It's very wet! - submerging the electric motor in floodwater

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
axel_knutt

Re: It's very wet!

Post by axel_knutt »

rbrian wrote:
rotavator wrote:Stuff newspapers into your shoes to help them dry out, that is the good old fashioned way

I haven't had an actual newspaper for years. I did try stuffing my iPad in, but it didn't fit, so they're sat on top of the radiator!

I think the conventional wisdom is that forced drying cracks the leather. The wettest my boots ever got was from walking through bracken laden with water from a storm during the night, it ran down my legs and completely filled my boots. I stuffed them with newspaper when I took them off each night, but they were still wet when I went home four days later.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
rbrian

Re: It's very wet!

Post by rbrian »

axel_knutt wrote:
rbrian wrote:
rotavator wrote:Stuff newspapers into your shoes to help them dry out, that is the good old fashioned way

I haven't had an actual newspaper for years. I did try stuffing my iPad in, but it didn't fit, so they're sat on top of the radiator!

I think the conventional wisdom is that forced drying cracks the leather. The wettest my boots ever got was from walking through bracken laden with water from a storm during the night, it ran down my legs and completely filled my boots. I stuffed them with newspaper when I took them off each night, but they were still wet when I went home four days later.

My boots are entirely synthetic, and they survived the radiator just fine, fully dry by morning, and no observable ill effects. Much as I hate the idea of plastic pollution, the fact is technical fabrics perform better.

It's been a week, and the motor is working fine. Thanks all for your responses.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
Polisman

Re: It's very wet! - submerging the electric motor in floodwater

Post by Polisman »

Do not, no matter what the state of your boots, put them in the oven I did this years ago and the glue that held the soles on simply melted, and that was the end of the boots!