Riese and Muller

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
bob simpson

Re: Riese and Muller

Post by bob simpson »

The Charger with Rohloff is about the same as a year's deprecation on a mid range new car.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

Just got a Delite with E14 Rohloff and Gates belt the week before last. Had to wait from last November due to the factory move.

But it is an amazing beast. I live on the edge of the Peak District and was getting bored with spending 90-95% of the time crawling up 15-20% hills at walking pace on my Patria Terra tourer so I treated myself to a retirement present from the pension lump sum. I'm looking forward to exploring the Peaks with day trips, micro-adventures and longer round the UK and beyond. With two 500 Wh batteries it should go 50-60 miles even in the Peaks. In theory it could go over 100 miles if I were prepared to sit back, admire the view and use eco mode.

Mind you even with the smaller frame it's a big beast. I'm 170 cm (5' 7") with short inside leg and can only just touch down with tip toes when on the saddle (I had to cut the seat tube by 5 cm and must lower the bars to match). Straddling the cross bar is possible only just in front of the saddle, not further forward. Unfortunately the frame needs to be that big to house the batteries and it's higher than a rigid frame due to the suspension and 27.5" wheels/tyres. It helps to fill the panniers to lower the suspension a tad.

That said once underway it's well balanced and handles beautifully fast or slow. It's a pleasure off road with the suspension. There's good traction on slithery muddy paths with the Schwalbe Rock Razor 60-584 tyres.

Yes it's expensive but it comes with a good lock (with alarm) and, that said, what price keeping oneself fit and active in retirement? Even though it's an e-bike I still get sweaty (i.e. go uphill at the speed I used to go on the flat i.e. 10-12 mph). The bottom line is I go much further and go out more often now I'm not getting bored and frustrated with yet another hill.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Used to love cycling uphill but in retirement I shall live somewhere flat, hope never to need an e-bike
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Lodge wrote:Just got a Delite with E14 Rohloff and Gates belt the week before last.<SNIP>

That’s the exact model/configuration I’m going for! my wife is looking at the Homage. How are you getting on with it? Planning on test rides as soon as we get a dry day.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
loafer

Post by loafer »

Lodge wrote:Just got a Delite with E14 Rohloff and Gates belt the week before last. Had to wait from last November due to the factory move.

But it is an amazing beast. I live on the edge of the Peak District and was getting bored with spending 90-95% of the time crawling up 15-20% hills at walking pace on my Patria Terra tourer so I treated myself to a retirement present from the pension lump sum. I'm looking forward to exploring the Peaks with day trips, micro-adventures and longer round the UK and beyond. With two 500 Wh batteries it should go 50-60 miles even in the Peaks. In theory it could go over 100 miles if I were prepared to sit back, admire the view and use eco mode.

Mind you even with the smaller frame it's a big beast. I'm 170 cm (5' 7") with short inside leg and can only just touch down with tip toes when on the saddle (I had to cut the seat tube by 5 cm and must lower the bars to match). Straddling the cross bar is possible only just in front of the saddle, not further forward. Unfortunately the frame needs to be that big to house the batteries and it's higher than a rigid frame due to the suspension and 27.5" wheels/tyres. It helps to fill the panniers to lower the suspension a tad.

That said once underway it's well balanced and handles beautifully fast or slow. It's a pleasure off road with the suspension. There's good traction on slithery muddy paths with the Schwalbe Rock Razor 60-584 tyres.

Yes it's expensive but it comes with a good lock (with alarm) and, that said, what price keeping oneself fit and active in retirement? Even though it's an e-bike I still get sweaty (i.e. go uphill at the speed I used to go on the flat i.e. 10-12 mph). The bottom line is I go much further and go out more often now I'm not getting bored and frustrated with yet another hill.

hi Lodge ...sounds like a awesome bike :wink: I almost went with that model but I liked the look of the charger ... :D still waiting cant wait to test the E-14 Rohloff on some nice hill`s ... and don't you just love those dual batteries .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

Fitted flat bars and an adjustable stem today. I must get out for an extended ride as soon as the weather eases off a bit (rather windy right now).

And yes, the dual batteries are wonderful. No range anxiety... unless I insist on going everywhere on boost (but it's so tempting...).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Lodge wrote:And yes, the dual batteries are wonderful. No range anxiety... unless I insist on going everywhere on boost (but it's so tempting...).

OK, I looked at the bike online but I'm struggling with the dual battery thing.

Why is it better than simply having two batteries (it does say dual battery "technology" which suggests something clever I couldn't see), or having a single 1000w battery? (Or simply carrying a spare, or two spares)
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

The dual battery "thing" just enables R&M to use available Bosch 500 Wh units. I assume if there were a 1000 Wh unit available it would be just as good but finding a place on the bike to put such a large unit would be an interesting design exercise. That said, having two battery packs means one can go out with just one if desired. When both are fitted the software uses each battery alternately until they are both discharged (there's an indicator on the display showing which is being used).

The other advantage of two is flexibility in that I can share with my wife when we go out together. She has a Tern Vektron (with Alfine 11) with the same type of Bosch battery unit. So when she's getting low she can, if necessary, have one of mine.

Before I got the R&M I used to borrow her Vektron (until she "suggested" I get my own e-bike). She carries a spare 300 Wh battery in a pannier (normally my pannier!) so when the 500 Wh is discharged she can swap. If I really wanted to go a huge distance on my own I could in theory take all four battery packs with me. I don't think my backside would take that even with a well broken in Brooks saddle.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Lodge wrote:The dual battery "thing" just enables R&M to use available Bosch 500 Wh units. I assume if there were a 1000 Wh unit available it would be just as good but finding a place on the bike to put such a large unit would be an interesting design exercise. That said, having two battery packs means one can go out with just one if desired. When both are fitted the software uses each battery alternately until they are both discharged (there's an indicator on the display showing which is being used).

The other advantage of two is flexibility in that I can share with my wife when we go out together. She has a Tern Vektron (with Alfine 11) with the same type of Bosch battery unit. So when she's getting low she can, if necessary, have one of mine.

Before I got the R&M I used to borrow her Vektron (until she "suggested" I get my own e-bike). She carries a spare 300 Wh battery in a pannier (normally my pannier!) so when the 500 Wh is discharged she can swap. If I really wanted to go a huge distance on my own I could in theory take all four battery packs with me. I don't think my backside would take that even with a well broken in Brooks saddle.

Fair enough, it's just the word "technology" that threw me, I thought something clever was going on.

Won't be long before 1Kwh batteries are the same size as 500wh.
What then? Smaller lighter batteries or bigger? (Think I'd go with smaller, lighter).
DaveE128

Post by DaveE128 »

I bought a Birdy in about 2010. It is an extremely nicely engineered bike, but the delivery time was pretty long and I found getting spares also quite slow. This was a long time ago, so things may have changed. I'd ask the shop how they find R&M for spares delivery.
quack

Post by quack »

I bought an R&M New Charger Touring last year. Great bike. Still feels like riding a bike, but with a bit of help on hills etc. My only reservation is the weight, as they are cumbersome to move around. The other point is that the front suspension and the larger tyres make the handlebars and bike quite high, even though I have the smallest size (the one with the crossbar). The other thing to take into account is transporting it if you want to take it with you by car. Quite bulky and too heavy for a roof rack. Only option really a rear rack.
bromptonrail

Post by bromptonrail »

I have a R&M Nevo Vario. The Bosch Performance motor is fantastic, and Turbo mode is great for quick getaways from traffic lights. Having owned various Gazelle ebikes previously I do find the Nevo to be very comfortable indeed to ride. Highly recommended! I have tried the Tinker and loved it, especially the almost BMX style of frame, but at 77 getting my leg over the 65cm step over is less convenient. Go test ride an R&M ebike. By comparison the Birdy Range where there are no electric models is somehow stuck a little in the past, though it is still a nice folding bike but beaten by the Brompton.
No advertising please.
loafer

Post by loafer »

:D :D :D :D :D bike shop just called THEY HAVE ARRIVED whooooooooooo :lol: :lol: will be picking them up on Saturday ...all I need to do now is sell off the the 2 Haibikes
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Fantastic, let me know how you get on with them :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
loafer

Post by loafer »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Fantastic, let me know how you get on with them :-)

sure will Phil :wink: