car ownership” and attitude to cycling and e-bikes? The car gets very little use now, and my two conventional cycles are my transport of choice for practicality, exercise and enjoyment, and will hopefully remain so until I am too clapped out to manage without assistance.

I did put a note to this effect in the box provided, but I must say that I think the survey could have been a lot better designed.