Nomad/Bafang?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
arnsider

Nomad/Bafang?

Post by arnsider »

My cherished Thorn Nomad is coming up for twenty years old.
It is the 26inch wheel version.
I wish I was wearing as well, but have hip problems that have reduced me to riding flat easy runs just lately.
A few of my mates have splashed out on Hai and Whyte electrics, but I'd like to explore a retro fit motor for the Nomad.
I have looked at the Thorn recommendation Pendix, but it doesn't seem gutsy enough.
I ride in the South Lakes and Three Peaks so I need some umpffff!
Has anyone fitted a Bafang Mid Drive to a Thorn?
stodd

Re: Nomad/Bafang?

Post by stodd »

Look what people have to say at https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.42/
Many experts (and sadly a few would-be experts) there.

I'd recommend Woosh for kits. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/ It may come out a fraction more than buying bits separately, but you will know you are getting good quality stuff that is all compatible. They'll also give lots of advice both before and after buying ... they aren't out just to make a sale, they want the customer to end up with something suitable.
hemo

Post by hemo »

If it has a standard english thread BB then any of the mid drives should fit, though often some shells need a bit of inner filing to remove over welds etc.
Before splashing out on a mid drive decide if you want drive that is Cadence sensor drive, one that simply needs little input to engage the motor or Torque sensor drive that multiplies the riders input. The latter usually gives a little ore range form the battery.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

arnsider wrote:My cherished Thorn Nomad is coming up for twenty years old.
It is the 26inch wheel version.
I wish I was wearing as well, but have hip problems that have reduced me to riding flat easy runs just lately.
A few of my mates have splashed out on Hai and Whyte electrics, but I'd like to explore a retro fit motor for the Nomad.
I have looked at the Thorn recommendation Pendix, but it doesn't seem gutsy enough.
I ride in the South Lakes and Three Peaks so I need some umpffff!
Has anyone fitted a Bafang Mid Drive to a Thorn?

I can't speak for either Thorn bikes or Bafang Mid drives. I can, however, enthusiastically endorse the idea if adding pedal assist to a cherished bike - and a torque sensor.
John
willcee

Post by willcee »

hi , I have now built 8 machine using Bafang mid motors and am using 2 of these myself.. I would certainly recommend the brand and they are relatively straightforward to fit to any strong steel or alloy frameset. what to look for is frame tyre clearance.. big section tyres do help with the air suspension and extra 15/8 lbs weight .. plus I am told that the 2019 models are certainly perkier than earlier years by my supplier , he also builds batteries , he's based NE England and would be a man to speak with before you take the plunge..pm me if interested.. will
Greenbuilder

Post by Greenbuilder »

A Bafang BBSO2 or smaller BBSO1 will be ideal for your bike, or try a Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid drive; these are just as easy to fit, a bit lighter and the bike is a bit easier to pedal with power switched off. If using a downtime battery, you have to use rivnuts to fit the holder onto your frame. I just did a conversion for a steel 26" mtb. I found MAF scooters good for the Bafang motor (350w), YSPower good for Hailong Lithium battery. The next one will be a Tongsheng.
Adrianlle

Post by Adrianlle »

I have looked at the idea of buying a secondhand Nomad or Raven ( with eccentric bbs) and fitting a Bafang mid motor. However when I corresponded with Woosh they didn’t think it was doable because of the eccentric bottom bracket. The motor needs to fit fairly snugly underneath the bb. Ok to have low profile cable bosses under there but not the bolts for the eccentric bb. If someone has a solution I’d be delighted to hear it. I also have a trusty Thorn XTC. That has a conventional bb but no Rohloff. If I fit a Bafang to that I would want to do a Rohloff retrofit as well. V expensive. Would be much cheaper if a Nomad could be converted.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I wasn't aware of any off center issues with Nomad bottom brackets.
My Nomad is a 26 inch wheel version built around december 2000, and c/w a nine speed deraileur mech.
Adrianlle

Post by Adrianlle »

Ah! I thought all Nomads had Rohloffs for which Thorn use eccentric bbs.Apologies for setting a hare running. As yours has a derailleur it will be like my Thorn XTC with a conventional bb. So we are both looking at the same project. I am thinking either of a Bafang BbS01 kit from Woosh ( who have a v good reputation) or a BBS01 ETM kit ( which has extra torque) from Brighton E bikes ( also with a v good reputation). The latter works out about a £100 or so more expensive but looks a v capable system. Both are legal which I’m keen to respect. What I am also pondering is what cassette to use. The Bafang chainring is a 46t but there after market smaller and larger ones. I really need hill climbing capability so am pondering how to achieve that without having to replace most of the existing gearing. I have a 3x9 with 11-23 cassette at moment I think. Any ideas gratefully received.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Gearing.. now i couldn't speak about the torque of your intended 01's... I thought that they were all superseded by the much superior electronic innards in the BSOB 02's, perhaps they are old stock.. but as to gearing change the front chainring from the std Bafang heavy steel offering to a Lekkie 42, and on the road experience in my piece of Ulster has shown me that an 8 sp cassette and chain with a wide ratio cassette are all thats needed ...wide cassette because the legal 250 motors while good aren't pumping bags of torque, so easier to lift the chain onto a bigger sprocket than embarrass the motor using a close ratio cassette..its also kinder to the battery... and the motor.. will
Adrianlle

Post by Adrianlle »

Thanks. Helpful. I have a 9 speed Thorn XTC at moment on drops with Sti shifters. Undecided at moment wether to convert to Thorn comfort bars etc. Prob decide once the motor is on. The Bbs02 you mention is 350w I think so not legal. What range cassette are you running with the 42t lekkie and does it manage steep hills ?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Adrianlle wrote:Thanks. Helpful. I have a 9 speed Thorn XTC at moment on drops with Sti shifters. Undecided at moment wether to convert to Thorn comfort bars etc. Prob decide once the motor is on. The Bbs02 you mention is 350w I think so not legal. What range cassette are you running with the 42t lekkie and does it manage steep hills ?

You can buy the BBS02 plated at 250w.
I have one here.
(Not that the plate rating is meaningful, it's all software)
willcee

Post by willcee »

the 42 is mated with a 11/30 8 sp if memory serves. but then as Kwackers says its a 250 same as they all are... just that mine is a very good strong one.. in any case who's to say what it is.... they are all the same size inside and outside as is said on here its dependant on the control and the electronics within.. I doubt that the Giant or Bosch etc are what they say on the box, again who's to say or prove different yet they claim the torque is 80 n/m in their brochures... And I only really use 4/5 of those sprockets, the reason for the 30 is if you ever have to pedal home with an issue where there's no power or drive available..It Happens ... just last week on a beautiful day we did unknowingly 15 miles extra finding a flatter faster different route home from the coast [20 miles away].. believe me i didn't realise until i was looking at my display with the battery symbol flashing in bright sunlight hard to see.. did about 3/4 miles on leg power into the wind.. saved about enough for the last 2 hilly miles at reduced speed..this is with a 100 n/m unit ... when home we checked we had 48 miles and it was enjoyable and unnoticed...will
billym444

Post by billym444 »

so i may get shoot at here but im going to go ahead.

so this bafang bbs01 etm. is it real. so first theres no real info on it. the second and this is what i think it is. all bafang 250 500 and 750 look the same. apart from the data on the case. so you can get on 36v a 250w 350w and a 500w all look the same and ive no doubt the all fit the same case. so you could do one of 2 things, change the case or just change the markings on the case.

restricted it to 15.5mph and as i fitted a far few motors the only diffrence will be the tourque. so being honest all i think a eta is, is a 36v 350w or 500w rebadged.

so i could be wrong but ive never come across in info in the control that tells you the kit wattage, other than the markings on the case. so scrape the motor size of the case and restrict to 15.5 and theres no way of telling the diffrence on the 36v versions. unless someone knows diffrent.
big Bafang fan lol
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

billym444 wrote:so scrape the motor size of the case and restrict to 15.5 and theres no way of telling the diffrence on the 36v versions. unless someone knows diffrent.

From everything I've seen and heard the motors are physically the same all the differences are in the software.
If that is actually true then armed with a programming cable you don't need to physically modify them at all.