Looking for an E-bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
swfcdan

Looking for an E-bike

Postby swfcdan » 17 May 2019, 6:04pm

Having tried out e-bikes when a friend bought one recently, I was really impressed so have become really tempted to get one myself to deal with all the hills where I live!
I've tried the Carrera Crossfuse and really liked it (the Crossfire not nearly as much due to strong pedal resistance when not using motor), however at £1800 at Halfords it's out of my price range. I noticed in reviews that many people bought them when on sale earlier in the year for around £1300. However now Halfords seem low on stock and bringing out a new e-bike range soon, so it seems odd they were on sale months ago but not now?

I want one with the Bosch motor, does anyone have any other reccomendations more around the £1200-1300 mark? I'm not so interested in the new range coming out as imagine they will be out of my price range, so does anyone know of other quality mens e-bikes (hybrids) on sale elsewhere right now?

EDIT: Added as a response below about 2nd hand bikes:
I've considered 2nd hand ones but isn't having no warranty not recommended with an E-bike? I've heard they often can need taking in to fix electrics or motor etc, things a standard bike store won't fix. So I thought buying new with warranty was a must with an e-bike, for peace of mind and to avoid any expensive repairs. I had found a 2nd hand but hardly used Crossfuse bike available for £1200, but was put off by having no warranty for it.
Last edited by swfcdan on 18 May 2019, 8:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

brynpoeth

Re: Looking for an E-bike

Postby brynpoeth » 17 May 2019, 7:24pm

Second-hand pre-loved bikes might be worth looking at, some people find they cannae get along with e-bikes
You could wait till the end of the season to get a discount
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

robgul

Postby robgul » 17 May 2019, 9:18pm

brynpoeth wrote:Second-hand pre-loved bikes might be worth looking at, some people find they cannae get along with e-bikes

I would steer well-clear of a secondhand ebike - you don't know how the battery has been treated and replacement could be 30% of the cost of the bike.

I can understand your desire for a Bosch but I think your price point is optimistic for a mid-engine machine that's any good - and maintenance costs are higher than hub motors (either front or back). Machines with a TranzX mid motor may be nearer your price.

Rob

swfcdan

Postby swfcdan » 17 May 2019, 9:23pm

brynpoeth wrote:Second-hand pre-loved bikes might be worth looking at, some people find they cannae get along with e-bikes

I've considered 2nd hand ones but isn't having no warranty not recommended with an E-bike? I've heard they often can need taking in to fix electrics or motor etc, things a standard bike store won't fix. So I thought buying new with warranty was a must with an e-bike, for peace of mind and to avoid any expensive repairs. I had found a 2nd hand but hardly used Crossfuse bike available for £1200, but was put off by having no warranty for it.

amoto65

Postby amoto65 » 18 May 2019, 6:44pm

The Crossfuse is a great bike I have done about 100 mls on mine, I bought it to replace my Wisper 905se which I was selling but then ended up having a heart attack so have kept the Wisper until I get my fitness back as I can ghost pedal with it being a hub motor. I am not sure if warranties are transferable with Halfords, the prices might drop slightly over the Bank Holiday if Halfords have a sale and I certainly recommend them.

BertYardbrush

Postby BertYardbrush » 18 May 2019, 7:50pm

It's getting towards launch time for next year's bikes. you should be able to pick up a last year model or an ex demo for a reasonable price. If you could up your budget 2 or 3 hundred to £1500 you shouldn't have a problem.
Not what you're looking for but my LBS, Igloo Cycles, Chesterfield has an Orbea Gain, ex demo, 2018 D40 Shimano Claris, medium frame, for around £1195.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 18 May 2019, 8:04pm

Try Motorcycle News ....
Only when the tide goes out do you discover who’s been swimming naked.

The road goes on forever.

swfcdan

Postby swfcdan » 18 May 2019, 8:09pm

BertYardbrush wrote:It's getting towards launch time for next year's bikes. you should be able to pick up a last year model or an ex demo for a reasonable price. If you could up your budget 2 or 3 hundred to £1500 you shouldn't have a problem.
Not what you're looking for but my LBS, Igloo Cycles, Chesterfield has an Orbea Gain, ex demo, 2018 D40 Shimano Claris, medium frame, for around £1195.

Thanks, though I'm looking for a well known brand so I can check many reviews to check reliablity etc for e-bikes. DId take a look on their site but couldn't see the Orbea Gain you mentioned listed.
I'm wondering about warranty on 2nd hand e-bikes, have edited my OP to mention that.

BertYardbrush

Postby BertYardbrush » 20 May 2019, 12:18pm

I'm guessing you may live in Sheffield. You've probably been to JE James where they have a massive selection. Also, a couple of people I know have used Peak eBikes at Hassop Station. They have gone for Raleigh. One got a very well specced Mustang reduced to £1500.

BrightonRock

Postby BrightonRock » 25 May 2019, 9:09am

For a Bosch powered bike you're going to struggle on 1500 budget. But it's not impossible. EBay is good for new ebikes at massive discount. Best bet.

BrightonRock

Postby BrightonRock » 25 May 2019, 9:12am

Cube ebike (a very good make) for £1450

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3226563729