E-Bikes rules/Law

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Ryan1967

E-Bikes rules/Law

Post by Ryan1967 »

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with E-Bike laws, I know Northern Ireland have different but England? I saw somewhere it could an illegal to use a mobile phone whilst riding one as it could be classed as a car depending on the WATT of the bike?
Oldjohnw

Re: E-Bikes rules/Law

Post by Oldjohnw »

I don't know the rules about mobile phones but as far as I am concerned, the consequences are the same as when driving a car: your attention is at least partly where it shouldn't be. Cyclists are vulnerable enough without cycling only half alert.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ryan1967 wrote:Hi, I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with E-Bike laws, I know Northern Ireland have different but England? I saw somewhere it could an illegal to use a mobile phone whilst riding one as it could be classed as a car depending on the WATT of the bike?

I'm not sure about that. Maybe it's that e-bikes over 250w are classed as motorbikes, so it would be illegal to use a mobile phone as well as various other offences are likely to be being committed.

Oldjohnw wrote:I don't know the rules about mobile phones but as far as I am concerned, the consequences are the same as when driving a car: your attention is at least partly where it shouldn't be. Cyclists are vulnerable enough without cycling only half alert.

I agree to a point, but it's not currently illegal and I'd definitely say the consequences are much worse when driving a car: when someone uses a phone while cycling, the rider is most at risk, but if someone uses a phone while driving, everyone around them is also in danger.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

EAPC is still a PC, so no regulations which specify mechanically propelled or motorised vehicles apply.

OTOH some electric bikes won't be EAPC according to the law - they are basically electric motorbikes in the eyes of the law, so need registration, insurance, VED, motorbike standard helmet...

250W limit, 15mph cut off, appropriate plate on the motor, control mechanisms and installation date all need to be 'correct'.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RickH

Post by RickH »

[XAP]Bob wrote:EAPC is still a PC, so no regulations which specify mechanically propelled or motorised vehicles apply.

OTOH some electric bikes won't be EAPC according to the law - they are basically electric motorbikes in the eyes of the law, so need registration, insurance, VED, motorbike standard helmet...

250W limit, 15mph cut off, appropriate plate on the motor, control mechanisms and installation date all need to be 'correct'.

I recently came across a webpage for this electric bike. It seems to be claiming to be (EAPC?) legal but I can't see it to be so myself.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
irc

Post by irc »

NickWi

Post by NickWi »

RickH wrote:I recently came across a webpage for this electric bike. It seems to be claiming to be (EAPC?) legal but I can't see it to be so myself.

Doesn't the fact that the advert states "The Model 15 works through a simple twist-and-go handlebar accelerator " make it a moped?

Going back to the original question, https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q604.htm backs up what's been said above. On a standard or legal ebike using a mobile phone puts you at risk of being done on a Careless Cycling charge, on a 'illeagal' ebike (and therefore a moped) you'll face the same charges as any other motorist.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

As I understand it....

There are regulation that make these vehicles cycles (pedal assist, maximum speed, power)

If they exceed these then they become motor vehicles and hence require registration, insurance and compliance with all the other laws pertaining
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Agitate, educate, organise.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

NickWi wrote:
RickH wrote:I recently came across a webpage for this electric bike. It seems to be claiming to be (EAPC?) legal but I can't see it to be so myself.

Doesn't the fact that the advert states "The Model 15 works through a simple twist-and-go handlebar accelerator " make it a moped?

If it's new, yes.

The old UK e-bike rules were maximum 200W, but twist-and-go was allowed.
When they got harmonised with EU regulations, quite a while back, the allowable power went up to 250W, but non-pedalling assistance was restricted to 3 mph (for getting moving or wheeling a heavy bike).
Twist-and-go ebikes that were in use at the time of change are still OK, but new ones aren't.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Twist and go/throttles are legal again as long as the bike is type approved this is a boon for disabled riders who can only provide limited input, the bike has to have an annual msva check and is then regarded as an EAPC in a new sub category of the Low Powered Moped class. Bike still has to comply to all other regs so 250w and max 15.5mph and falls in to 250w LPM sub category class of the LPM. No insurance, licencing is required and no helmet.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/thread ... tle.34008/
Renaissance9

Post by Renaissance9 »

Anyone can help me with my situation. I bought an E-bike with a 1000W power output and 48v 14.5Ah battery. Could you provide me the whole process how to make it road legal in any possible way. I would like to use it without worrying about when the police will pull me over. I'm ready to do anything what brings me solutions.

Thank you
stodd

Post by stodd »

I fear it is likely to be complicated getting it certified, and then fairly expensive to insure because it is non-standard for the insurance companies. Depending how the bike is set up it may be best to replace the 1000w motor with a (nominal) 250w one that is suitable for 48v (eg http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit#tsdz2) You'll probably lose much less power than appears from the numbers, and gain a lot of range as well.

I'd ask on the Pedelecs forum (mentioned above) which is more active with some very knowledgeable people.
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.42/
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Ryan1967 wrote:Hi, I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with E-Bike laws, I know Northern Ireland have different but England? I saw somewhere it could an illegal to use a mobile phone whilst riding one as it could be classed as a car depending on the WATT of the bike?

Don't know whether the NI law is relevant to you or not, but the problem they have is Stormont is not sitting to pass the law, The intention I believe is to accept the law same as the rest of the UK. As such the PSNI have stated they will not prosecute people in the meantime.
NUKe

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Renaissance9 wrote:Anyone can help me with my situation. I bought an E-bike with a 1000W power output and 48v 14.5Ah battery. Could you provide me the whole process how to make it road legal in any possible way. I would like to use it without worrying about when the police will pull me over. I'm ready to do anything what brings me solutions.

Thank you

You need do get through the motorcycle single vehicle approval process. Here's some light bedtime reading...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ion-manual

You'll also need a motorcycle licence, or a moped licence if the weight and performance permit it to be registered as such, and before going to the considerable effort of getting through the approval process you may want to check you can find someone willing to insure it for a price you can afford.

I only know of one person who has ever done this with a bicycle, but I can't find the link. It was for a clamp on petrol engine conversion, but the process and test is the same, and onerous to say the least. If you do manage it I'd love to see a write up.

Good luck.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.