Getting started

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Chippyrich

Getting started

Post by Chippyrich »

I think I want a hardtail e bike. I ve got a budget of around £2k. I m gonna use the bike on my own private trails so I don t want it to be restricted to 15.5 mph. I don t want the deristriction to void any warranties. I d prefer crank drive. Any recommendations?
Oldjohnw

Re: Getting started

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wonder if your aims are mutually exclusive ie derestricted but with the warranty?
John
Chippyrich

Post by Chippyrich »

Hence the question.
I believe there’s a Cyclotricity Stealth which almost fits the bill ie there’s a simple on/off switch to deristrict but it’s a rear hub drive not crank drive.
willcee

Post by willcee »

hi, can put you in touch with a well experienced chap in the N.E. who would be able to build your wishes, there's no need to derestrict the motor you need however given that you are off road, off grid, and obviously going to be demanding what it can and does supply in spades... warranty is an issue with anything that comes from the far east.. you could deal with a pukka operation here however if its a motor for off grid/off road operation again i cannot see warranty being within their remit.. bit like going motor racing and buying a race engine... many before you have happily gone the same route , its just you need to know what you are about before you get serious.. will
CXRAndy

Post by CXRAndy »

You can buy a Tongscheng TSDZ2 custom kit from https://www.electrifybike.com/store/c24 ... ors.html#/ It can be programmed with custom firmware or come preset with it. They also sell high output Bafang systems

Both are crank drive
billym444

Post by billym444 »

Here is a quick answer :-

There is no such thing as an on/off-road its either one or the other if its uk. it can only be 15.5mph and 250w. you cant have a switch that changes it over.

your best hope is buy a 250w that isn't restricted and behave yourself on the road. i read something a while back about the 250/1000w that you can join a wire. simply but if its capable of a 1000w then its a 1000w.

Putting an off/on switch wont make it legal if its capable of more than the law states. just what ive read.

Possibly the safest way is a bafang 250, but you would have to set at 15.5mph for road use and up it when you got of road to stay legal.

I could always be wrong . . .
big Bafang fan lol