Taking ebike on aircraft

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
tmac100

Taking ebike on aircraft

Post by tmac100 »

Any positive experiences?

I want to buy a used Van Moof, but they don't ship to my country (Qatar). BA will allow me to check it in on my flight sector to IST, BUT TK won't for IST-DOH, yet they allow the check-in of mobility assist equipment. The ebike sure helps me with my bu******- up right knee (with leg brace). Maybe for TK, I should get a note from Van Moof stating their ebike assists pedalling and mobility.

Ideas?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Taking ebike on aircraft

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Seafreight?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

The Samsung Note 7 debacle (not to mention the Airbus A380) has made airlines very nervous about lithium batteries. The batteries on ebikes are far larger than those in mobile phones, making potential fires harder to deal with. You might be better off trying something like UPS, or maybe plan an epic cycling holiday and ride it home?
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
tmac100

Post by tmac100 »

Seems like I should either have it's wheels removed and all separated parts (in boxes) labeled as "Pedal assisted mobility aid" or wait for another sale in a couple of years when I retire to Portugal.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The ebike can go by plane but the main part that makes it an ebike can't, the battery has to go by land and sea.
The battery has to be declared as you will be potentially be putting the plane and passengers at peril, once declared airlines will refuse.
tmac100

Post by tmac100 »

Yup, best I wait until I retire in Portugal, and then take an ebike or ordinary "pushbike" on a train. :wink: