Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
Soldiersteve
Posts: 8
Joined: 21 Aug 2019, 10:59am

Re: E-bike riders get nore exercise than regular cyclist's

Postby Soldiersteve » 21 Aug 2019, 1:28pm

I have just bought my wife an ebike so she will come out on family rides with the rest of us. She did have a hybrid bike but didn't feel she had the level of fitness to keep up.
I am a casual cyclist who uses my bike mainly for short trips these days like popping into town and back. I used to use it for fitness training too but that has now fallen by the wayside. However yesterday I had to make a 20 mile hilly journey across the Isle of Wight to work. Previously I simply wouldn't have considered doing it by bike but took her ebike and had a great ride. As it's pedal assist (I believe the only legal option in UK) I was pedaling the whole time but was noticeably quicker on hills and considerably less sweaty when I arrived.
In reality I simply wouldn't have done the journey by bike at all had I not had the ebike option so I certainly got more exercise than if I'd been driving.
The fact is it's a case of horses for courses but the thing we should all be supporting is the fact that any bike use - regardless of type - is better than no bike use.

hemo
Posts: 421
Joined: 16 Nov 2017, 5:40pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby hemo » 21 Aug 2019, 10:03pm

Exercise wise some individuals e-biking doesn't or won't get them fitter but what it will do is exercise the cardiovascular system.Despite the negative prejudices of the nay sayers being out on an e-bike is better then being sedentry and not bothering.

reohn2
Posts: 35555
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby reohn2 » 22 Aug 2019, 7:50am

hemo wrote:Exercise wise some individuals e-biking doesn't or won't get them fitter but what it will do is exercise the cardiovascular system.Despite the negative prejudices of the nay sayers being out on an e-bike is better then being sedentry and not bothering.

Spot on!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1625
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby Oldjohnw » 22 Aug 2019, 9:02am

I've been a long distance backpacker and hill walker for decades. Following major surgery 3 years ago I could no longer carry a heavy backpack. Otherwise I am fit but getting old.

I tried cycling but struggled as it is very hilly in my locality. So I got my bike modified and added a motor. I have lost 15kg in weight, my lung function has improved and I am well on the way to coming out of the pre-diabetic phase. I've had several almost free holidays in the Highlands and significantly reduced my carbon contribution as I do most of the shopping on my bike.

I would recommend an ebike to anyone who struggles otherwise, for whatever reason. And ignore the prophets of doom occasionally inhabiting this forum.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 23 Aug 2019, 6:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Cycling and recycling

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13494
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: E-bike riders get nore exercise than regular cyclist's

Postby mjr » 22 Aug 2019, 9:55am

brynpoeth wrote:Are there any flat bits in Departement 67, or only hills & forests?

Looks pretty flat and open between the Ill and Scheer.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2341
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby Cugel » 22 Aug 2019, 10:19am

Oldjohnw wrote:I've been a long distance backpacker and hill walker for decades. Following major surgery 3 years ago I could no longer carry a heavy backpack. Otherwise I am fit but getting old.

I tried cycling but struggled as it is very hilly in my locality. So I got my bike modified and added a motor. I have lost 15kg in weight, my lung function has improved and I am well in the way to coming out of the pre-diabetic phase. I've had several almost free holidays in the Highlands and significantly reduced my carbon contribution as I do most of the shopping on my bike.

I would recommend an ebike to anyone who struggles otherwise, for whatever reason. And ignore the prophets of doom occasionally inhabiting this forum.


As we age the thing that becomes the measure of all else is our quality of life. It's so easy to lose it, slowly and beneath notice until one realises (in a brief lucid period) that one is a gimmer tottering on a perch in the gimmery, attended by Brutus the male nurse. So, we are wise to avoid the bad habits and to seek out the accoutrements that bolster that ever-so-valuable quality of life.

The e-bike is certainly one such valuable accoutrement. Your own case is a classic example that the puritanical lads should examine closely so that they may follow it in due course, as their formerly super-quads, glutes, panters and pump wither and go a bit stringy & feeble. The choice is: perch in that gimmery under the cosh of Brutus or perch on an e-bike and continue the immersion in the multi-paradise of the British landscape, riding with others or alone, not just alive but well.

****
There are other modes and accoutrements that avoid the deadly clasp of the gimmery. A shed with man-toys (or the womanly variety) of tradition. Outings with the grandchildren of a more physical kind than merely shopping or sitting passively at an "entertainment". Some demanding dogs to walk.....

But some lads seem very wedded to only one mode of life, becoming moribund at the slightest setback to their ability to maintain it. They become morose, bad-tempered, depressed then dead. Be warned, doomsters! Save for that e-bike now. :-)

Cugel

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1625
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby Oldjohnw » 23 Aug 2019, 3:51pm

John

Cycling and recycling

merseymouth
Posts: 931
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby merseymouth » 23 Aug 2019, 4:12pm

Hello there, Similar to Oldjohnw I have had to modify my efforts due to a big knife job.
Many other issues have arrived over the last 2 & a !/2 years, so just bashing off on my trikes is not always easy. My wife gets panicky in case I don't have the energy to get back to base.
So I have just fitted a Bafang 250w motor to one of the trikes, the one with rear disc brakes, so things should go better.
Big problem is the fact that one get B-all in the way of instructions, but I've almost got the measure of the beast. Just got to work out the functions of the command panel?
So at this point in time the thing shuts down after a short while at traffic lights, so moving the thing away when it's off is a sod, with all of the additional weight! So I definitely get a harder work out at that point.
But when active on Mk 3 one gets a nice boost when you hit the Turbo Button. So hopefully hen I sort it all out I will get a few more active years awheel! Who needs a car when one has Thunderbird 7 & my travel pass, even inter-city with my crocks discount card.
TTFN MM

reohn2
Posts: 35555
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby reohn2 » 23 Aug 2019, 5:04pm

MM
You should be able to change the length of time before the control panel shuts down the electrics in the settings section on the control panel.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4459
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: E-bike riders get nore exercise than regular cyclist's

Postby Audax67 » 23 Aug 2019, 5:08pm

brynpoeth wrote:Are there any flat bits in Departement 67, or only hills & forests?


There's a wide selection: https://goo.gl/maps/BragSSRjiZujB4Xb8
Have we got time for another cuppa?

merseymouth
Posts: 931
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby merseymouth » 23 Aug 2019, 5:25pm

Hi reohn2, You are almost certainly correct in what you say! The trouble is the lack of information available?
I'm going to try a Ouija Board to see if something is out there.
I'm hoping that my Tricycle Guru will be able to help me? IGICB MM

Carpediem
Posts: 42
Joined: 16 Nov 2017, 12:25am
Location: Lancashire

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby Carpediem » 24 Aug 2019, 12:38am

Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I've been a long distance backpacker and hill walker for decades. Following major surgery 3 years ago I could no longer carry a heavy backpack. Otherwise I am fit but getting old.

I tried cycling but struggled as it is very hilly in my locality. So I got my bike modified and added a motor. I have lost 15kg in weight, my lung function has improved and I am well in the way to coming out of the pre-diabetic phase. I've had several almost free holidays in the Highlands and significantly reduced my carbon contribution as I do most of the shopping on my bike.

I would recommend an ebike to anyone who struggles otherwise, for whatever reason. And ignore the prophets of doom occasionally inhabiting this forum.


As we age the thing that becomes the measure of all else is our quality of life. It's so easy to lose it, slowly and beneath notice until one realises (in a brief lucid period) that one is a gimmer tottering on a perch in the gimmery, attended by Brutus the male nurse. So, we are wise to avoid the bad habits and to seek out the accoutrements that bolster that ever-so-valuable quality of life.

The e-bike is certainly one such valuable accoutrement. Your own case is a classic example that the puritanical lads should examine closely so that they may follow it in due course, as their formerly super-quads, glutes, panters and pump wither and go a bit stringy & feeble. The choice is: perch in that gimmery under the cosh of Brutus or perch on an e-bike and continue the immersion in the multi-paradise of the British landscape, riding with others or alone, not just alive but well.

****
There are other modes and accoutrements that avoid the deadly clasp of the gimmery. A shed with man-toys (or the womanly variety) of tradition. Outings with the grandchildren of a more physical kind than merely shopping or sitting passively at an "entertainment". Some demanding dogs to walk.....

But some lads seem very wedded to only one mode of life, becoming moribund at the slightest setback to their ability to maintain it. They become morose, bad-tempered, depressed then dead. Be warned, doomsters! Save for that e-bike now. :-)

Cugel

Well said cugel
Just having reached the three score years and ten milestone my old bones are starting to object to the hills around Rivington and Belmont which if i remember correctly you are familiar with.
I have my man cave and boys toys but really enjoy my twice weekly 25 mile cycling excursions.SO although saying I wouldn’t be seen dead on one of those “wussy” (ebikes) I’m now seriously thinking one will be my next bike,especially after being overtaken by an old boy on a 20” wheel ebike today...try as I might I couldn’t keep up as he sailed into the sunset.

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2341
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby Cugel » 24 Aug 2019, 8:42am

Carpediem wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I've been a long distance backpacker and hill walker for decades. Following major surgery 3 years ago I could no longer carry a heavy backpack. Otherwise I am fit but getting old.

I tried cycling but struggled as it is very hilly in my locality. So I got my bike modified and added a motor. I have lost 15kg in weight, my lung function has improved and I am well in the way to coming out of the pre-diabetic phase. I've had several almost free holidays in the Highlands and significantly reduced my carbon contribution as I do most of the shopping on my bike.

I would recommend an ebike to anyone who struggles otherwise, for whatever reason. And ignore the prophets of doom occasionally inhabiting this forum.


As we age the thing that becomes the measure of all else is our quality of life. It's so easy to lose it, slowly and beneath notice until one realises (in a brief lucid period) that one is a gimmer tottering on a perch in the gimmery, attended by Brutus the male nurse. So, we are wise to avoid the bad habits and to seek out the accoutrements that bolster that ever-so-valuable quality of life.

The e-bike is certainly one such valuable accoutrement. Your own case is a classic example that the puritanical lads should examine closely so that they may follow it in due course, as their formerly super-quads, glutes, panters and pump wither and go a bit stringy & feeble. The choice is: perch in that gimmery under the cosh of Brutus or perch on an e-bike and continue the immersion in the multi-paradise of the British landscape, riding with others or alone, not just alive but well.

****
There are other modes and accoutrements that avoid the deadly clasp of the gimmery. A shed with man-toys (or the womanly variety) of tradition. Outings with the grandchildren of a more physical kind than merely shopping or sitting passively at an "entertainment". Some demanding dogs to walk.....

But some lads seem very wedded to only one mode of life, becoming moribund at the slightest setback to their ability to maintain it. They become morose, bad-tempered, depressed then dead. Be warned, doomsters! Save for that e-bike now. :-)

Cugel

Well said cugel
Just having reached the three score years and ten milestone my old bones are starting to object to the hills around Rivington and Belmont which if i remember correctly you are familiar with.
I have my man cave and boys toys but really enjoy my twice weekly 25 mile cycling excursions.SO although saying I wouldn’t be seen dead on one of those “wussy” (ebikes) I’m now seriously thinking one will be my next bike,especially after being overtaken by an old boy on a 20” wheel ebike today...try as I might I couldn’t keep up as he sailed into the sunset.


We are the same age - "Aged to Perfection" as a T-shirt of mine declares. It means, "...like a ripe blue cheese". :-)

Although I hope I'm nowhere near the need for an electric bike (and have so far successfully avoided developing the want for one) I can see it'll be a thing for me eventually. At present I would feel shame resorting to one, as I went out regularly (before a move to Wales) with a group containing many 70-summickers as well as the 80 year-old, many of whom could drop me on the harder stretches. I got fitter instead of getting a motor. Even at our age, this is possible - if one is motivated.

When I worked (spit) I was mostly desk bound and developed a horror of turning into a creature such as those all about me: slumped, obese or nearing it; unable to go up half a flight of stair without going red or even purple (perhaps even a deadly white). I've spent a lot of time and effort preserving my lovely self and all it's physical odds & sods. It would be foolish to let them go now.

But so many do, eh? Their quality of life has to be enhanced by binge eating, dranking themselves into a hysterical jollity; assuaging their lack of self-respect by finding scapegoats to distract themselves from a telling introspection. Many define themselves by their work, even if it is of the meaningless kind done by racing rats. When they retire they are lost and the morbidity rate increases dramatically.

Horror! I remind myself of these possibilities whenever the pink settee calls out that I should lay down on it and have a snooze. Into the shed or on to the bike I go, toot sweet. And there's always a collie or two nagging for a another walk.

****
Any tool to help keep orf the rot of ages is welcome. ANything is better than a perch in that gimmery. I hope to drop dead of over-exertion trying to follow the back wheel of the ladywife's e-bike up some Welsh mynydd. She has promised I won't be wasted but composted for next year's strawberries to feed on.

Cugel, still steaming ahead.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1625
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby Oldjohnw » 24 Aug 2019, 9:30am

I'm 70 next weekend..As outlined above I do need an ebike. But I am busy in every way and not seen telly since Xmas.

I enjoyed my work and still feel some need to contribute to the world around for a bit longer. School governor X 2 and Board member of Regional CAB. I worked in public service pretty well all my life and find it hard to drop.

Music is my other great love.
John

Cycling and recycling

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7621
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Postby al_yrpal » 4 Sep 2019, 10:50am

My experience.....On one side of this town its very very hilly. Killer hills are frequent in every direction in a 180 degree arc. On the other side its flatter, but there is an occasional challenging hill. My new Ortler Bosch powered E bike has enabled me to explore the whole 360 degree arc without fear of having to dismount and walk anywhere. Walking on the steepest bits is challenging in itself and even in the lowest gear with Turbo selected it hard to ascend a few of the slopes peddling really hard to assist the Bosch motor.
I am encouraged to choose my routes irrespective of the topography, thus cycling more than I would if I only had a conventional bike. My cycling jaunts are limited to a couple of hours determined by my duties as my wifes aged Carer when I can get someone to sit with her.
Do I get more exercise as a result? I strongly suspect I do. I go further, I explore more, I dont have to select routes that otherwise would be too challenging and, as a cyclist who likes to combine love of the countryside with some challenging exercise the E Bike makes anything possible. My routes are determined solely by cycle.travel and its interesting to note that in some 300 miles of cycling in this hinterland I have only seen 5 cyclists in some 300 miles outside of towns and villages and two of them were on EBikes. In the town Roadies are frequent travelling along the very flat main roads, but the challenging hills in the network of small lanes is only populated by the occasional tractor or Land Rover

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!