Raleigh Velo XC Battery Woes!

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
NigelH

Raleigh Velo XC Battery Woes!

Post by NigelH »

I'm sure this topic is not uncommon but I'm hoping that after hours and hours crawling the web, I may get some answers here?

This is the situation. My wife bought this bike in 2016 and used it for 6 outings before suffering a knee injury. The upshot was that the bike went unused for best part of 18 months. I had removed the battery from the carrier but, had I kept it regularly charged. No. So when we got it out and attempted to charge the battery it was dead, dead, dead. The option at that time was anew battery but at around £400 that seemed an awful lot of money - half what she paid for the bike as it happens.

I'm very familiar with battery technology and Li-On cells in particular, as I use these a lot in RC model flying so, with nothing to lose, I disassembled the battery pack, tested each cell individually, and found 4 out of 40 cells had failed. I bought replacements and, after a considerable amount of hacking, had them fitted. I then charged each of the 40 cells to capacity (I have some pretty clever battery charging tech) and found another 4 which weren't taking charge readily and replaced those too. Fitted the pack back in the bike and went for a ride - all good. I then put the pack on the regular charger and it just wouldn't charge, despite the charger voltage seeming to be right. So, there we are up to today.

I could still buy a replacement battery, and probably charger (although they seem very rare) but, from what I've read, these particular batteries are that good and according to our local Raleigh dealer, are prone to failure more than some others?

My thinking is that it must be possible to fit a new panier style housing and new battery type - one that's possibly more reliable and with greater capacity? But Google as I might, I can't find any clues as to what to buy or where to buy from? I don't mind doing a bit of 'hacking' but would much rather it be a straightforward job.

Any ideas, options, alternative approaches to resurrecting this weighty and somewhat useless non-e-bike gratefully received! Thanks in advance.

battery2.JPG
battery1.JPG
bike.JPG
kwackers

Re: Raleigh Velo XC Battery Woes!

Post by kwackers »

It's not a BMS issue?
Some BMS's are 'programmed' to handle their current battery and reset to a default state if you remove power from them.

Don't know about bike batteries but I've had it with drill batteries.
NigelH

Post by NigelH »

Forgive me, what's a BMS?
willcee

Post by willcee »

Reading this i sent a link to the chap that builds batteries for me.. this is his reply..hes up in Middlesborough..
''either the bms board has failed. or when he's been changing cells he has wired the bms wrong.

the bigger issue is even though he has replaced the damaged cells, the other cells that were still working will die over a period of time, as standing that long they will be damage. he will find if he gets it charging he will just keep replaceing cells, strip it out, have new pack built to fit and a new bms board.

depend on the connectors maybe £200 rebuild cost..''

BMS is the battery maintenance system, and is connected to each singular cell where it knows how to level the charge going in, and stops everything if something is iffy.. and thats been a cheapie fitted i would guess , my man uses good ones.. having had a few go wrong in the past couple of years.. the thing that gets me when i heard of this similar situation recently locally.. battery dead, won't charge . each time the bikes were bought, used a couple of times weekly or less, put away in bad weather or winter and never looked at until months later... L/I's don't suffer that.. they need regular use or regular partial top ups..he built me a battery for the chap and its flying.. Raleigh wanted hundreds .. will
recombinant

Post by recombinant »

I have just bought a replacement battery (complete with a new charger) from yose power UK on eBay. Cost is only £161 with free delivery. I have done some test rides and it has managed 38 miles without going flat.
The handlebar display is now a bit out of synch with the charge LEDs on the battery so the bike was saying there was more reserve than the battery said.
The claimed capacity is about 15% more than the original. Very pleased so far.
The instructions state you should connect the charger to the battery pack before turning on the mains switch. I'm going to be very careful with this sequence when I charge.
hemo

Post by hemo »

For the age of the 2016 battery, replacing the dead cells is rather futile and a false economy, As some cells had already died others were likely too as well due to aging.
One should be able to find a generic battery of the same type to fit the rack or buy a new rack.battery for a reasonable cost.

One chap on pedelecs had his battery re-celled for about £80 with new China branded cells, he couldn't afford much so was well chuffed with the result and a working bike again.
Last edited by hemo on 10 Jan 2022, 11:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The bike controller box is in the front of the battery part on the bike so it would have to be removed and placed in to any new battery case if different. The battery is also similar to MIFA bike battery and the both offerings from ebay are a MIFA type, one may be able to look at the pics better to see and compare.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393245403123 ... BMgMib48hf#

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333608475523 ... Swsydg0tPO
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

NigelH wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 9:53am Forgive me, what's a BMS?
Try this link here for a good general explanation about Battery Management Systems (BMS).

The sad fact is, allowing the battery pack to go flat at all, let alone stay flat for a long time, it is, to use the vernacular, well and truly knackered and not redeemable.

As already said, your efforts (and money) in attempting to resurect the battery are best put to a new battery pack 8)
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey