Charge battery from car socket

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
bikcal

Charge battery from car socket

Post by bikcal »

Anybody tried charging ebike battery from car battery via cigarette lighter socket? Wondering what sort of adaptor might do it. Reason for asking is problem of charging ebike battery if wild camping
stodd

Re: Charge battery from car socket

Post by stodd »

Most ebike batteries are 36v or 48v; a few 24v. So you would need a converter of some kind; probably to 240v ac then use regular ebike battery charger.

An ebike battery is typically 10aH or more, so a 36v one would take 30aH from a 12v car battery even not allowing for losses. Typical car battery is only 50aH.

Where will you find the car battery if wild camping?

So, sadly overall probably not a good idea.
Last edited by stodd on 15 Oct 2019, 8:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

We use a "fast charger " to charge 36 volt traction batteries from a direct link to the car batteries on our fleet of ISUZU D-MAX trucks.. You do have to keep the engine running during the charging period, and it can be over an hour ... you also have to factor in the cost of the charger (£420) , the fuel cost and the emissions created, into the bigger picture ...

For us it's a last resort move ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wild camp with an ebike. Wild camping doesn't involve a car for me. I prearrange with a pub or something to charge my battery. Done this quite a number of times without difficulty.
John