Replacement battery for e-bike (different voltage and Amp hours), will it work?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Highkicker79

Replacement battery for e-bike (different voltage and Amp hours), will it work?

Post by Highkicker79 »

I purchased a custom built e-bike from someone on ebay a few years ago. That person is no longer on ebay and I can't get in touch with them. The bike has been really good and generally quite reliable. I use it every day for commuting but the battery capacity has started to degrade where it's sometimes not enough to cover my mileage for the day.

The battery I have is 36v and 13Ah (which comes to about 468Wh).

I had a look on ebay for replacement batteries and I saw this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48V-10Ah-Li- ... 3889097439 It looks identical including the connection, keys, mounting etc. However the battery is 48v and 10Ah (which comes to 480Wh).

What would happen if I use this in my current e-bike? Would it just work? Or would the increased voltage burn out the e-bike motor?
Audax67

Re: Replacement battery for e-bike (different voltage and Amp hours), will it work?

Post by Audax67 »

The higher the amp-hours the longer the charge will last. I wouldn't care to run a 36v motor on 48v, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
stodd

Re: Replacement battery for e-bike (different voltage and Amp hours), will it work?

Post by stodd »

The motor would probably be OK at 48v (if used with care). However, the controller would almost certainly need to be changed, and maybe the display unit.

You would be fine with a battery of a different Ah rating; but it does of course need the same mechanical and electrical connections.
If you ask on https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.42/ you will get lots more answers.

It may be worth considering having the battery rebuilt: people regularly recommend Jimmy. https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

stodd wrote:The motor would probably be OK at 48v (if used with care). However, the controller would almost certainly need to be changed, and maybe the display unit.

You would be fine with a battery of a different Ah rating; but it does of course need the same mechanical and electrical connections.
If you ask on https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.42/ you will get lots more answers.

It may be worth considering having the battery rebuilt: people regularly recommend Jimmy. https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/

Awesome, thank you.
billym444

Post by billym444 »

if your ebike is a 36v then run a 36v batery. its a no branier. your motor may or may not take 48v but unless you have the motor spec why risk it. again you control box may or may not take 48v, and again unless you have the spec why risk it.

so to the battery in your link, i wond first how someone can make a 48v 10ah battery with a charger and postage for £172.00 considering the case alone is $40 at least.

a second point and bare this in mind. theres no infomation on the cells used at all, normaly a good reason for that, because there a load of crap in there.

so some advice that i hope many will take and other will give, when it comes to batteries there no good cheap batteries, if its cheap theres a good reason. you can use decent cells and bms and pay or you can use £1 cell and £4 bms boards and hope for the best.
big Bafang fan lol
hemo

Post by hemo »

billym444 wrote:if your ebike is a 36v then run a 36v batery. its a no branier. your motor may or may not take 48v but unless you have the motor spec why risk it. again you control box may or may not take 48v, and again unless you have the spec why risk it.

so to the battery in your link, i wond first how someone can make a 48v 10ah battery with a charger and postage for £172.00 considering the case alone is $40 at least.

a second point and bare this in mind. theres no infomation on the cells used at all, normaly a good reason for that, because there a load of crap in there.

so some advice that i hope many will take and other will give, when it comes to batteries there no good cheap batteries, if its cheap theres a good reason. you can use decent cells and bms and pay or you can use £1 cell and £4 bms boards and hope for the best.

Cells will be cheap China knock offs or poor branded cells that no one really uses now.
hemo

Post by hemo »

You can use 48v with a 36v motor if you know the voltage of the main in rush capacitor (which means opening the controller to look).
A lot of 36v controllers only have a 50v rated cap so it will blow if use hook up 48v (54.6v fully charged), 48v volt capable controllers have a 63v in rush capacitor.
The battery is a Dolphin /09 case battery many out lets sell them.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

It is a gamble to use a 48V battery. Even if it does work, it is probable that the controller will get hotter and burn out at some earlier point in time in the future time. Keep googling for a 36V. Using a higher capacity battery like a 15Ah or 18Ah shouldn't be a problem if it physically fits.
On the other hand to the one you are using, maybe if it was built using quality components for reliability and not just cost, the controller will easily cope with a fully charged 48 V battery. Assuming the controller is correctly matched to the motor, the motor shouldn't be affected by the battery difference as the controller is electronic and controls the power supplied, being designed to give the required power to the motor both when the battery is fresh, and when it is nearing discharged, rather than slowing down like old torches used to get dimmer and dimmer and dimmer . Unless the controller was specified to give the rider more power, and faster than legal speeds. Beware of cheap batteries that simply won't last....
CXRAndy

Post by CXRAndy »

What Motor kit is it? Some kits can be reprogrammed.

I have a Tongscheng TSDZ2 custom kit. It has the benefit of being a 48V kit but I run a 52V battery to aid range and cooler running by using higher voltage not Anps. I can alter battery voltage to suit what battery I decide to use
asinus

Post by asinus »

I'd go to The Electric Transport Company (who have branches in York, Cambridge and elsewhere) to get your existing one re-celled. They replaced the cells in my battery 7 years ago and it's still holding charge well and stably. Not cheap - cost about £400 for a 24V system - but I think it's a quality job and might be less dear by now.
hemo

Post by hemo »

asinus wrote:I'd go to The Electric Transport Company (who have branches in York, Cambridge and elsewhere) to get your existing one re-celled. They replaced the cells in my battery 7 years ago and it's still holding charge well and stably. Not cheap - cost about £400 for a 24V system - but I think it's a quality job and might be less dear by now.

£400 is expensive, go to Jimmy at ebikebatteries .co.uk for quality cells at a cheaper price for re-celling.
stodd

Post by stodd »

hemo wrote:£400 is expensive, go to Jimmy at ebikebatteries .co.uk for quality cells at a cheaper price for re-celling.

I endorse that: I've never used Jimmy, but (almost?) everybody on the Pedalecs forum who has praises the service and value.
hemo

Post by hemo »

stodd wrote:
hemo wrote:£400 is expensive, go to Jimmy at ebikebatteries .co.uk for quality cells at a cheaper price for re-celling.

I endorse that: I've never used Jimmy, but (almost?) everybody on the Pedalecs forum who has praises the service and value.

I used Jimmy two years ago after my brother recommended him, a day out up to North London to meet an engaging character in his work place who loves the job he is doing. I took along my in frame battery case from my Swizzbee and had my 24v battery re-celled cost was £250 (collected it a week later).