Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
peterb

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Post by peterb »

Grandad wrote:Reads as though you don't see partially assisted motorised bikes as e-bikes :?:

- not all e-bikes are equal. The 'new' genre of e-road bikes such as the Orbea Gain are relatively low powered - Orbea promote the Gain as offering 'just enough' assistance.
bob simpson

Post by bob simpson »

As a "normal " cyclist who has toured extensively in Europe I've witnessed the explosion in Ebikes. My touring has evolved from travelling fully loaded with 4 panniers , tent and cooking gear. The next stage was light weight touring with 2 lightly loaded panniers, staying in hostels and hotels.
If you can't beat them join them. The latest stage is the purchase of an Ebike which is the best thing I've ever done. No hill holds any fear. I'm actively seeking out challenging routes, cycling in bad weather is almost enjoyable. The bottom line is I'm getting more exercise because I'm enjoying cycling more and doing more miles.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've scanned the thread but cannot find any reference to VO2max. Is this something that people take note of or consider important? AIUI it's the greatest amount of oxygen that your body can utilise at a given moment. I would have thought that ebikes remove some of the intensity of cycling so won't push VO2max. Any thoughts? (I'm no expert on this.)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Are many e-bike riders interested in VO2max? With atrial fibrillation I ride well within my heart's comfort limit and suspect that most others use a degree of caution
horizon

Post by horizon »

Grandad wrote:Are many e-bike riders interested in VO2max? With atrial fibrillation I ride well within my heart's comfort limit and suspect that most others use a degree of caution

Well, this thread is about exercise and was posted by an e-bike rider and I think they are. After all, many e-cyclists post about getting a good level of exercise so they have at least thought about it and VO2max is an indicator. It certainly must be an issue for would-be e-bikers as it's the health benfits of cycling that are often touted as one of the reasons for doing it.

Back to VO2max. AIUI, VO2max is an indication of fitness and is increased by intense exercise. However, I presume we all have some level of VO2max even if that is quite low. Again AIUI, it is of benefit if VO2max is increased even if that is from a low level - the "max" part of it is one's personal "max", not some super-human standard.

I'm not suggesting here BTW that e-bikes don't provide exercise or that VO2max is vitally important - I'm really only asking whether e-bikes specifically tend by their very nature to reduce the opportunity to increase one's VO2max and whether of course that matters.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
peterb

Post by peterb »

Assuming one is interested in VO2max, how would one calculate it when using an ebike? I can no longer walk or jog* to raise heart rate, and using an e-bike enables this. It is about the only way left for me to me to get any degree of cardiovascular exercise.
edit *or use an unassisted bike
horizon

Post by horizon »

peterb wrote:Assuming one is interested in VO2max, how would one calculate it when using an ebike? I can no longer walk or jog to raise heart rate, and using an e-bike enables this. It is about the only way left for me to me to get any degree of cardiovascular exercise.

You don't have to calculate it or even know what it is. You just have to improve it if at all possible as it improves your overall health. So if you are exercising to the point of being puffed out, then you will (AFAIK) be increasing it. Obviously there might be good medical reasons for some people not to overdo it. For other people, it's just part of what exercising means. Indeed, I would say that everyone, e-bike or not, will be increasing or maintaining it to some extent compared to someone sitting on the sofa at home watching TV. What people appear to be saying is that that is the alternative to riding an e-bike and I fully agree with that.

However, what I am suggesting is that for many averagely fit people, the e-bike might remove some of the occasions when VO2max might be improved - indeed that is the very idea AIUI behind the e-bike - it smooths out the extremes. So, while I don't know the details, I'm suggesting that the very concept of the e-bike runs counter to the very concept of VO2max.
peterb

Post by peterb »

OK - in my personal situation I certainly do not get as much exercise as I did before my health issues arose, and not as much as when riding unassisted. I was riding 'leg powered' longer, faster, on club runs, and attending regular gym sessions. However the use of the e-bike enables me to continue riding, albeit at a lower exercise level than when unassisted. My weight has remained constant too. In short, I'm getting a lot more exercise than I would if I wasn't riding it!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Shouldn't it be that a certain group of e biker riders get more exercise that if they had a real bike? Usual Road CC gutter press.
horizon

Post by horizon »

mattsccm wrote:Shouldn't it be that a certain group of e biker riders get more exercise that if they had a real bike? Usual Road CC gutter press.

I get the impression from contributions on here that for some people e-bikes are a real life saver. OTOH, the impression I got from riding across London a couple of weeks ago was that e-bikes are ridden by young, otherwise healthy people who really don't need to use one. Nowhere was that hilly and I generally overtook them on my fully loaded folder. The real problems in London were waiting at traffic lights and getting stuck behind buses, neither of which are much helped by having an electric motor.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is this the beginning of the end of cycling?

Centurion of Germany, a purveyor of racing bikes, now only sells bikes with motors, none without :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is this the beginning of the end of cycling?

Centurion of Germany, a purveyor of racing bikes, now only sells bikes with motors, none without :?

It might be if you're buying a Centurion of Germany. But why would his manufacturer's business decision mean the beginning of the end of cycling?
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Is this the beginning of the end of cycling?

It might be if you're buying a Centurion of Germany. But why would his manufacturer's business decision mean the beginning of the end of cycling?

Because it used to sell only BsMs bikes sans motors, it now sells only completely different products, bouleversement!
Maybe other manufacturers shall do likewise

I am dead lucky, no need for an e-bike, not many hills here or where I shall live in retirement, hope I never need help
Do you envy me?
A new definition of e-bike just occurred to me
Half a boon for the likes of Oldjohnw, Plus One!
Half a business opportunity to use more resources and sell expensive products to young fit people* who do not need them, Minus One

*people with too much money :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

Last week, I decided not to charge my battery even though it was down to 20%. I wanted to see what the actual range was; the estimate on the control bears little relation to reality. I got 108 miles from the 400w battery, and the lights still worked even though the motor didn't. The upshot of this was that I climbed a hill with a bike weighing 25kg. Surely that's more exercise than I'd get with a normal bike! Oddly enough, it felt easier than the same hill on my 10kg Brompton. Perhaps the tyres?
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
D.Railer

Post by D.Railer »

Well the answer to the original question in my case is a resounding “yes”. I’ve just bought a Fazer powered road bike (a Sunn Volt Special, as far as I know only available here in France) and it has transformed my cycling. It’s very hilly here, and before acquiring it my riding had been limited to maybe 40 km at the most, and getting on the leaderboard on the Strava segments for my age group (70-74). Now I’ve given that up, have doubled my distances and ride at a much higher cadence, as below 60 the motor doesn’t assist much. And I don’t get off and push now when the hill gets to 11%.
I’m writing this with a new set of aches and pains, so it must be better!