Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
Shifty

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby Shifty » 9 Sep 2019, 8:57am

I think there are a lot of people on here that haven’t ever had a day on an e-bike?
I know that the e-mtb is great for fitness and weight loss.
After running last year two trail marathons and this year two 50k plus trail runs this year, no one can argue that I’m not pretty fit. I use an e-mtb. I can get onto the trails quicker and get 40k + cycling instead of 20k. I use eco mode and use it to train on heart rate. I average 125 bpm compared to 140 bpm when I’m training. But my normal training runs were an hour max. So I’m expending more energy, having fun too.
I think using it in the mountains would be awesome you could cover a lot of terrain. Last longer in the day and keep fit.
<SNIP>

rbrian

Postby rbrian » 11 Sep 2019, 9:54pm

I bought an ebike this week. I'm trying to get my work to take back the stinking diesel van I'm provided with to carry a laptop and a small bag of tools. For the last few months, I've been leaving it on the yard, cycling in on a Brompton, then leaving it wherever I happen to finish and cycling home. The vast majority of days I travel less than 15 miles, easy enough to cycle, but I can't carry enough on the Brompton. I need a compact bike to store in my living room, and I saw a Tern Vektron S10 with a £700 discount, so I went for it.

I took it for a long ride yesterday - well long for me. I haven't cycled more than 20 miles in a day since I was a teenager, but I had the day free, except for a presentation in the afternoon 30 miles away. I wouldn't have tried that on my Brompton, I'd probably have taken the bus, but I rode my electric bike on NCN route 1, which takes a very winding route from Aberdeen to Stonehaven, and I'd covered 48 miles by the time I reached Johnshaven, with a 20mph headwind the entire way. I was worried about battery life, so had it off most of the time, occasionally using Eco mode. On the way back I used the battery much more, but couldn't face going all that way in the dark, so I got the train back from Stonehaven - but that's much further than I would have gone with an ordinary bike, and my Galaxy Watch congratulated me on my most active day ever (well, in the 11 months since I've had it).
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.

Grandad

Postby Grandad » 21 Sep 2019, 10:51pm

Since reporting on my first ride on the Orbea
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=132519#p1393752
I've done 2 more. Both 53 miles plus 4 and 5 miles using the motor.

Went out on the Spa Audax today and over 41 miles found myself using higher gears and riding considerably faster.(But not taking in any severe hills - save them for the Orbea!)

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 22 Sep 2019, 8:44am

I've now done 4000km in my ebike. That is 4000 km that I would not have done. Some pure pleasure and some when otherwise I would have used the car.

I've had 5 cycle/camping trips from Yorkshire to Hadrians Cycleway to Scotland. I've lost 10kg in weight.

What's not to like?
John

Cycling and recycling

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 22 Sep 2019, 9:51am

The question is flawed

Do Racing bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists?

The answer is that it all depends upon the cyclist. There are those who get dressed up, ride to the cafe and back, and those who will do s 30-mile loop to the same cafe. A utility cyclist will get the same exercise as the former, but far less than the latter.

The real question is whether the individual gets more exercise than they did before the bike was purchased.

horizon

Postby horizon » 22 Sep 2019, 10:50am

I'm not even sure that the question is even relevant or that it matters (in its original form it was probably a bit of journalistic fun). The problem for me is comparing e-bikes to unpowered bikes in the first place. They are different and have different roles and implications. The only fly in the ointment is that, perhaps for the first time, we have a powered machine that sits in the same class as an unpowered bicycle (it goes on trains, it is allowed on cyclepaths, they are used on club runs, you don't legally need a helmet etc etc). Perhaps it is this overlap that causes the problem, not e-bikes per se.
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 22 Sep 2019, 11:33am

horizon wrote:we have a powered machine that sits in the same class as an unpowered bicycle (it goes on trains, it is allowed on cyclepaths, they are used on club runs, you don't legally need a helmet etc etc). Perhaps it is this overlap that causes the problem, not e-bikes per se.

Out of interest which if any of the above things you mention actually makes a difference and why do you think that?
(I'm considering only legal e-bikes here, illegal ones are obviously illegal).

Even unpowered bikes are powered. That they rely on muscle doesn't really change that - and some use unfairly powerful muscles to boot! :lol:

As a thought experiment, what if we made a motor that used muscle? Such a thing is technically possible, you could run it on glucose.