Giant Twist Battery

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc.
Smiler1968
Posts: 48
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 8:18am

Giant Twist Battery

Postby Smiler1968 » 9 Sep 2019, 6:29pm

Hi all, I’m refurbishing a Giant Twist battery for an ebike. The battery is a 26v 9amp lump (a few years old now and was stored completely dead for a number of years).

I’ve dismantled the pack and the cells are Sanyo R2112 N51B pink body green ring on top. There are really a few other markings but none that tell me whether these are ma they are. 2200, 2500, 2700, 2900 or even more?????

Does anyone have any idea which battery is the best option to buy?

Regards

Jerry.


I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using Tapatalk

hemo
Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Nov 2017, 5:40pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Giant Twist Battery

Postby hemo » 10 Sep 2019, 12:14am

How many cells in parallel ?

Divide the ah which is 9 by the cells in parallel to get the individual call mah rating.
Cells are old so capacity will be poor compared to todays cells, likely 2250mah if 4 cells in P.

Smiler1968
Posts: 48
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 8:18am

Re: Giant Twist Battery

Postby Smiler1968 » 10 Sep 2019, 7:10am

hemo wrote:How many cells in parallel ?

Divide the ah which is 9 by the cells in parallel to get the individual call mah rating.
Cells are old so capacity will be poor compared to todays cells, likely 2250mah if 4 cells in P.



I didn’t think of that. Thanks. I know I need to keep to 26v to keep the controller happy, is there any issue with increasing the amps?


I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using Tapatalk

hemo
Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Nov 2017, 5:40pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Giant Twist Battery

Postby hemo » 10 Sep 2019, 9:21am

Smiler1968 wrote:
hemo wrote:How many cells in parallel ?

Divide the ah which is 9 by the cells in parallel to get the individual call mah rating.
Cells are old so capacity will be poor compared to todays cells, likely 2250mah if 4 cells in P.



I didn’t think of that. Thanks. I know I need to keep to 26v to keep the controller happy, is there any issue with increasing the amps?


I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using Tapatalk



Do you mean can I increase the battery ah/capacity ?
If so the answer is yes as ah/capacity only affects range, multiply the ah x nominal voltage to get the batteries wh rating.
The more the better if you want range, more ah/capacity means the voltage will be held longer in the upper range of the batteries discharge for a bit more power.

Voltage wise you can't increase without:
A. Changing the BMS.
B. Looking at the capacitors to see what their voltage rating are.

Smiler1968
Posts: 48
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 8:18am

Re: Giant Twist Battery

Postby Smiler1968 » 10 Sep 2019, 9:33am

hemo wrote:
Smiler1968 wrote:
hemo wrote:How many cells in parallel ?

Divide the ah which is 9 by the cells in parallel to get the individual call mah rating.
Cells are old so capacity will be poor compared to todays cells, likely 2250mah if 4 cells in P.



I didn’t think of that. Thanks. I know I need to keep to 26v to keep the controller happy, is there any issue with increasing the amps?


I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using Tapatalk



Do you mean can I increase the battery ah/capacity ?
If so the answer is yes as ah/capacity only affects range, multiply the ah x nominal voltage to get the batteries wh rating.
The more the better if you want range, more ah/capacity means the voltage will be held longer in the upper range of the batteries discharge for a bit more power.

Voltage wise you can't increase without:
A. Changing the BMS.
B. Looking at the capacitors to see what their voltage rating are.


Thanks for that. I intend to replace the cells one for one. So I’m keeping the same configuration but increasing the ah/capacity (by using more up to date cells). Hopefully the voltage won’t change at all.


I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using Tapatalk